CFB kickoff routine

ManningBerry#1

I figured since it was 30 days way from the best time of the year I would ask everyone what their routines are on the first day of CFB.

Mine, as I always do, I grab some steaks and grill to a perfect medium well. I make sure my Tennessee hat and shirt are washed so that all bad mojo from the previous season is gone, and I crank up the surround sound and immerse myself in the couch. It may sound boring to some, but that's how I roll.

What say you Volnation?

Option 1 - Big game > wife not going < I am ready to roll about 3.5 hr to head to Knoxville so I can take in game day tailgates and the VOL WALK to support the team.

Option 2 - Big game > wife going < I am ready to roll about 1.5 hr to head to Knoxville so I can get to my seats ready for the game.

Non Big game is usually mirror option 2

I have my annual kickoff cookout and party with friends and family. 30 days away can't :censored: wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance2:

Reactions: 1 person
Wake up, play Ricky top, eat a big breakfast, grocery shop, come home watch gameday or whatever until noon, start slamming beers, cook food, watch UT whenever they come on, drink in celebration or disgust. Pass out

Reactions: 3 people
Always grill out with the fam and watch the first game on tv. Whenever at the games though, get there around 3-4 hours early, walk around to tailgate and see the pregame festivities on campus. After that get a good spot at the Vol walk before trekking into Neyland!

Husband TENNESSEE magnifies the car... leave at least 6-7hrs early, from Woodstock... stop at Cracker Barrel, I-75, Exit 49.. on into Knoxville.. get car parked, demagnified and on down Peyton Manning- be with friends & ready ourselves for the Walk and the Pride.. up into the Terrace for some grub, plop in our seats and LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basically our routine for each and every home game. :salute: Everyone should experience the electricity on campus on game day... ain't nothing better!!!!

GO V0LS..
GO BIG ORANGE .. :rock:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I figured since it was 30 days way from the best time of the year I would ask everyone what their routines are on the first day of CFB.

Mine, as I always do, I grab some steaks and grill to a perfect medium well. I make sure my Tennessee hat and shirt are washed so that all bad mojo from the previous season is gone, and I crank up the surround sound and immerse myself in the couch. It may sound boring to some, but that's how I roll.

What say you Volnation?

Wouldn't it be nice to NOT wash your hat and shirt so you don't lose the good mojo? I did that with my old football pants and it worked. A bit too aromatic for some folks but it worked.

What say you Volnation?

I've never heard perfect and medium-well go together. Hey, your steaks, your temp. :good!:

I make sure I have plenty of beer and vodka. I make sure There's a cooler with plenty of ice by the pool. I make sure the remote batteries are new so when I'm in the pool I can switch channels without a problem.

I don't have a set menu. It depends on when the game is. If it's a day-game it's wings, dogs, etc. Night game and I have all day to cook, pork butt, pastrami, steaks.

Wake up, play Ricky top, eat a big breakfast, grocery shop, come home watch gameday or whatever until noon, start slamming beers, cook food, watch UT whenever they come on, drink in celebration or disgust. Pass out

I like the sound of that, considering my name is Ricky....

Yeah nothing gets you going better than hearing some good ol Ricky Top before the game! :)

If it's a home game- Get up and head to Knoxville and be there about 3 hours before kick off. Tailgate in 11th street garage until about 30 mins before kick off and head to the stadium.

If it's an away game- Get up and watch College Game Day. Cook out around the game time and drink some whiskey. Then watch what ever other big college game is on that day.

the entire week leading up to it i spend watching my favorite tennessee games (beating bama and florida typically) and finding footage of john ward commentary. then spend the day in orange watching CFB all day and drinking beer and eating manly food (subs, buffalo dip, etc)

I've never heard perfect and medium-well go together. Hey, your steaks, your temp. :good!:

I make sure I have plenty of beer and vodka. I make sure There's a cooler with plenty of ice by the pool. I make sure the remote batteries are new so when I'm in the pool I can switch channels without a problem.

I don't have a set menu. It depends on when the game is. If it's a day-game it's wings, dogs, etc. Night game and I have all day to cook, pork butt, pastrami, steaks.

Sounds almost exactly like what I do. Roll the big screen out on the covered pation, hop in a floaty, and I have a UT floating cooler so the beer is never far from my reach.

What say you Volnation?

So that's what happened in '99.

Looks like Pennington got his wish.

No more Rocky Top. It's been replaced.

Every year my wife and I drop the girls off with my dad and leave on that Friday morning to go to Chattanooga. We stay downtown at the Courtyard. We have a couple of favorite restaurants we always eat at on Friday. On Saturday morning we sleep in and then I'll wake up and turn on the first college gameday of the year. We eat an early lunch somewhere and watch college football. After that we walk around downtown and visit different stores. Sometimes we'll walk over the bridge or we catch a matinee movie and then watch the Tennessee game at BWW or Taco Mac. We just love downtown Chattanooga so we eagerly look forward to that Friday morning of labor day weekend every year!

Every year my wife and I drop the girls off with my dad and leave on that Friday morning to go to Chattanooga. We stay downtown at the Courtyard. We have a couple of favorite restaurants we always eat at on Friday. On Saturday morning we sleep in and then I'll wake up and turn on the first college gameday of the year. We eat an early lunch somewhere and watch college football. After that we walk around downtown and visit different stores. Sometimes we'll walk over the bridge or we catch a matinee movie and then watch the Tennessee game at BWW or Taco Mac. We just love downtown Chattanooga so we eagerly look forward to that Friday morning of labor day weekend every year!

You take a trip to Chatty to watch UT's 1st game? You realize Neyland is only 1.5 hours up I-75, right?

Reactions: 4 people
Leave the house about 9 hours before kickoff, get there about 4-4.5 hours before game time. Go check out a few shops (I miss McMillan's & that little blonde that used to work there) and some of the sights of Knoxville before heading over to the rock, Volunteer Village, and the VolWalk. After that, I usually will stick around and watch the band before heading to my seats.

You take a trip to Chatty to watch UT's 1st game? You realize Neyland is only 1.5 hours up I-75, right?

We don't go JUST to watch the first game. It's our chance to get away for two days where it's just us. We usually go to a game at Neyland later in the year.

We don't go JUST to watch the first game. It's our chance to get away for two days where it's just us. We usually go to a game at Neyland later in the year.

Gotcha. That way you can see the colors.

I'm going to do that this year. My wife has never seen the Fall colors in ET.

Gotcha. That way you can see the colors.

I'm going to do that this year. My wife has never seen the Fall colors in ET.

Love the Fall colors and season. So much so that we named our second daughter Autumn!

VN Store

Back