Chaney vs Cutcliffe

nash101

which of our former OC's was the best developer of talent and better coordinator? And what should we expect from our new guy, Mike Bajakian?

Lot of folks sang the praises of Chaney simply due to Drew Brees. Last year he boasted that the Vols had 3 of the best QB talents he'd ever seen, yet Bray went undrafted and the jury is still out on Worley and Peterman after the Orange & White Game. Not sure how much he helped them.

Many fans will love Chaney's quote in Arkansas "Coach Bielema wants to run the football and be a balanced offensive attack, and that's exactly what I believe in to win in the SEC and that's what we'll be doing."
Jim Chaney: 'What is Rocky Top?'

David Cutcliffe has both Peyton and Eli Manning atop his resume, and now Sean Renfree is drafted from Duke while our own Tyler Bray was not. Coach Cut worked wonders with QB talent.

And what about our new OC, Mike Bajakian?
Time will tell what he does at UT and how our QB's develop and prosper. I'm expecting big thngs.
Incidently, he was listed as the 5th best asst coaching hire in the SEC.......Chaney was listed just below at #6
Ranking the 10 best SEC assistant coaching hires | Saturday Down South

Former: Cut - and it's not even close.

I hope for a balanced offense from CMB.

Reactions: 5 people
They have all been doing it for quite a while. Styles may differ but it would be hard to argue they don't know what they are doing. They are probably all good in their own ways.

Reactions: 1 person
which of our former OC's was the best developer of talent and better coordinator? And what should we expect from our new guy, Mike Bajakian?

Lot of folks sang the praises of Chaney simply due to Drew Brees. Last year he boasted that the Vols had 3 of the best QB talents he'd ever seen, yet Bray went undrafted and the jury is still out on Worley and Peterman after the Orange & White Game. Not sure how much he helped them.

Many fans will love Chaney's quote in Arkansas "Coach Bielema wants to run the football and be a balanced offensive attack, and that's exactly what I believe in to win in the SEC and that's what we'll be doing."
Jim Chaney: 'What is Rocky Top?'

David Cutcliffe has both Peyton and Eli Manning atop his resume, and now Sean Renfree is drafted from Duke while our own Tyler Bray was not. Coach Cut worked wonders with QB talent.

And what about our new OC, Mike Bajakian?
Time will tell what he does at UT and how our QB's develop and prosper. I'm expecting big thngs.
Incidently, he was listed as the 5th best asst coaching hire in the SEC.......Chaney was listed just below at #6
Ranking the 10 best SEC assistant coaching hires | Saturday Down South

Cut is the ****

I'm sure Chaney would have struggled coaching Peyton

Cutcliffe IMO. Although he benefitted from almost always having a defense at Tennessee that could keep him from having to find a way to score 50 points just to have a chance to win a ballgame.

Reactions: 2 people
I naturally wanna say Cutcliffe, but Chaney likely had lesser talent, and although he didn't run the ball as much it was mostly cuz the running game sucked. Must remember the backs Cut had vs Chan's. Chaney had extreme pressure last year with such an amazingly awful defense.

2012 Vol Defense = new word for terrible.

The job Cut did in Tee's first season was remarkable. And he was able to do the same with a number of QBs. See also Erik Ainge.

that was Tee's 3rd season at UT

I would pick Cut out of the 2 but he just gets a little too much praise IMO based on the talent he had available to him

From a player development standpoint - I've got a two word answer - Peyton and Eli.

Not even close.

I would pick Cut out of the 2 but he just gets a little too much praise IMO based on the talent he had available to him

Outside of Peyton and Eli, he has not coached another QB with enough talent to start in the NFL. Yet, his QBs have typically been very productive. In any event, he is leaps and bounds ahead of Chaney.

Talent is part of it, sure. I would have the same opinion if it weren't for the one year turnaround miracle he did with Ainge. That was amazing. I would take Cut any day of the week and give him every bit of the credit.

Reactions: 4 people
Outside of Peyton and Eli, he has not coached another QB with enough talent to start in the NFL. Yet, his QBs have typically been very productive. In any event, he is leaps and bounds ahead of Chaney.

at UT his offenses were stacked. No one would turn that down but it's much easier to call plays with that

his QB's at OM (outside of Eli) were not good and he didn't really do much with them.

Very surprised Beliema chose Chaney to run his offense at Arky. Beliema is about as smashmouth as they come, and Chaney likes to throw the deep post on 3rd and 2. Am I alone on this?

Very surprised Beliema chose Chaney to run his offense at Arky. Beliema is about as smashmouth as they come, and Chaney likes to throw the deep post on 3rd and 2. Am I alone on this?

The spread it around with Russell Wilson.

Cutty...Both Mannings. Head Coach experience too. Taking Duke to a bowl. No contest.

Jim Chaney - Purdue (1997-2005), Tennessee (2009-2012) 13 seasons as OC.

QB passes for 2000 yards.

1997 - Billy Dicken (3000+)
1998 - Drew Brees (3000+)
1999 - Drew Brees (3000+)
2000 - Drew Brees (3000+)
2001 - NA
2002 - Kyle Orton
2003 - Kyle Orton
2004 - Kyle Orton (3000+)
2005 - NA
2009* - Jonathon Crompton
2010 - NA
2011 - NA
2012 - Tyler Bray (3000+)

1000 Yard RB

2002 - Joey Harris
2009 - Montario Hardesty*
2010 - Tauren Poole

1000 Yard WR

1997 - Brian Alford
1999 - Chris Daniels
2002 - John Strandeford
2003 - John Strandeford
2004 - Taylor Stubbifield
2011 - DaRick Rogers
2012 - Justin Hunter

David Cutcliffe - Tennessee (1993-1998) (2006) 7 seasons as OC.

QB passes for 2000 yards.

1993 - Heath Shuler
1994 - NA
1995 - Peyton Manning
1996 - Peyton Manning (3000+)
1997 - Peyton Manning (3000+)
1998 - Tee Martin
2006 - Eric Ainge

1000 Yard RB

1993 - Charlie Garner
1994 - James Stewart
1995 - Jay Graham
1997 - Jamal Lewis

1000 Yard WR

1995 - Joey Kent
1996 - Joey Kent
1997 - Marcus Nash
2006 - Robert Meachem

Chaney had a 2000 yard QB, a 1000 yard rusher, and a 1000 yard receiver in the same year, once in 2002.

Cutcliffe had a 2000 yard QB, a 1000 yard rusher and a 1000 yard receiver in the same year twice, 1995 and 1997.

* the Kiffin season, Chaney was OC, but it was Kiffin's offense and LK called the plays.

Not at all. I thought his quote about knowing you have to run the ball to win in the SEC was interesting

Then again maybe he just played the cards he was dealt Maybe he didnt think we had the horses to have a good running game so he tried catch them off guard with passes

VN Store

Back