Chaney vs Cutcliffe

Maybe it was all Bray as Gunslinger / not listening to his coaches.

But regardless, that is on Chaney too (because Cut would have had Worley winning ballgames while Bray rode pine).

Chaney was the most gawd-awful in-game OC we have ever had. How many drives did his play-calling kill? People complained about Randy Sanders????? Randy beat us with six plays and a WR at QB.

This is a serious question?

Just look at their resumes

Coach Cut 2 HOF QB's: assuming Eli gets in. Imo there is no question.

Chaney: Drew Brees sure he is a probable HOF.

Im not completely sure Cut would have changed Bray but to me there is no question you go with Cut.

Maybe it was all Bray as Gunslinger / not listening to his coaches.

But regardless, that is on Chaney too (because Cut would have had Worley winning ballgames while Bray rode pine).

Chaney was the most gawd-awful in-game OC we have ever had. How many drives did his play-calling kill? People complained about Randy Sanders????? Randy beat us with six plays and a WR at QB.

That tell you have bad we really were.

Thaddeus Lewis, rivals 3 star...visited South Florida, Pittsburgh, TCU and signed with Cutcliffe at Duke.

As a true freshman, he had a 52.9 completion percentage, 2134 yards and his TD/INT ratio was 11/16.

By his senior year, he had a 61 completion percentage, 3,330 yards and his TD/INT ratio was 20/8.

At present he is a member of the Cleveland Browns, signed a two year contract in 2012, for 1.2 million.

Sean Renfree, rivals 3 star...visited Ga. Tech, and Boise St. , signed with Cutcliffe at Duke. Sat behind Lewis in 2009, before taking over as a Sophomore.

His first year, he had a 61.4 completion percentage, for 3,133 yards and his TD/INT ratio was 14/17.

By his senior year, he had a 67.3 completion percentage, for 3,113 yards and a TD/INT ratio of 19/10. There were two receivers with over 1000 yards.

Drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in 2013.

which of our former OC's was the best developer of talent and better coordinator? And what should we expect from our new guy, Mike Bajakian?

Lot of folks sang the praises of Chaney simply due to Drew Brees. Last year he boasted that the Vols had 3 of the best QB talents he'd ever seen, yet Bray went undrafted and the jury is still out on Worley and Peterman after the Orange & White Game. Not sure how much he helped them.

Many fans will love Chaney's quote in Arkansas "Coach Bielema wants to run the football and be a balanced offensive attack, and that's exactly what I believe in to win in the SEC and that's what we'll be doing."
Jim Chaney: 'What is Rocky Top?'

David Cutcliffe has both Peyton and Eli Manning atop his resume, and now Sean Renfree is drafted from Duke while our own Tyler Bray was not. Coach Cut worked wonders with QB talent.

And what about our new OC, Mike Bajakian?
Time will tell what he does at UT and how our QB's develop and prosper. I'm expecting big thngs.
Incidently, he was listed as the 5th best asst coaching hire in the SEC.......Chaney was listed just below at #6
Ranking the 10 best SEC assistant coaching hires | Saturday Down South

I didn't really know how a comparison would turn out. Compared to Chaney, Cutcliffe had a shorter resume, as an OC.

After a little work, a little study...there is no question both are good when they have good QB's...Chaney had Brees and Orton, one is a HOF'er, the other was a starter in the NFL.

As an OC, Cutcliffe had Manning, but Shuler and Martin and Ainge all got NFL opportunities. His QB's at Duke have gotten dramatically better and are getting or have gotten to the NFL as well.

Then, of course, there is Eli...but people forget that Cutcliffe inherited Romaro Miller from Tubberville his first year at Ole Miss. HE got invited to the NFL Combine and made the squad for the Vikings, albiet for 1 season, played in the CFL too.

Maybe Chaney gets the short end of the stick because of how he didn't help Bray progress.

Bray in his sophomore year was 147/247 (59.5%), 1983 yards, 17 TD's/ 6 INT's

His junior year he was, 268/451 (59.4%), 3,612 yards, 34 TD's/ 12 INT's...The Comp. % is nearly identical and with a little less than twice the attempts he doubled exactly his TD/INT ratio.

I've said many times that I'd love to see what Cutcliffe would've been able to do, we'll never know.

I think we all know that the attitude Bray showed at times would not have been tolerated by Cutcliffe.

I don't know enough about Bajakan, but I plan on looking in to it, just for fun.:)

GBO!

Very surprised Beliema chose Chaney to run his offense at Arky. Beliema is about as smashmouth as they come, and Chaney likes to throw the deep post on 3rd and 2. Am I alone on this?

Great move, solid hire by Bielema. He recognizes that to succeed in the SEC his "O" will need balance, JC has SEC experience (Bielema and Ash do not) as well as an established recruiting network.

They coach different offenses....I liked Cut's better. While Chaney was able to score more points our "ball controll" and "time of possesion" sux'd.

Mike Bajakian OC - Central Michigan (2007-09), Cincinnati (2010-12)

Inherited Dan Lefevour his first year at CM. Lefevour passed for 3,652 yards, 27 TDs and 13 INT's with a Comp. % of 65.4. Lefevour rushed for 1.122 yards and 19 TD's, he also caught a TD.

In addition, 2 WR's had over 1000 yards.

In 2008, Lefevour's Comp % rose to 66.8, 21 TD's/6 INT's, must have been hurt part of the year, because his attempts and yardage fall off the charts in October of this season.

In 2009, Lefevour's Comp. % is an incredible 69.7, 28 TD's/ 7 INT's for 3,438 yards. He ran for 713 yards and 15 TD's, which led the team. Antonio Brown was just short of 1200 yards receiving.

At Cincy he had Pike and Collaros...the problem is the staff was never anywhere for more than four years so it's difficult to see how the players they actually recruited did versus those they inherited from Kelly.

You need to keep in mind that the Manning brothers were raised by a very good NFL quarterback who had developed their talents well before they entered college. They had been taught mechanics, reads, defenses, etc their entire life. Peyton was (and still is) a relentless student of the game, and both of them had the advantage of practicing with top flight receivers (before college) because of their fathers association with the NFL.

The reason I say this is because I think that Cutcliffe is getting too much credit for "developing" the Mannings. The Mannings were well coached by Cutcliffe, but I would not say he is soley, or even largely, responsible for their abilities.

Reactions: 1 person
Cutcliffe is one of the greatest OCs of all time IMO. Sucks it hasn't translated 100% to being a HC.

Chaney was great, just not Cut.

You need to keep in mind that the Manning brothers were raised by a very good NFL quarterback who had developed their talents well before they entered college. They had been taught mechanics, reads, defenses, etc their entire life. Peyton was (and still is) a relentless student of the game, and both of them had the advantage of practicing with top flight receivers (before college) because of their fathers association with the NFL.

The reason I say this is because I think that Cutcliffe is getting too much credit for "developing" the Mannings. The Mannings were well coached by Cutcliffe, but I would not say he is soley, or even largely, responsible for their abilities.

I agree with your first paragraph. Doesn't it tell you something that with all that being true that they both chose to be coached by CDC?

Last edited:
The nod goes to...Cutcliffe, but as others have said, Chaney had less talent to work with AT QB and other offensive positions, and his offense played with some BAD defensive teams at UT too.

which of our former OC's was the best developer of talent and better coordinator? And what should we expect from our new guy, Mike Bajakian?

Lot of folks sang the praises of Chaney simply due to Drew Brees. Last year he boasted that the Vols had 3 of the best QB talents he'd ever seen, yet Bray went undrafted and the jury is still out on Worley and Peterman after the Orange & White Game. Not sure how much he helped them.

Many fans will love Chaney's quote in Arkansas "Coach Bielema wants to run the football and be a balanced offensive attack, and that's exactly what I believe in to win in the SEC and that's what we'll be doing."
Jim Chaney: 'What is Rocky Top?'

David Cutcliffe has both Peyton and Eli Manning atop his resume, and now Sean Renfree is drafted from Duke while our own Tyler Bray was not. Coach Cut worked wonders with QB talent.

And what about our new OC, Mike Bajakian?
Time will tell what he does at UT and how our QB's develop and prosper. I'm expecting big thngs.
Incidently, he was listed as the 5th best asst coaching hire in the SEC.......Chaney was listed just below at #6
Ranking the 10 best SEC assistant coaching hires | Saturday Down South

Don't know how Bajakian will do, but he sure did a good job against Wilcox 2 years ago....

Otherwise, Cheney doesn't even belong in this conversation about UT OCs....Walt Harris, Fulmer, Cutcliffe....

The nod goes to...Cutcliffe, but as others have said, Chaney had less talent to work with AT QB and other offensive positions, and his offense played with some BAD defensive teams at UT too.

I think people forget how good of an OC Fulmer was back in the day before he became HC....:salute:

I'm not sure on Chaney....

Never understood why he would call a pass play on 3rd and 2. He did that alot.

Alot of people blame him for us throwing 20+ yards down the field on third and short, but I just think alot of that was Tyler Bray going threw his progressions and choosing the wrong route.

I have mixed feeling on Chaney.

Cutt is a great coach and a even better OC. IMO

Last edited:

VN Store

Back