Chase Burns to Wake Forest

Definitely. Are you referring to the interview done during the CWS? I think you nailed your own question!
If you were a Tennessee-hating, mentally defective troll, tho, you would use the existence of the lab to attack CTV as second rate, and then when asked directly about the lab would admit that you knew nothing at all about it. I learned that yesterday. šŸ˜‚

I recall seeing an interview with Tony sometime after he sent Burns to the pen. He said he and the coaches felt they needed more competitive fire in the rotation, and Andrew Lindsay was given a chance because of his competitive fire. I took that to mean - at the time - that the staff didn't feel Burns had a competitive fire.

Perhaps that got back to Burns and caused him to be angry at Tony in a way that he just couldn't forgive. Either way, something lit a fire under him for the last part of the season and post season.

I wonder if it hurts our reputation if Burns balls out at Wake and stays a starter.
Not at all. He was a stud as a freshman. It is well-known that SEC teams spent their entire offseason scouting our pitchers. Burns moved to the bullpen after some adversity and returned to his same dominant self. His stuff never changed, but opponents were ā€œambushingā€ his fastball. Whenever he went to the pen it seemed like he started mixing his pitches up more and hitters were much more off balance. Guarantee you if Skenes spent 2 years in the SEC we would see a drop off in year 2.

I recall seeing an interview with Tony sometime after he sent Burns to the pen. He said he and the coaches felt they needed more competitive fire in the rotation, and Andrew Lindsay was given a chance because of his competitive fire. I took that to mean - at the time - that the staff didn't feel Burns had a competitive fire.

Perhaps that got back to Burns and caused him to be angry at Tony in a way that he just couldn't forgive. Either way, something lit a fire under him for the last part of the season and post season.
Back in the day, you got a players attention by benching him. You do that now and they get hurt feelings and take their ball and go to the portal. Just the nature of college sports now.

Will remember him as the guy who helped us to Omaha in 2023. Best of luck to him
1689351775699.gif
Donā€™t know if it had been reported but Wake has this analytics lab that they use for baseball. Maybe espn can devote 90% of airtime to talk about it incessantly next year during a wake Forrest baseball game šŸ˜€

I just never understood his being averse to coming out of the pen.... I mean, it's not like no MLB team would covet a dominant lock-down closer like he turned out to be.

But then, I guess I understand it.... no MLB team ever pays big $$ for a closer
/s

1689386370770.png
1689386405482.png

1689386468286.png

MLB Rankings

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
I wish Chase nothing but the best. Heā€™s a fine young man. Looking forward to seeing what he does in the future.

I wish him the best.

We were all young and one of the problems with being young is perspective- or lack thereof.

When we get older we trade a little bit of our emotion for a little more perspective. All we can hope for is that the burning bridges don't hurt anyone.

I'm glad he's going somewhere with quality coaching like UT and not going somewhere that is just a glorified money circus.

If this Wake Forest lab thing is successful over the long haul, I think more universities will begin constructing similar pitching laboratories.

VN Store

Back