Chavis to Clemson?

Coach Swinney won't allow "prevent defense". Swinney very aggressive right now. Since Coach Swinney has taken over as interim and now official head coach, the defense isn't laying back waiting for offensive mistakes.

Last edited:
Coach Swinney won't allow "prevent defense". Swinney very aggressive right now. Since Coach Swinney has taken over as interim and now official head coach, the defense isn't laying back waiting for offensive mistakes.

we should dig up all posts where people said the same about WV.

Well they can have him and his awesome prevent defense on every third down.
You are correct. Almost dead last on third down, but in every other defensive category in top three or four in conference. Not too bad. I don't think he is a downgrade from what we had.

hey awebb7...if he doesnt go to another SEC school and decides to maybe go to an acc school or somewhere else...how would you feel about that

Well what is it? Is he going to LSU or Clemson? One minute I read he is agreeing to terms with LSU then a few post down it is about him interviewing at Clemson.

Yeah? Kiffin did as well.
Not sure why Kiffin didn't come to Clemson. Terry Don really quiet. Sounds like you may know why. All I know about Kiffin is that he was the OC at USC and went 5-15 at Oakland. (Who wouldn't fail there?) TN is for sure an upgrade from Oakland. Swinney is 4-2 as a college head coach and his team finished the season beating in-state rival SC. Clemson had to give him a shot.

Chavis and Dan Brooks are meeting with Swinney tomorrow. If Swinney will promise to stay the hell out of Chief's way on that side of the ball, he might be able to get him to Clemson.

Not sure why Kiffin didn't come to Clemson. Terry Don really quiet. Sounds like you may know why. All I know about Kiffin is that he was the OC at USC and went 5-15 at Oakland. (Who wouldn't fail there?) TN is for sure an upgrade from Oakland. Swinney is 4-2 as a college head coach and his team finished the season beating in-state rival SC. Clemson had to give him a shot.

Its just too much fun to go out and find a new head coach rather than give a guy on staff a shot. :)

Chavis and Dan Brooks are meeting with Swinney tomorrow. If Swinney will promise to stay the hell out of Chief's way on that side of the ball, he might be able to get him to Clemson.

Chief seems like an ornery dude.

Chief seems like an ornery dude.

I imagine Chief would have zero tolerance for some green coach like Darboo, Dobber, Dabo, or whatever his name is, sticking his nose in Chief's business on the defensive side of the ball.

Swinney tried that with Vic Koenning this year, and it wasn't pretty.

This will be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work out based off what you just said.

hey awebb7...if he doesnt go to another SEC school and decides to maybe go to an acc school or somewhere else...how would you feel about that

I won't care. Unless he is coaching a team we are playing, I couldn't care less.

I imagine Chief would have zero tolerance for some green coach like Darboo, Dobber, Dabo, or whatever his name is, sticking his nose in Chief's business on the defensive side of the ball.

Swinney tried that with Vic Koenning this year, and it wasn't pretty.
"Recently, however, his teams (John Chavis) have been known more for lining up their secondary players anywhere from 5-to-15 yards off the players they are covering, and the defense has struggled. That was one of the issues Swinney, who pushes a strong, man-in-your-face, attacking scheme, had with Koenning."

There was clearly a rif between Koenning and Swinney when Koenning said publicly that the defense wasn't the problem. No way was Koenning going to listen to a skills position coach. If Chavis has as much ego as portrayed on here, I'd be surprised if he and Dan Brooks are hired.

I think Chavis wants a head coaching job soon

i thought the same thing as well. i wonder if he was a little offended he wasn't considered to taking over for fulmer... if i were him, i'd talk to LSU. who knows, ol' les could be out at the end of next season and chavis could be right there in line to take over.

but i see him following fulmer where, if anywhere, he ends up for next season.

clemson must not give a rat's uknowwhat about 3rd down
Read my earlier post. That was Dabo Swinney's issue with Koenning's defense. We played soft. I wouldn't be surprised either way in regards to the Chavis hire. It's hard to tell anymore with coaching searches.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back