Chris Simms just said

Didn't Derrick Henry choose Bama over us because we were an Adidas school at the time? Crazy how much the brand on their uniforms and cleats plays such a huge factor. I don't think i'd play for a non-nike school either.

On Dan Patrick show that he would 100% gone to Tennessee had Cutcliffe not left for Ole Miss. He also said going to a Nike school was a minor factor and Mack Brown convinced him Texas would switch to Nike from Reebok his sophomore year.

That can't be true! A number of posters have continual said for years on this board that recruits don't look at uniform manufacturers or uniform colors!

Reactions: 08Vol
On Dan Patrick show that he would 100% gone to Tennessee had Cutcliffe not left for Ole Miss. He also said going to a Nike school was a minor factor and Mack Brown convinced him Texas would switch to Nike from Reebok his sophomore year.

Had Cutcliffe stayed at U.T., I am 100% sure that Eli would have gone to U.T. also. He would have be our q.b after Clausen and not Ainge.

Reactions: 08Vol
Yes, the total scheme change cost him (Fulmer). Our offensive system was fine, just needed some tweaks and wrinkles and new tendencies from a different play-caller. If Fulmer had hired someone like a Kippy Brown who understood our system, hell, Fulmer might still be coaching UT.

Fulmer also lost his touch with recruiting elite offensive and defensive linemen in his last few years. We had a few good ones here and there but far from the nfl lineman factory he produced in the 90s and early 2000s.

Reactions: 08Vol and Remy
Had Cutcliffe stayed at U.T., I am 100% sure that Eli would have gone to U.T. also. He would have be our q.b after Clausen and not Ainge.

Clausen and Eli are the same age so both finished up in 2003 season. If Eli had chosen UT chances are Clausen would have gone elsewhere.

I’m pretty sure that Eli is on record as saying he wasn’t coming to UT regardless. He and his family thought there would be way too much pressure on him coming two years after Peyton. Ole Miss, Texas, and UVA were his final three choices. Once Cutcliffe was hired, it made it an easy decision.

Yes, the total scheme change cost him (Fulmer). Our offensive system was fine, just needed some tweaks and wrinkles and new tendencies from a different play-caller. If Fulmer had hired someone like a Kippy Brown who understood our system, hell, Fulmer might still be coaching UT.

I wanted Kippy as head coach when Lane bolted in the middle of the night. No way it was going to be any worse than who they ended up choosing.

Reactions: Orangeredblooded
Then why did Simms make up a story about not wanting to go to UT because at a team lunch the black guys sat with the black guys and the white guys sat with the white guys and he didn't really like that.

I thought there was a thread on that subject in the past....
Chris Simms on Tennessee

Reactions: butchna
AJ Suggs didn't show any fear of competition from Chris Simms. I always thought Chris may have been afraid of being beat out by AJ....I know that would not have likely happened, but AJ seemed to have a lot of confidence.

AJ Suggs didn't show any fear of competition from Chris Simms. I always thought Chris may have been afraid of being beat out by AJ....I know that would not have likely happened, but AJ seemed to have a lot of confidence.
If Simms was afraid of competition why would he have gone to Texas then? Major Applewhite, who was a very highly recruited QB, was already starting there as a redshirt freshman.

Reactions: centkyvol and 08Vol
I know, but when Cutcliffe wasn't available to be his OC, he couldn't find anyone else that made it run anywhere near as well. He stuck with Randy Sanders for too long and when Cutcliffe left the second time he went for a total scheme change with Clawson, which was the proximate cause of his firing.

... he was not given any cash to hire an OC by Hamilton. He wanted Debord, which would have brought Ryan Mallett here too I believe. He was give a OC min salary so he hired what everyone considered to be a bright up and coming coach. Considering that coach is now the head of a p5 program people were right in that regard. It didnt work out here. And much of that is on Cutcliffe. Cut did not like Crompton and felt he couldn't get it done as the QB and recruited someone else who's name escapes me that turned out to be a dud.

Crompton was the no.2 QB in the country, 1 in some rankings, when he was signed. Cut failed to develop him.

He could've hired Mike Debord. Rumor was at the time Ryan Mallett may have transferred to UT with the Debord hire. He of course ended up with Petrino at Arkansas.

Hamilton wouldn't give him the money for Debord. He made fulmer hire an OC on the cheap.

I wanted Kippy as head coach when Lane bolted in the middle of the night. No way it was going to be any worse than who they ended up choosing.

Should have given him an interim year at least and then performed a proper coaching search. We still had a lot if brand recognition and could hire almost anyone we wanted then. Our bozos flushed that down the toilet

Chris Simms??
giphy.gif

VN Store

Back