Chuck Webb honored yesterday

madbamahater

Good to see Chuck back and honored before the game! It still makes me upset that he got injured and career over so early. Would have been the best ever at UT and wouldn't have been close.

I literally cried when he got hurt as a sophomore. I was 9 years old. Lack of medical technology at the time is the reason his career was ended. He is a true VFL and it is just one of those "what could have been" situations. I guess the good Lord had other plans for Chuck. I just wish it would have been 4 seasons as a Vol. Could you imagine?

Anyway, thank you Chuck and thank you for coming back! It was a great pre-game legend moment!! GO BIG ORANGE

Reactions: 11 people
was cool to see him here! and even cooler to see the video on the jumbotron of him running. I would guess many students had never seen or maybe even heard of him; but watching him run was something special. Dude was a stud for sure

Reactions: 2 people
That guy was awesome! I remember when I was a kid I drew Cobb-Webbs on my Vols raincoat prior to game day. Reggie and Chuck were two tough backs.

Good to see Chuck back and honored before the game! It still makes me upset that he got injured and career over so early. Would have been the best ever at UT and wouldn't have been close.

I literally cried when he got hurt as a sophomore. I was 9 years old. Lack of medical technology at the time is the reason his career was ended. He is a true VFL and it is just one of those "what could have been" situations. I guess the good Lord had other plans for Chuck. I just wish it would have been 4 seasons as a Vol. Could you imagine?

Anyway, thank you Chuck and thank you for coming back! It was a great pre-game legend moment!! GO BIG ORANGE

Awesome post. The Cobb Webb duo was on of the best.

still the best RB to ever come through UT from a pure talent standpoint...
I still curse that Pacific game...

Reactions: 4 people
Anyone notice the tackling technique back then? Not many "bumping" or "launching" tackles, but mostly "wrap ups".

Anyone notice the tackling technique back then? Not many "bumping" or "launching" tackles, but mostly "wrap ups".

Its because tackles like this don't make the "ESPN Top 10". Another little gift ESPN has given to college football - overall poorer tackling within college football - for 7 seconds of ESPN specific player glorification (just roll the tape of J Clowney hitting the Michigan RB for the 124th time.)

Reactions: 1 person
That's great to hear he was honored. He was one of the most electric & exciting football players to ever come through Knoxville to play for the TN Volunteers. I too was sick to my stomach when he blew his knee out. I was hoping that it was only a minor injury of some sort & that he would be back the next week ready to play but it was not to be. You knew Chuck Webb was a special player that brought excitement whenever he had the football in his arm. He had the potential on every play to get a TD when he was running the ball through the line. Watching Chuck Webb run the football was like watching Tony Dorsett run the ball for the Dallas Cowboys. Sadly, his pro football career didn't last too long because of his injured knee. But he was one great player when he was a Tennessee Vol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
There is a post on youtube from Chuck thanking Vol fans for keeping his legacy alive . One of the best! Period!:rock:

charles webb - YouTube

For those who really know UT football, Chuck's legacy is secure for all time. There are those who are around for four years who more people may remember first, but there are those whose time with the Vols was short for whatever reason who will always be remembered for their huge contribution to the Vol tradition. Chuck Webb is most assuredly one of those. I was thrilled to see him back at UT on Saturday.

I remember being at Neyland and the cheerleaders had the student side of the field yell COBB and then the alumni side yell WEBB. COBB WEBB, COBB WEBB.... Anyone have video of those unfortunately few short lived and treasured moments?

I was at that Cotton Bowl game. Simply amazing. That is all I can say.

I always say that he and Jamal are the two most talented backs to play at UT since I became a fan as a student in 87.

Outstanding to have him mback. Don't be a stranger, Chuck Webb.

The one thing that always bothered me about that play was Chuck was about to make the corner when he was tackled. The tackle was a "horse collar" tackle. The defensive player grabbed the back of his shoulder pads at the neck. Today, that play would be flagged.

Its because tackles like this don't make the "ESPN Top 10". Another little gift ESPN has given to college football - overall poorer tackling within college football - for 7 seconds of ESPN specific player glorification (just roll the tape of J Clowney hitting the Michigan RB for the 124th time.)

You're really going to try and blame ESPN for kids not being able to tackle?

Yep, ESPN teaches their Peewee and middle school coaches how to tell them to tackle.

What a shame Mr. Webb got hurt as he was the best running to ever grace Tennessee and he made it look so easy. Side note I believe Tennessee would have won the NC in 89 if Cobb was not kicked off the team before the Bama game, I am still pissed.

Last edited:
What a shame Mr. Webb got hurt as he was the best running to ever grace Tennessee and he made it look so easy. Side note I believe Tennessee would have won the NC in 89 if Webb was not kicked off the team before the Bama game, I am still pissed.

Reggie Cobb was kicked off the team in 1989

There is a post on youtube from Chuck thanking Vol fans for keeping his legacy alive . One of the best! Period!:rock:

charles webb - YouTube

Watching that shows exactly how great he was (as if any Vol fan needs a reminder :)). He was amazing and will always be one the best players at any position to wear the Orange.

It also reminds me of how awesome our O-lines were through the 90s-00s at blowing a hole through other teams. Our present O-line's got the talent to do this. They need to see that clip because they've got the ability to blow many opposing defenses to bits.

Follow Webb's example -- fierce and fearless.

VN Store

Back