Classic pictures that need no words.....

iu

This'n might need a word

When visiting those that died in combat, a penny is for anyone including a civilian to let others know you visited, the family will understand someone who cared was there. It can mean a lot to them just to know others remembered their loss. A nickel means you trained together with them in boot. A dime means you served together. A quarter means you were there when they died. It's an old military family tradition across the U.S. no region specific. The coins are collected after memorial day by grounds keepers to help pay for the upkeep of the graveyard etc. Seeing that many quarters can be very emotional.

When visiting those that died in combat, a penny is for anyone including a civilian to let others know you visited, teh family will understand someone who cared was there. A nickel means you trained together with them in boot. A dime means you served together. A quarter means you were there when they died. It's an old military family tradition across the U.S. no region specific.
Wow....even though my Dad was a Navy Commander, I never knew that!

Wow....even though my Dad was a Navy Commander, I never knew that!
I have no idea when it started.....might even be from civil war era.... I'm a civilian so most I would leave is a penny. I dunno that most people know what it means anymore. I remember it more as a kid in the 70's etc. Associated with Vietnam graves. Lived next to a graveyard in Hixson.

I have no idea when it started.....might even be from civil war era.... I'm a civilian so most I would leave is a penny. I dunno that most people know what it means anymore. I remember it more as a kid in the 70's etc. Associated with Vietnam graves. Lived next to a graveyard in Hixson.
Oh I see

Just looked it up, coins on military graves goes back to Roman Empire. Obviously the Penny, nickel, dime, quarter thing is a uniquely american modern thing though. the constant likely was a coin to show you had been there, and also being used to help pay caretaker to keep the graves in good order. Guess I was wrong this picture needed a few words.

Reactions: Vjcvette
Just looked it up, coins on military graves goes back to Roman Empire. Obviously the Penny, nickel, dime, quarter thing is a uniquely american modern thing though. the constant likely was a coin to show you had been there, and also being used to help pay caretaker to keep the graves in good order. Guess I was wrong this picture needed a few words.
Interesting......

Yes it did.
Glad Gordy said something.
Thank you both.

Yes it did.
Glad Gordy said something.
Thank you both.

I just wanted to add, seeing that many quarters can be a big deal. because just seeing that tells a story, you know a large number of those that served with them in combat who were there, and likely from out of town from different locations, got together, and made a point to go visit their grave. That's not a few come by at a time thing, that's a reunion of the unit, and made a point to see the grave. It tells a story a loved one might never even have known happened otherwise. Lot of times those guys just don't feel comfortable calling on the family.

Reactions: Go aeiou
View attachment 553635

(well shows not everyone understands the quarters thing, Desmond didn't die in combat. Maybe they were people who served with them in combat I dunno) This is here in Chattanooga.
I'm not trying to be frivolous with this comment-really-but probably a situation as you say people maybe didn't serve with them and didn't have lower coin denominations and didn't want to try to "make change for a quarter, nickel, or dime" at a gravesite, but wanted to leave something.

Edit: also possible they knew the custom but decided to leave what coins they had out of respect for Desmond and to help pay for upkeep.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back