Coach Barnes...impact on a previous era player?

JelloPuddinPup

Girl Dad
In the Transfer Portal thread there was a small discussion going on about players who have played under Barnes during his tenure here and how they've improved, specifically in regards to shooting. It got me thinking and I want to pose an off-season question.

Which player from a previous coaching regime/era, do you think would've benefited the most from being coached by Barnes in today's game? I'll throw out the caveats of culture and personality and assume that Barnes would've recruited any of the previous players (which we all know wouldn't be accurate) and also that the player would be accepting to his coaching style. This isn't a knock or to say the previous coaching staff misused anyone, I just like the hypothetical.

I'd have love to see Scotty Hopson have a coach like Barnes. Had all the athletic talent in the world and was not bad at all, but I feel like for as long as he was in school he would've progressed at an astronomical rate of overall improvement.

Also would've loved to seen Wayne Chism have Barnes.

Honestly every one of them would have benefited playing for Coach Barnes in my opinion.

edit - removed player name, my post kinda read like I was calling out a former player and that's not cool
I don't disagree at all. If they were okay with his coaching style I don't know that there's any players from the past eras that wouldn't have benefitted. Just curious who others think may have hit a new level.

I'll also throw out that I think JaJuan Smith would've thrived under Barnes. Plus defender, elite athlete and above average shooter. Think that shooting could've leveled up even more under Barnes' staff and defense would've fit right in his systems. I miss his 360 fast break dunks.

I don't disagree at all. If they were okay with his coaching style I don't know that there's any players from the past eras that wouldn't have benefitted. Just curious who others think may have hit a new level.

I'll also throw out that I think JaJuan Smith would've thrived under Barnes. Plus defender, elite athlete and above average shooter. Think that shooting could've leveled up even more under Barnes' staff and defense would've fit right in his systems. I miss his 360 fast break dunks.
Even the one he missed when we had like a 2 point lead with a minute to go ? We still won, but you really can't do that in that situation

In the Transfer Portal thread there was a small discussion going on about players who have played under Barnes during his tenure here and how they've improved, specifically in regards to shooting. It got me thinking and I want to pose an off-season question.

Which player from a previous coaching regime/era, do you think would've benefited the most from being coached by Barnes in today's game? I'll throw out the caveats of culture and personality and assume that Barnes would've recruited any of the previous players (which we all know wouldn't be accurate) and also that the player would be accepting to his coaching style. This isn't a knock or to say the previous coaching staff misused anyone, I just like the hypothetical.

I'd have love to see Scotty Hopson have a coach like Barnes. Had all the athletic talent in the world and was not bad at all, but I feel like for as long as he was in school he would've progressed at an astronomical rate of overall improvement.

Also would've loved to seen Wayne Chism have Barnes.
I would've loved to see Chris Lofton in this year's offense with Knecht.

JaJuan is a really good guy in addition to being really good on the court. I agree completely.

Tyler Smith is a guy I wish had played for Barnes.

VN Store

Back