Coaches

Fulmer could’ve hired whomever he wanted. He was too loyal to assts and promoted within after Cut went to Ole Miss.

He thought Clawson would bring a fresh offensive perspective so he made the hire after Cut left for Duke. Money wasn’t an issue w Fulmer’s hiring decisions.
Correct. Just didn’t have the players and enough time to implement a system change. However, Saban did when he had Kiffin plugged in. Have to apprise that.

Reactions: vol94
Correct. Just didn’t have the players and enough time to implement a system change. However, Saban did when he had Kiffin plugged in. Have to apprise that.
I’m not taking anything away from Fulmer, but he wasn’t an X’s & O’s coach who delegated to us coordinators. TN benefited from the SEC not having elite coaches in the 90’s, but that changed in the 2000’s.

•Bama- went through numerous coaches after Stallings retired

•LSU- Saban came to town in 2000 (maybe 1999 or 2001). But prior LSU didn’t have elite coach.

•Ms State - Jackie Sherrill was a good coach but not elite. They were a three loss team when we beat them in SEC title game.

•Auburn- they had a quality coach but not elite. His name escapes me but I will never forget their QB ( Damien Craig)screaming at his center during the SEC title game Vs TN.

•UGA- Donnan (sp)- not an elite coach. He was my favorite UGA coach as he couldn’t win. TN owned UGA

•FL- Spurrier was elite

•Vandy, Jr, KY - nobody elite. Hal Mumme was good offensive guru & KY.

I’m not taking anything away from Fulmer, but he wasn’t an X’s & O’s coach who delegated to us coordinators. TN benefited from the SEC not having elite coaches in the 90’s, but that changed in the 2000’s.

•Auburn- they had a quality coach but not elite. His name escapes me but I will never forget their QB ( Damien Craig)screaming at his center during the SEC title game Vs TN.
Without looking, Pat Sullivan-maybe?

I actually think about that a$$ slapping every time I see Auburn football on the TV!

Reactions: vol94

VN Store

Back