Common Sense from Politicians?

therealUT

Rational Thought Allowed?
NYC Mayor Says U.S. Depends on Immigrants

By KIMBERLY HEFLING
Associated Press Writer

U.S. Video
Advertisement

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The economy of the country's largest city and the entire nation would collapse if illegal immigrants were deported en masse, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg told a Senate committee hearing Wednesday.

New York City is home to more than 3 million immigrants, and a half-million of them came to this country illegally, Bloomberg testified.

"Although they broke the law by illegally crossing our borders ... our city's economy would be a shell of itself had they not, and it would collapse if they were deported," he said. "The same holds true for the nation."

Most refreshing thing I have heard a politician say all year.

While I think the statement is true - it holds no imperative to solve the problem.

(volinbham @ Jul 6 said:
While I think the statement is true - it holds no imperative to solve the problem.

I don't feel there is a problem that needs to be solved. National security analysts have never felt a threat from our southern border, while our northern border is a completely different story.

However, my favorite solution would be to, by congressional act, get rid of the federal minimum wage. Then only states in which the state minimum wage is high would attract undocumented workers.

(therealUT @ Jul 6 said:
I don't feel there is a problem that needs to be solved. National security analysts have never felt a threat from our southern border, while our northern border is a completely different story.

However, my favorite solution would be to, by congressional act, get rid of the federal minimum wage. Then only states in which the state minimum wage is high would attract undocumented workers.

Can you imagine the firestorm from the media if there was any atempt to abolish the minimum wage? The problem as I see it has more to due with healthcare and welfare than security. The real security risk is identity theft.

For me it's less of a security thing and more of a rationalized immigration thing. So many immigrants that could make a more valuable contribution are denied entry or put through endless delays while others simply ignore the law and come on in.

(volinbham @ Jul 6 said:
For me it's less of a security thing and more of a rationalized immigration thing. So many immigrants that could make a more valuable contribution are denied entry or put through endless delays while others simply ignore the law and come on in.

They are not exactly getting rewarded for ignoring that law though. They are working labor intensive jobs and getting aroun $3.50 an hour for those jobs.

(Lexvol @ Jul 6 said:
Can you imagine the firestorm from the media if there was any atempt to abolish the minimum wage? The problem as I see it has more to due with healthcare and welfare than security. The real security risk is identity theft.

There is a firestorm about everything in the media these days. Politicians just need to reach down, grab sack, and do away with minimum wage, social security, medicare and medicaid, welfare, and federal income tax. I understand it will cost most of them their seats, but hey, nobody ever said doing the right thing was easy.

I gave up on finding a congressman or woman or senator with balls when the republicans broke their contract with America and backed away from their term limit stand. The beltway is full of intoxicating parties and cash people cannot resist.

(volinbham @ Jul 6 said:
I agree but most western countries seem to have the same strategy. Unless you are wealthy or highly skilled in a science/medicing field it is almost impossible to immigrate to anywhere in Europe or the South Pacific from the U.S. but if you're an uneducated rube from the third world they'll welcome you with open arms.

IMO the best way to handle the current situation is to make immigration easy again, like in the Ellis Island days. People are only going to come as long as there is opportunity. Sooner or later the influx will stop.

(VolunteerHillbilly @ Jul 6 said:
I agree but most western countries seem to have the same strategy. Unless you are wealthy or highly skilled in a science/medicing field it is almost impossible to immigrate to anywhere in Europe or the South Pacific from the U.S. but if you're an uneducated rube from the third world they'll welcome you with open arms.

IMO the best way to handle the current situation is to make immigration easy again, like in the Ellis Island days. People are only going to come as long as there is opportunity. Sooner or later the influx will stop.

It's far easier for people living in Tennessee to ignore the problem of illegal immigration because there aren't comparatively that many illegal immigrants in the state of Tennessee. Illegal immigration is an issue that hits a lot closer to home when you live in Arizona, California or Texas.

Lived in Amarillo, TX for three years. Most of the feedlots in the area (which is where most of the cattle that feeds America is fed) are staffed with Mexicans who are not working legally. Get rid of them and have fun paying $13 for a hamburger and $40 for a steak.

(therealUT @ Jul 6 said:
There is a firestorm about everything in the media these days. Politicians just need to reach down, grab sack, and do away with minimum wage, social security, medicare and medicaid, welfare, and federal income tax. I understand it will cost most of them their seats, but hey, nobody ever said doing the right thing was easy.

I can't see them doing away with those but I really hope somone steps up and changes two of them, social security and taxes. I remember looking at the last SS statement I got and thinking that is money I will never see again. We should have listened to Forbes about the flat tax when we had the chance.

We should be listening to Linder and Boortz right now, and get our reps to vote on the Fair Tax.

(Vol423 @ Jul 6 said:
It's far easier for people living in Tennessee to ignore the problem of illegal immigration because there aren't comparatively that many illegal immigrants in the state of Tennessee. Illegal immigration is an issue that hits a lot closer to home when you live in Arizona, California or Texas.
I have relatives in Texas and California so I hear what you are saying. I just don't see how making people citizens is a bad thing.

This is a little off topic, however, have any of you seen the video of Senator Biden's remarks concerning Indians?

I have relatives in Texas and California so I hear what you are saying. I just don't see how making people citizens is a bad thing.

I agree and that's sort of what I mean by rationalizing the process. For example, I have a Canadian friend that is a skilled (engineer) worker that pays quite a bit in taxes (actually lives in Seattle) he has a green card but has many hassles with IMS.

The system could be made much simpler. Instead, the nature of the system encourages the illegal approach.

(therealUT @ Jul 6 said:
This is a little off topic, however, have any of you seen the video of Senator Biden's remarks concerning Indians?

What'd he say?

BWAHAHA! Being an avowed leftist he'll get a pass from the PC police, but if a conservative republican had said that it's be all over the nightly news on every network.

(therealUT @ Jul 6 said:

Just saw it on Drudge. Hilarious.

Go live in AZ and you'll see first hand. Why should they get a free pass just because they broke the law? As long as you were shifty enough not to get caught you can be a citizen. There are people trying to do it the legal way and they will be pushed aside by criminals. Doesn't seem fair to me.

(utvolpj @ Jul 6 said:
Go live in AZ and you'll see first hand. Why should they get a free pass just because they broke the law? As long as you were shifty enough not to get caught you can be a citizen. There are people trying to do it the legal way and they will be pushed aside by criminals. Doesn't seem fair to me.

I am in no way advocating their citizenship. I just believe that the government should continue to look the other way while they work.

(therealUT @ Jul 6 said:
I am in no way advocating their citizenship. I just believe that the government should continue to look the other way while they work.

...and that's precisely my point. You advocate that the government continue to look the other way because they're not living in YOUR state. As a result, you're not having to pay higher taxes to pay for the education and health care of illegal immigrants, and you're not having to pay higher insurance premiums due to illegal immigrants that don't carry car insurance.

I heard last week that one group estimates that as much as 1/3 of the population of the state of Arizona is illegal immigrants. That was a figure that I found to be quite alarming. Arizona leads the nation in illegal border crossings.

VN Store

Back