Confederate monuments

Do confederate monuments need to be taken down?

• Yes- they have no place in our current American climate.

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • No- they are history and right or wrong they deserved to be recognized.

Votes: 39 72.2%
  • Don’t care as you can learn the history without them.

Votes: 11 20.4%

• Total voters

barknoxbrawler

Confederate monuments- do they stay in place Or taken down?

This has become a hot issue in our current American climate. What say you volnation? I for one believe we can learn our history without having monuments. I respected and learned about Washington and Lincoln long before I ever visited DC. I learned about great battle commanders such as Nathan Bedford Forrest and can separate what he did do one day, from things he did another.

Depends on the monument, I suppose. Monuments are not "history", they are endorsements of history.

Good answer. I tend to agree although I don’t see them as endorsements. I see them as “in memory of”. Monuments are placed on cemetery plots and they are not for endorsing the dead but to remember them living.

Last edited:
Good answer. I tend to agree although I don’t see them as endorsements. I see them as “in memory of”. Monuments are placed on cemetery plots and they are not for endorsing the dead but to remember them living.

They are absolutely endorsements, IMO. A monument on a cemetary plot is there because the person is buried there (and probably the person's kin paid for it). When a city takes public land and funds to build a monument to a historical figure, it's because they see that figure positively. If you can think of one example where this was done for a figure that was viewed negatively at the time the monument was built, I'll be very surprised.

Not all monuments are the same.
A statue of Jefferson Davis isn’t the same as a monument in the hometown of the men who died in combat.

Not all monuments are the same.
A statue of Jefferson Davis isn’t the same as a monument in the hometown of the men who died in combat.
This is one of the few exceptions. I have no issue with a city or state having a monument saluting those who fought and died in defense of the state.

Reactions: n_huffhines
This is a city discussion and each town can make their own choice on that. Their OWN choice. Not the choice of nonresidents.

We're debating the merits of the city keeping it, not saying we're going to pass federal law or something.

They are absolutely endorsements, IMO. A monument on a cemetary plot is there because the person is buried there (and probably the person's kin paid for it). When a city takes public land and funds to build a monument to a historical figure, it's because they see that figure positively. If you can think of one example where this was done for a figure that was viewed negatively at the time the monument was built, I'll be very surprised.
That would mean they're nobody's business other than the family of the dead soldier.

No, they are not necessarily an endorsement.

VN Store

Back