Could UT possibly be a top 3.....

They are both above average. The problem is that many people here on VN feel that unless they are the same caliber as Trent Richardson or Gurley then they are just average.

Maybe Lane is above average, maybe, but not RN. He's still getting tripped up by shadows and missing holes that Helen Keller could see.

Look, Tony Thompson made All SEC in 1990 after Chuck Webb went down. It wasn't because Thompson was a tremendous talent. It was due to the O-line. The O-line can make average backs look very good.

People watched Gurley tear down the sideline Sat and use that as their benchmark for a great running game. It is not. That was a great play by a great player. A good running game is averaging 5 YPC between the tackles. They breakaway runs are gravy.

Barry Sanders was a great running back in the NFL but you won't find too many people that thought the Lions had a great running game. Their O-lines were average, at best.

I'm not judging ANYBODY on the team until we play someone other than Austin Peay. week 1 was nothing. maybe we can start to analyze things like this after WKU but i'm waiting to see what we can do against Oregon and Fla. a good defense is the only way to judge our offense

Reactions: 1 person
We have a good OL and decent backs, but QB and WR is inexperience so they will make them beat them.Most likely teams are going to load the box to make Worley and Peterman beat them until such time as they start burning them deep with long passes and long runs from the inexperienced WR.

I agree. The deep ball was absent from the game on Saturday. Until we can threaten a good team with 18-30 yard passing consistency, we will see 8 or 9 in the box on almost every down.
Right now, we can spread the defense laterally but to win against the big boys we will have to spread the defenses vertically also.

I'm not judging ANYBODY on the team until we play someone other than Austin Peay. week 1 was nothing. maybe we can start to analyze things like this after WKU but i'm waiting to see what we can do against Oregon and Fla. a good defense is the only way to judge our offense

+1

Nope. That's who they are basically getting compared to and they are nowhere near the caliber RB as either of those two. This offense could use a consistent RB who can hit the hole, and/or break away if need be. We don't have one, yet. He did say "top 3".

Neal was leading the SEC in rushing prior to getting banged up halfway through last year. That is not average. Period.

We were 8th in the league last yr. I think we could be top 5 this yr. you got to think Bama, UGA, UF, and USCe will be up there. Probably AU too since all they have is a run game.

I believe they are average backs but then again there never was a real commitment by Dooley or Chaney to run the ball, so they might be better than we have seen.

Reactions: 1 person
Sure we can be, will we,I think so. The only other team who is going to run the ball more than us is al.

VN Store

Back