GO VOLS..
GO BIG ORANGE .. :rock:

Reactions: 1 person
17 DAYS!!!

5952685.jpeg
PLAYER SPOTLIGHT
Bobby Dodd
Quarterback (1928-30)

Bobby Dodd was front and center of the "Hack and Mack" backfield that featured Buddy Hackman and Gene McEver, but the quarterback did more than just take the snaps and hand off the ball.
Known for creating his own plays, Dodd helped the Volunteers to a 27-1-2 record during his years on The Hill and twice earned All-Southern team honors.
Dodd led Tennessee to back-to-back unbeaten seasons with identical 9-0-1 records his sophomore and junior years. During Dodd's era, the Vols went 33 games without a loss until an 18-6 setback against Alabama in 1930 -- the longest unbeaten streak in UT history. After the loss, Dodd and his teammates helped kick off a 28-game unbeaten streak that ranks as the second longest.
It was his senior year in which "The Dodger" showed his versatility in a 13-0 win against Vanderbilt. Dodd finished with 14 punts for a 42-yard average, had nine carries for 39 yards, was 7-of-12 passing for 159 yards and two touchdowns and intercepted two passes. On the afternoon, Dodd gained 212 all-purpose yards, collecting all but 14 of Tennessee's team total of 226. The Vols finished 9-1 and Dodd's dominance on the gridiron earned him 1930 All-America honors. Dodd furthered his association with great college football teams as head coach at Georgia Tech from 1947-66. Dodd's teams went 165-64-6, appearing in 13 bowls and winning nine. From 1950-53, Dodd was unbeaten at 29-0-2. In his honor, Georgia Tech named its facility Bobby Dodd Stadium at Grant Field. He is one of only three members inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as a player and a coach, joining Amos Alonzo Stagg and UT's Bowden Wyatt.

WHY I WORE THE NUMBER
7976357.jpeg

Tee Martin
Quarterback (1996-99)

"I wore number 17 in tribute to other quarterbacks who had worn that number like Joe Gilliam, Doug Williams and Charlie Ward. I am a huge Charlie Ward fan.

GO VOLS..
GO BIG ORANGE..:rock:

Reactions: 3 people
17 DAYS!!!

5952685.jpeg
PLAYER SPOTLIGHT
Bobby Dodd
Quarterback (1928-30)

Bobby Dodd was front and center of the "Hack and Mack" backfield that featured Buddy Hackman and Gene McEver, but the quarterback did more than just take the snaps and hand off the ball.
Known for creating his own plays, Dodd helped the Volunteers to a 27-1-2 record during his years on The Hill and twice earned All-Southern team honors.
Dodd led Tennessee to back-to-back unbeaten seasons with identical 9-0-1 records his sophomore and junior years. During Dodd's era, the Vols went 33 games without a loss until an 18-6 setback against Alabama in 1930 -- the longest unbeaten streak in UT history. After the loss, Dodd and his teammates helped kick off a 28-game unbeaten streak that ranks as the second longest.
It was his senior year in which "The Dodger" showed his versatility in a 13-0 win against Vanderbilt. Dodd finished with 14 punts for a 42-yard average, had nine carries for 39 yards, was 7-of-12 passing for 159 yards and two touchdowns and intercepted two passes. On the afternoon, Dodd gained 212 all-purpose yards, collecting all but 14 of Tennessee's team total of 226. The Vols finished 9-1 and Dodd's dominance on the gridiron earned him 1930 All-America honors. Dodd furthered his association with great college football teams as head coach at Georgia Tech from 1947-66. Dodd's teams went 165-64-6, appearing in 13 bowls and winning nine. From 1950-53, Dodd was unbeaten at 29-0-2. In his honor, Georgia Tech named its facility Bobby Dodd Stadium at Grant Field. He is one of only three members inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as a player and a coach, joining Amos Alonzo Stagg and UT's Bowden Wyatt.

This one brings me back to doing my count down a year ago. It was next to impossible to find a picture of Dodd with the 17 showing...at the time UT only put the numbers on the back. I ended up using a team picture which had the numbers added next to the player.

In Dodd we trust

This one brings me back to doing my count down a year ago. It was next to impossible to find a picture of Dodd with the 17 showing...at the time UT only put the numbers on the back. I ended up using a team picture which had the numbers added next to the player.

In Dodd we trust

Thanks Vol View! Are you ready for some Big Orange football?????

16 DAYS!!
7979690.jpeg

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT
Peyton Manning
Quarterback (1994-97)

Peyton Manning's legend will never die. Arguably the best quarterback in Tennessee history, he finished his illustrious career holding 42 NCAA, SEC and Tennessee records.
After being pressed into action as a freshman due to injuries to Jerry Colquitt and Todd Helton, Manning performed admirably as he led the Vols to an 8-4 record and a 45-23 victory over Virginia Tech in the Gator Bowl.
Manning would become a nationally-recognized star as a sophomore in 1995 after guiding the Big Orange to a near-perfect 11-1 record and finishing sixth in the Heisman balloting. The Vols would once again win their bowl game, defeating Ohio State 20-14 in the Citrus Bowl.
The 1996 season saw Manning and the Vols go 10-2, culminating in a 48-28 triumph over Northwestern in their second consecutive appearance in the Citrus Bowl. Although Manning had already finished his degree and was projected to be the top pick in the NFL Draft, he returned to Rocky Top for a fourth and final season.
With his sights set on a higher goal, Manning would help deliver the Vols their first SEC championship since 1990 as he paced them to an 11-2 record, including a 7-1 mark in league play for the third straight year.
That season, Maning captured the Maxwell Award as the nation's most outstanding player, the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award, the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award and Player of the Year honors, securing his All-America status in 1997. He also won the Sullivan Award as the nation's top amateur athlete.
The Tennessee quarterback became the fourth in NCAA history to pass for 11,000 yards and threw for more than 300 yards in 18 games. He finished with 11,201 yards as Tennessee's most prolific offensive player in leading the Vols to the 1997 SEC Championship. He was the No. 1 draft pick in the 1998 NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts and is currently the starting quarterback for the Denver Broncos. Entering his 15th year in the NFL, Manning has solidified himself as a sure-fire Hall-of-Famer, having been named the MVP four times, a Pro Bowler 11 times and reaching the Super Bowl twice, winning it and claiming game MVP honors in 2006.

resize

GO VOLS..

16 DAYS!!
7979690.jpeg

PLAYER SPOTLIGHT
Peyton Manning
Quarterback (1994-97)

Peyton Manning's legend will never die. Arguably the best quarterback in Tennessee history, he finished his illustrious career holding 42 NCAA, SEC and Tennessee records.
After being pressed into action as a freshman due to injuries to Jerry Colquitt and Todd Helton, Manning performed admirably as he led the Vols to an 8-4 record and a 45-23 victory over Virginia Tech in the Gator Bowl.
Manning would become a nationally-recognized star as a sophomore in 1995 after guiding the Big Orange to a near-perfect 11-1 record and finishing sixth in the Heisman balloting. The Vols would once again win their bowl game, defeating Ohio State 20-14 in the Citrus Bowl.
The 1996 season saw Manning and the Vols go 10-2, culminating in a 48-28 triumph over Northwestern in their second consecutive appearance in the Citrus Bowl. Although Manning had already finished his degree and was projected to be the top pick in the NFL Draft, he returned to Rocky Top for a fourth and final season.
With his sights set on a higher goal, Manning would help deliver the Vols their first SEC championship since 1990 as he paced them to an 11-2 record, including a 7-1 mark in league play for the third straight year.
That season, Maning captured the Maxwell Award as the nation's most outstanding player, the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award, the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award and Player of the Year honors, securing his All-America status in 1997. He also won the Sullivan Award as the nation's top amateur athlete.
The Tennessee quarterback became the fourth in NCAA history to pass for 11,000 yards and threw for more than 300 yards in 18 games. He finished with 11,201 yards as Tennessee's most prolific offensive player in leading the Vols to the 1997 SEC Championship. He was the No. 1 draft pick in the 1998 NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts and is currently the starting quarterback for the Denver Broncos. Entering his 15th year in the NFL, Manning has solidified himself as a sure-fire Hall-of-Famer, having been named the MVP four times, a Pro Bowler 11 times and reaching the Super Bowl twice, winning it and claiming game MVP honors in 2006.

resize

GO VOLS..

Love this^^^^^^^^

This quote from TOS makes me really believe Vol football is on the way back to the top CBJ has given the team a don't quit winners attitude that's been missing !! GO VOLS

"Consistency wise, I need to get a little bit better," McCullers admitted. "I kind of lose focus sometimes and I'm working on that. I'm working on my consistency everyday to go hard and get better.

"Just get in my mind when I get a little bit winded just keep going, fight hard and stay strong. That's the biggest key for me right now. You can't tap out. Not with this team. You better get used to it and keep fighting."

15 DAYS!!! Yeah!!!!

7982888.jpeg
PLAYER SPOTLIGHT
Carl Pickens
Wide Receiver (1989-91)

Carl Pickens was a staple in the Vols' offense during his three seasons at Rocky Top and earned national recognition his junior year with an All-America nod in 1991.
Pickens caught 49 passes for 817 yards during his junior campaign for an average of 17.9 yards per catch. His 79.73 receiving yards per game led the SEC. Quarterback Andy Kelly hooked up with Pickens for an 87-yard touchdown against Auburn which was the longest pass play in school history at the time. His numbers the previous year, however, were even better when he had 53 catches for 917 yards as he led the Vols in receptions and yards both seasons. He played both ways in 1989, recording four interceptions in four games at free safety and was named the Defensive MVP of the 1990 Cotton Bowl.

ALL-TIME 15s
Cheek Duncan - 1937-38
James Aurelia - 1939-41
Albert Sabato - 1942
Jimmy Doerr - 1944
Hubert Becker - 1946-47
Charles Dowdy - 1948
Joe Yost - 1949
Sam Rutigliano - 1951-52
Bill Spoone - 1953
Edric Owen - 1955
Bill Anderson - 1956-57
Bobby Moore - 1958
Mike Simmons - 1959
Jerry Ensley - 1960-62
Billy Tomlinson - 1963
Skip Edwards - 1964-66
John Rippetoe - 1967-69
Bob Bowers - 1972-73
Eddy Powers - 1974-77
Mike Terry - 1979
Alvin Jones - 1981
Tim Norton - 1983
Jack Sells - 1984
Kent Elmore - 1986-87
Carl Pickens - 1989-91
Lance Wheaton - 1992-94
Tim Sewell - 1995-98
A.J. Suggs - 1999-2000
Kelley Washington - 2001-02
Turk McBride - 2004
Jim Bob Cooter - 2004-06
Sinclair Cannon - 2005-07
E.J. Abrams-Ward - 2008
Mike Fromke - 2010
Janzen Jackson - 2009-10
Marlin Lane - 2012

GO VOLS..
GO BIG ORANGE ... :rock:

sorry if this has been asked but when does open practice start tomorrow? I can't find any info on it. thanks!

sorry if this has been asked but when does open practice start tomorrow? I can't find any info on it. thanks!

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The University of Tennessee football team will host an open practice at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Aug. 17. The team will practice from 7:00 - 8:15 p.m., and fans can enter at Gates 14, 20, and 21 beginning at 6:00 p.m.
"On behalf of Team 117, I would like to invite the best and most passionate fans in the country to help us prepare for the upcoming season," said head coach Butch Jones. "We hope to see everyone at our open practice on Saturday, August 17th at Neyland Stadium as we continue to work toward the opening of the 2013 season."
Admission to the event and parking will both be free of charge, and concession stands will be open. Parking will be available in the following lots: G-3, G-4, G-5, G-10, and Staff Lot 9. Following the conclusion of the practice, the team will return to the Anderson Training Center to resume its normal training camp meeting schedule.

GO VOLS..
GO BIG ORANGE... :rock:

Just 15 more days. I'm getting goose bumps. I get so hyped when I get up on Saturday mornings knowing my Vols are going to play. Love me some Big Orange Football!!!

It's getting closer than you think for the Peach... here in a few, we're headed to Knoxville!!!! We are donors to the Pride and have been invited to participate in festivities with the Pride in the morning & then tomorrow night I'm going to a VOL rep training camp.. dang we'll be on campus all day... how in hail much better can it almost get? I'll tell ya... 15 DAYS!!!! This old gal is so excited she almost can't stand it.. hubby may have to duct tape me to the car seat, LOL LOL...

GO VOLS..
GO BIG ORANGE ... :rock:

VN Store

Back