Countdown to September 2nd vs UVA. (Top 150 Vols wins)

28 days…..

#28 - 13-12 vs Florida (1928)

In the final game of the year, 8-0-1 Tennessee hosted 8-0 Florida. Florida had the nations best offense and their QB, Clyde Crabtree, was among the best in the country in 1928. Most didn’t give UT much of a chance, as the Gators were a 3 TD favorite.

Tennessee scored first and lead 7-0, but Crabtree directed a Gator drive that culminated in a TD, but the PAT was missed.

Early in the fourth quarter, Florida had the ball at about their own 30, when Buddy Hackman intercepted a Crabtree lateral and returned it 35 yards for a TD. Tennessee missed the PAT, but still lead 13-6.

Florida would score with a few minutes left, but Bobby Dodd knocked down the 2pt try and Tennessee shocked the nation by winning 13-12.

The ‘28 Vols finished 9-0-1, while the Gators finished 8-1. It was a huge win (but not the biggest in ‘28) for Tennessee, validating a wonderful season. It was probably the greatest Gators team until the 1990’s.

75631440-57CA-42BC-B241-BEE1898BAB3E.png

I like the foreshadowing. It was a huge win...but not the biggest in '28.
giphy.gif

27 days……

#27 - 59-21 vs Kentucky (1998)

I know. UK wasn’t ranked and UT was a huge favorite. Why is this game so important?

UT was 9-0 and ranked #1, but they hadn’t clinched the SECE division title yet. A victory over 7-3 Kentucky would ensure them of a trip to Atlanta. Kentucky had one of the greatest offensive teams in the country and had a Heisman candidate at QB, so victory wasn’t goin to be given to them.

After a moment of silence, to honor a Kentucky player that was killed in a car crash the week before, UK fell behind after two UT field goals, but they took a 7-6 lead after Tim Couch threw a TD pass. That was the last glimpse of victory UK would have. Shawn Bryson scored the first of his two TDs, and then caught a 2pt conversion pass to give UT a 14-7 lead.

In the second quarter, Martin threw a 55-yard TD pass to Cedrick Wilson and less than three minutes later, Bryson got loose on a draw play and ran 58 yards for a score. Jeff Hall then kicked his third field goal, a 47-yarder, and backup fullback Philip Crosby scored from a yard out with 16 seconds left in the half.

The wildcats were unable to stop the Vols in the second half, either. Travis Henry scored on a 1-yard run and Martin ran 33 yards for third-quarter score and Travis Stephens added a 1-yard TD run in the fourth.

Martin was 13-of-20 for 189 yards. He also carried eight times for 53 yards. Hall finished with 15 points and became the SEC's career leading scorer with 354 points.

With the overwhelming victory, UT was guaranteed a trip to the SECCG, with only Vanderbilt left to finish the regular season undefeated. There were “bigger” wins in 1998, (which I bet will be mentioned later) but this victory over a solid UK team was a huge piece to the National Championship season.

C4C1EB78-9E6C-4F0D-BAEB-149FB6037884.png

26 days…..

#26 - 28-0 vs #9 Kentucky (1951)

Tennessee entered the ‘51 season on a nine-game winning streak and ranked No. 1 in the preseason. Coming into the Kentucky game, they were 8-0, so the winning streak improved to 17 games. Beating the Ole Miss Rebels the week before moved them back up to No. 1 after they fell to as low as No. 3 in the middle of the season. Kentucky entered this one 7-3, but they were No. 9 in the AP Poll and playing at home.

Kentucky had one of the best QBs in the country, Babe Parilli, and Bear Bryant as HC. None of that mattered, as the Vols defense, lead by Doug Atkins, Pug Pearman, and Ted Daffer, held Kentucky scoreless. Constant pressure on Parilli kept him on his back all game long.

“While Hank Lauricella was having one of his greatest days of his career in running the Kentucky ends ragged, and Herky Payne, Andy Kozar, Captain Bert Rechichar, and Duck Ernsberger were aiding and abetting, with power plays and sweeps.” (Vols yearbook)

The 28-0 victory was the second largest victory for Neyland over UK in his career. The victory continued UTs pursuit of a perfect regular season and a possible National Championship.

B1B41648-AABA-4435-86FB-265AD6EE8515.png

26 days…..

#26 - 28-0 vs #9 Kentucky (1951)

Tennessee entered the ‘51 season on a nine-game winning streak and ranked No. 1 in the preseason. Coming into the Kentucky game, they were 8-0, so the winning streak improved to 17 games. Beating the Ole Miss Rebels the week before moved them back up to No. 1 after they fell to as low as No. 3 in the middle of the season. Kentucky entered this one 7-3, but they were No. 9 in the AP Poll and playing at home.

Kentucky had one of the best QBs in the country, Babe Parilli, and Bear Bryant as HC. None of that mattered, as the Vols defense, lead by Doug Atkins, Pug Pearman, and Ted Daffer, held Kentucky scoreless. Constant pressure on Parilli kept him on his back all game long.

“While Hank Lauricella was having one of his greatest days of his career in running the Kentucky ends ragged, and Herky Payne, Andy Kozar, Captain Bert Rechichar, and Duck Ernsberger were aiding and abetting, with power plays and sweeps.” (Vols yearbook)

The 28-0 victory was the second largest victory for Neyland over UK in his career. The victory continued UTs pursuit of a perfect regular season and a possible National Championship.

View attachment 568277
Great one, Peay! Some things never change. 😂
th-895138390.jpeg

25 days…..

#25 - 40-18 vs #13 Notre Dame (1979)

My favorite game……

A week after a disastrous loss to Rutgers, UT hosted #13 Notre Dame. UT was 4-3, and had been ranked during the season, but nobody gave the Vols a chance against the Irish and their star RB Vagas Ferguson.

Notre Dame moved down field quickly and scored first to take a 6-0 lead, and then Hubert Simpson and Jimmy Streater took over for UT. Simpson entered the starting lineup and had a record day, delighting the record crowd of 86,497.

Streater kept the Irish defense on its heels with pinpoint throws, scrambling ability, and designed runs. Simpson just battered them into submission.

Streater and Simpson lead the Vols to a 30-12 lead at halftime, bolstered by a goal line stand by Craig Puki and Chris Bolton just before the half ended.

Streater had to be replaced after injuring his knee, and Jeff Olszewski directed the Vols to 10 second half points, giving the Vols a decisive 40-18 victory.

Hubert Simpson had 117 yards rushing and 4 touchdowns, while the Vols defense held Vagas Ferguson to only 88 yards.

The victory was the first big win during Johnny Majors tenure as HC at UT, and helped the Vols to their first bowl game in five years.

This win is still regarded as my fondest moment in UT history…..and my favorite UT game I have ever attended.

RIP Jimmy Streater. Thank you for a day I will never forget.

CB30A051-ED3C-4235-A947-D55C91EFDBA4.png

Last edited:
25 days…..

My favorite game……

A week after a disastrous loss to Rutgers, UT hosted #13 Notre Dame. UT was 4-3, and had been ranked during the season, but nobody gave the Vols a chance against the Irish and their star RB Vagas Ferguson.

Notre Dame moved down field quickly and scored first to take a 6-0 lead, and then Hubert Simpson and Jimmy Streater took over for UT. Simpson entered the starting lineup and had a record day, delighting the record crowd of 86,497.

Streater kept the Irish defense on its heels with pinpoint throws, scrambling ability, and designed runs. Simpson just battered them into submission.

Streater and Simpson lead the Vols to a 30-12 lead at halftime, bolstered by a goal line stand by Craig Puki and Chris Bolton just before the half ended.

Streater had to be replaced after injuring his knee, and Jeff Olszewski directed the Vols to 10 second half points, giving the Vols a decisive 40-18 victory.

Hubert Simpson had 117 yards rushing and 4 touchdowns, while the Vols defense held Vagas Ferguson to only 88 yards.

The victory was the first big win during Johnny Majors tenure as HC at UT, and helped the Vols to their first bowl game in five years.

This win is still regarded as my fondest moment in UT history…..and my favorite UT game I have ever attended.

View attachment 568485

So glad you were there! Always wished I had been. My brother was there and talked about it a lot, and I got him one of those VHS game tapes of it that UT used to sell for a gift one year. We watched it many times! A thrilling beatdown!

25 days…..

My favorite game……

View attachment 568485

I was there. It was a party atmosphere the entire game.

The business school’s “Spam Can” visible in that black & white pic… The memories…
I took my SAT exam there back in '75. Scared, having only a 3.2 high school GPA, the future at stake, I smoked it, thank Goodness. I can even remember the smell of the room.

25 days…..

My favorite game……

We played McMinn with Hubert Simpson in high school... He had about 117 yds on his first two carries.

25 days…..

My favorite game……

View attachment 568485

Hubert Simpson was tuned in that day. Great game, then on to Stokely for the Eagles show.

24 days…..

#24 - 21-0 vs #8 Alabama (1939)

The 5th ranked Vols hosted 3-0 Alabama in a matchup that the National Media had been waiting for. NBC radio and Columbia radio were broadcasting the biggest game of the season…..

Early on, it appeared that the game would come down to the wire, as neither team was able to move the ball.

Midway through the second quarter, Vols tailback Jimmy Butler took the snap from the 42 yard line, and instantly became etched in Vols lore. Starting through the left tackle, he weaved, reversing field four times, and breaking tackes on his way to a 56 yard touchdown.

The TD electrified the crowd and killed the Tide spirit. The Vols would score two more times in the fourth quarter on variations of the famed “Statue of Liberty” play…..giving UT a decisive 21-0 victory…..

UT would go undefeated and unscored upon in 1939; the last team to accomplish this. The victory over Alabama was the biggest win of that glorious season

D6A2ACDC-492B-4926-83C0-E616D145E860.png

Last edited:
23 days…..

#23- 20-14 vs #4 Ohio State (1996 Citrus Bowl)

A game that ranks in my top 5 games I’ve ever been to……..

After 10-1 regular seasons, disappointed by not winning conference championships, the Vols and Buckeyes faced each other in Orlando. OSU was favored and had the Heisman winner in Eddie George.

It was a rainy day that seemed to favor the Buckeyes ground game. OSU got on the board first with George scoring from two yards out in the first quarter. OSU got into scoring range again in the first and had a fourth and one from the UT 2 yard line. OSU went for it and George was stuffed short.

With 23 seconds left in the half, UT had the ball at their own 31 yard line, and turned what looked to be a run-out-the-clock draw play up the middle into a 69-yard Jay Graham touchdown, tying the game at 7.

The Volunteers took a 14-7 lead when Peyton Manning hit Joey Kent on a 47-yard touchdown pass early in the third quarter. The Buckeyes tied the game on a 32-yard touchdown pass from Hoying to Rickey Dudley early in the fourth quarter, but the Volunteers answered with a 59-yard drive that resulted in a 29-yard field goal from Jeff Hall.

George fumbled on the ensuing possession. On their next one, the Buckeyes moved from their 20 to a fourth and one at midfield with 5 minutes 12 seconds left. OSU decided to go for it. Hoying ran right and pitched the ball toward George, but the ball bounced off the helmet of fullback Matt Calhoun and ended up in the hands of Tennessee safety Tori Noel.

Hall would kick another FG to put UT ahead 20-14, and the Vols defense finished it off, giving UT an 11-1 record and a #2 national ranking.

Jay Graham ran for 154 yards and was named MVP, while Joey Kent had 109 yards receiving.

32E70B14-F08B-47B4-8385-3E4CB6116C33.png

VN Store

Back