Countdown to September 2nd vs UVA. (Top 150 Vols wins)

Out of context, but here's something for @peaygolf for making this thread for us. Vols vs Cal featuring the great Jimmy Streater and the first touchdown of the Majors era.

Out of context, but here's something for @peaygolf for making this thread for us. Vols vs Cal featuring the great Jimmy Streater and the first touchdown of the Majors era.

John Ward: " The Sylva Streak"!

That was a wild night..........I'd love to see Streater in the modern game......

Thank you @Orange.

That was a wild night..........I'd love to see Streater in the modern game......

Thank you @Orange.
15....it's BRUUUU Day !!!

Also, WOW...thought this one would be higher, like Top 10 higher, as well.
I remember watching that 1st quarter and thinking "This is it, this is where Tennessee does Tennessee and we fall on our a$$"...so glad Tee, Price, Wilson, and Corey Terry proved me wrong.

Everytime a look at a game and think it should be higher, I keep looking at the ones I have ahead, and think.....they can't be lower.......Too many big games to choose from...:oops:

Last edited:
I have no idea why those clips I posted this morning are not showing up for me now (they did when posted). I hope they do for everybody else. I suspect it's because the only place I could find them was on a link to someone's fb page. fb must have blocked them. Sorry.

Reactions: StarRaider
I have no idea why those clips I posted this morning are not showing up for me now (they did when posted). I hope they do for everybody else. I suspect it's because the only place I could find them was on a link to someone's fb page. fb must have blocked them. Sorry.
I see them.:)

Nice post Orange. Peaygolf has done so much for the rest of us on VolNation with his research, it was good of you to do something for him showing his favorite Vol. 👍

15 days…..

#15 - 24-14 vs #22 Mississippi St (1998 SECCG)

Undefeated. Ranked #1. Two touchdown favorite. BCS title game. A lot was on the line in Atlanta.

The first quarter was one of mistakes and missed opportunities for both teams. Both offenses struggled, but Miss Sts defense made the first big play, returning a Tee Martin interception back 70 yards for a 7-0 lead.

In the second quarter, Deon Grant intercepted a Bulldog pass and gave UT great field position inside the 20. Travis Stephens would score from the three yard line to tie the game. Tennessee would drive again and score again; a field goal from kicker Jeff Hall, to make it 10-7 going into halftime.

The third quarter was filled with more mistakes. An apparent Al Wilson interception return was wiped out due to a penalty, and UT would fumble the ball back moments later.

Into the fourth quarter now with a trip to the Fiesta Bowl on the line and the Vols still lead 10-7, but Tennessee would make one more big mistake: kicking the ball to Kevin Prentiss. With 8:59 left in the game, he catches the punt, hesitates on the sideline, then blasts up the field for a Mississippi State touchdown. With just under nine minutes in the game, Tennessee trails the Bulldogs 14-10. The Vols were in a tough spot.

“The play that set up the Vols for a win wouldn't count on the box score for Martin, but it was perhaps one of his most impressive on the day. With the ball on the UT 45-yard line, Martin takes the snap and is immediately tackled, but has the strength and awareness to finish the play, handing the ball to Travis Stephens, who takes it for a 14-yard gain into Mississippi State territory.

The next play would mark the beginning of the most important 28 seconds of the Tennessee football season.

On 1st and 10 from the Mississippi State 41-yard line, with pressure in his face once again, Martin fires his best throw of the day, a high arching heave into the end zone, falling perfectly into the hands of Price. He taps a foot down, the Vols score a touchdown and take the lead, 17-14.

On the very next play, with the ball on his own 30-yard line, Madkin drops back and is sacked by senior defensive lineman Corey Terry. The ball comes flying out of his hands, eventually scooped up by linebacker Eric Westmoreland. UT had plenty of time to run out the clock, kick a field goal and beat Mississippi State... or they could do it in style. The very next play for the UT offense, Martin finds wide Receiver Cedrick Wilson in the right corner of the end zone. Touchdown Tennessee.

The Vols won back to back SEC Championships, secured a 12-0 record and punched its ticket to the inaugural BCS Championship Game, a Fiesta Bowl matchup against the Florida State Seminoles.

View attachment 570577

The first time I ever wept in public was at this game. My wife was shocked.

14 days.....

#14 - 7-0 vs #3 Kentucky (1950)

Coming into the 1950 game on Nov. 25, Tennessee was 8-1, with the only loss being at Mississippi State during the second week of the season.
Coach Bryant, meanwhile, had led his Wildcats to a 10-0 record in what was his fifth year as the Wildcat coach. But he had yet to defeat Gen. Neyland, although the two teams tied 0-0 in 1948. This year, the Wildcat faithful were hopeful the situation would be different.

When the Kentucky team flew into Knoxville the Friday before the game, it found a chilly situation – and not just from the Tennessee fans. An unusual-for-November six-inch snowfall took place, and temperatures would fall to 18 degrees by game time. Such weather in Knoxville was not unusual between about Christmas and late February, but it certainly was in late November.

When the game took place, only 45,000 actually attended. But those who did come enjoyed a game for the ages. Knoxville Journal sports writer Ben Byrd called it perhaps the greatest football game ever played at Shields-Watkins Field.

The weather helped dictate the game, as No. 3 Kentucky lost 8 of 9 fumbles, while ninth-ranked Tennessee lost 4 of 7. It was one Kentucky fumble that would prove to be the costliest one of the game, however.
In the second quarter, Bob Davis recovered a Kentucky fumble on the Wildcat 36. Then, on the drive, Herky Payne fumbled for Tennessee. But Dan Bordinger, a reserve guard, made perhaps the play of his career in getting back on it.

On the very next play, Tennessee tailback Hank Lauricella hit Bert Rechichar on a 27-yard pass for a touchdown. Pat Shires muffed the extra point, but Kentucky was penalized. He then made the second extra point attempt to put the Vols up 7-0.

The score would remain that way despite a tense second half, including one Kentucky fumble recovery in Tennessee territory in the fourth quarter. As a result, the Vols had a victory to remember for years along with the equally unforgettable weather.

This was the best UK team ever and were SEC Champs, but this game more than any other proved Kentucky was cursed against the Vols.

6318AB74-EBE8-4EFC-A245-BBA71CCE9792.png

Last edited:
56 days……

#56 - 45-42 vs #18 Kentucky (2021)

There have been bigger upsets, but this game could be the game that got Tennessee back to an elite program.

“The Volunteers (5-4, 3-3 Southeastern Conference) emerged from a bye to strike quickly in a back-and-forth game between border rivals that totaled 1,073 yards combined. They needed just four plays and 37 seconds to score their first two TDs, drove 35 yards in 16 seconds for a go-ahead field goal before halftime, and used only 37 seconds on the way to another go-ahead touchdown in the third quarter.

The Vols were outgained 612-461 and held the ball for just 13:52, but made the most of it before a sellout crowd in hostile territory. Many spectators had barely settled into seats when Hooker tossed his first TD pass to Javonta Payton on the game's first snap.”

“Alontae Taylor came up with Tennessee's biggest defensive play with 6:23 left in the third, reading Levis perfectly to jump a route for a 56-yard interception return for a touchdown that gave the Volunteers their first 10-point lead.”

“Hooker's final TD to Tillman with 11:40 remaining proved to be the biggest as Kentucky (6-3, 4-3) got within a field goal on Will Levis' 24-yard touchdown toss to Izayah Cummings. The Wildcats got one last chance after Chase McGrath's missed field goal but couldn't take advantage, turning the ball over on downs with 29 seconds left.”

It was UTs first win over a ranked team since 2018, and CJHs first big win at Tennessee. Maybe, down the road, we will rank this win even higher…….

View attachment 561753
Think you repeated this one

Reactions: OneManGang
13 days……

#13 - 6-0 vs #2 Georgia Tech (1956)

The game was called the “greatest to ever take place in Dixie” before it ever kicked off. Both teams were undefeated and ranked #2 and #3 and were facing each other in Atlanta. Winners were Sugar Bowl bound.

The game produced a near perfect defensive struggle in which punting held the starring role. “There were 23 punts in all, and their beauty lay not so much in distance—or lack of it—as an uncanny sense of placement. Seldom has the kick been used more effectively to stifle the offense.”

Five times Tech had to start inside their 10, four times inside their five. Majors quick-kicked 68 yards on first down to the Tech 17 in the first quarter. Bobby Gordon got off another for 60 yards from his own three in the second quarter. Majors dribbled one 43 yards that died on the Tech two-inch line just before the half ended. In the third quarter Majors booted 50 yards to the Tech seven, and Al Carter lofted one 40 to the Tech four. Meanwhile Tech's Kenny Owen and Johnny Menger had both rolled kicks to a stop inside Tennessee's five.

Midway through the third quarter UT had possession of the ball on their own 38-yard line with the game still scoreless.

From Sports Illustrated:

Tennessee Fullback Tommy Bronson had just gained two yards off tackle, leaving second and eight to go. It was a routine play, but alert End Buddy Cruze had spotted something important. For the first time all day, Tech had dropped its double-teaming alignment against him. To Cruze, who had been completely bottled since the game began, the switch was like a tonic. Rushing to the huddle he tapped Johnny Majors, the signal caller, on the back.

"Hey, John," he whispered, "I think I can get off."

The tailback simply nodded.

There followed, in the space of 53 seconds, the only touchdown of the day.

After a successful short pass to Cruze on the right sideline, Majors called Tennessee's weak-side run-pass—the exact play diagramed with SPORTS ILLUSTRATED'S manikins last week. Cruze took the pass on Tech's 35 with Safety Man Wade Mitchell looming up a step ahead and Halfback Paul Rotenberry closing swiftly from the right. Cruze cut left, and Mitchell ran headlong into Rotenberry. Both went down as Cruze took off, to be hauled down on the one-yard line. Bronson hurdled the final yard, and Tennessee had enough to win its biggest victory of the year 6-0.”

UT would win out the rest of the way and finish 10-0 and finish #2 in the rankings, before losing in the Sugar Bowl.

43DA56B4-C821-4C6B-A1D8-7069DCAA73B1.png

Didn't someone say this is an NCAA rule now that the sideline and goal line has to be distinguishable from any end zone graphics, background, or lettering...so the white wouldn't be discernible from the sidelines and goal lines.
If you might review the 1990 video the endzone design has all orange touching the white boarders. With the white checks on the inside of the design.

13 days……

#13 - 6-0 vs #2 Georgia Tech (1956)

The game was called the “greatest to ever take place in Dixie” before it ever kicked off. Both teams were undefeated and ranked #2 and #3 and were facing each other in Atlanta. Winners were Sugar Bowl bound.

The game produced a near perfect defensive struggle in which punting held the starring role. “There were 23 punts in all, and their beauty lay not so much in distance—or lack of it—as an uncanny sense of placement. Seldom has the kick been used more effectively to stifle the offense.”

Five times Tech had to start inside their 10, four times inside their five. Majors quick-kicked 68 yards on first down to the Tech 17 in the first quarter. Bobby Gordon got off another for 60 yards from his own three in the second quarter. Majors dribbled one 43 yards that died on the Tech two-inch line just before the half ended. In the third quarter Majors booted 50 yards to the Tech seven, and Al Carter lofted one 40 to the Tech four. Meanwhile Tech's Kenny Owen and Johnny Menger had both rolled kicks to a stop inside Tennessee's five.

Midway through the third quarter UT had possession of the ball on their own 38-yard line with the game still scoreless.

From Sports Illustrated:

Tennessee Fullback Tommy Bronson had just gained two yards off tackle, leaving second and eight to go. It was a routine play, but alert End Buddy Cruze had spotted something important. For the first time all day, Tech had dropped its double-teaming alignment against him. To Cruze, who had been completely bottled since the game began, the switch was like a tonic. Rushing to the huddle he tapped Johnny Majors, the signal caller, on the back.

"Hey, John," he whispered, "I think I can get off."

The tailback simply nodded.

There followed, in the space of 53 seconds, the only touchdown of the day.

After a successful short pass to Cruze on the right sideline, Majors called Tennessee's weak-side run-pass—the exact play diagramed with SPORTS ILLUSTRATED'S manikins last week. Cruze took the pass on Tech's 35 with Safety Man Wade Mitchell looming up a step ahead and Halfback Paul Rotenberry closing swiftly from the right. Cruze cut left, and Mitchell ran headlong into Rotenberry. Both went down as Cruze took off, to be hauled down on the one-yard line. Bronson hurdled the final yard, and Tennessee had enough to win its biggest victory of the year 6-0.”

UT would win out the rest of the way and finish 10-0 and finish #2 in the rankings, before losing in the Sugar Bowl.

View attachment 570946

So Majors affinity for the quick kick began in his playing days.

If you might review the 1990 video the endzone design has all orange touching the white boarders. With the white checks on the inside of the design.
I bet Volnation could rally and Danny White would respond...he did with the VOLS letters.

We had the solid.orange around the checkerboards in 90...anyone k ow when we went to the current green space between the checkers and sidelines? Was it when we got rid of the turf?

VN Store

Back