Credit

I'd expect that kind of performance by our defense against Ole Miss and Bama. Let's face it, after Bama's injuries in the offensive backfield, their offensive game was seriously lacking.

Notre Dame is the only game that our offense lost. We had the majority of a half to catch up and didn't do anything.

Chavis defensive breakdowns, recent history:

SECCG: vs Auburn:
Unable to stop the passing game all day, the D gave up 10 points in the 4th qtr as the offense totaled 28 points against an Auburn D that averaged giving up only 10 ppg.

vs Kentucky: Vols win 37-31 in a game that was much tighter than it should have been against a team that usually had trouble getting 10 points in a game. Horrendous playcalling and clock mgmnt by the Wildcats at the end of the 4th qtr sealed the win.

at Vanderbilt: Vols D gives up 33 points to the lowly Commodores in a 38-33 win, a game that should have been over at halftime.

at SoCar: leading 22-8 after 3 qtrs, the D gives up 21 4th qtr points. Luckily the offense and special teams are able to match the Cocks point for point anf UT wins 43-29.

vs Georgia: leading 20-7 at the half, the Dogs score 3 TD's in the third qtr and amass 414 total yards for the game.

at Bama: Leading 13-6 ijn the 3rd, the Vol D gives up 2 straight TD's and find themselves down 20-13. The offense rallies to force overtime, but the D cannot hold the Tide back, and finally in the 5th OT gets a stop to win 51-43.

vs Arkansas: gave up 14 unanswered points in the 4th qtr leading to a 6 OT game that Tennessee finally wins, 41-38

SECCG: vs LSU: leading 17-16 after 3, the Vol D gives up 15 points in the 4th, costing Tennessee at chance at the BCS title, losing 31-20.

vs Georgia: #7 Tennessee scores to take a 24-23 lead. With less than 100 seconds in the game, David Greene drives the Dogs to a game winning FG, 26-24.

at LSU: Freshman A.J. Suggs sets the all time Tennessee passing record for yards in a game, but it still isn't enough as the D cannot stop LSU and the Vols go down in Death Valley.

vs Florida: After taking the lead in the 4th qtr, Grossman takes the Gators down the field with ease, finishing it off with the "phantom" TD catch by Jabar Gaffney, as the Gators win in Neyland.

Bottom line: UT defense under Chavis has a problem putting together a complete game, and suffers let downs at the most inopportune times. Yet this somehow gets overlooked as Sanders is consistently blasted for being conservative, especially in light of all the offensive injuries 01 through 03, and the freshmen QBs in 00 and 04.

I think everybody will agree that there was a problem at the end of last year, but I don't see how citing 1 or 2 games a year where somebody scored in the 4th quarter indicates a problem. I'll bet for every "breakdown" there are 2 games where the defense saved us. Even as rough as it got at the end of last year, the D pretty much won the Ole Miss, Alabama and Georgia games.

The only ones of those that can be considered defensive breakdowns are the ones we actually lost. But you still can't put it all on Chavis. Phil always goes into prevent with a lead. And, if the other team scores 21 points UNANSWERED, it sounds as much an offensive breakdown to me.
When we have a lead, we have a tendency to run only to kill the clock. Why quit just because you're in the lead. If we don't get over that mentality, we can give up on a NC, as the pollsters want to see decisive victories.
Anyway, if you know of a coach(defensive or offensive) that hasn't had a breakdown, been outcoached, and wins every game, let's hear about him. Even UT may consider making a change for such a Coach.

Georgia and Texas A&M were the only teams our D did well against. Ole Miss is a just plain terrible team and Alabama's offensive roster when they played us was full of bench warmers.

Can anybody point out to me a time where our offense underperformed this last year? I'm looking at the score recaps on ESPN.com and our offense performed exactly as I'd expect them to each and every game, the only exception being Notre Dame. Just one. However, I see numerous games where the other team scored way more than they should have.

This is just the logic I'm trying to use here. I know I have little concept of how Tennessee football worked before this last season, but just on a sheer comparison, I'd say that Randy Sanders did a good job this season and Coach Chavis did not.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jan 30, 2005 7:08 PM
Ole Miss is a just plain terrible team and Alabama's offensive roster when they played us was full of bench warmers.

True . . . but our offense was shut down so thoroughly during both of those games that there was no margin for error. The D also played well against Notre Dame and in the 4th quarter against Florida.

The defense was not what it usually is, but I'm not sure that was Chavis' fault. He was extremely limited in what he could do with the personel that he had due to youth in the secondary and injuries elsewhere. There was a point in the GA game after Simon went down that he had to call the same defense 7 straight times. :blink:

Originally posted by milohimself@Jan 30, 2005 7:16 PM
Can anybody point out to me a time where our offense underperformed this last

I'd say the 1st Auburn game turned into a disaster because the offense couldn't stay on the field in the first half. Also, the Ole Miss game should have never been that close. Other than that, the offense was pretty good.

Originally posted by JohnsonCityVol@Jan 30, 2005 6:55 PM
at SoCar: leading 22-8 after 3 qtrs, the D gives up 21 4th qtr points. Luckily the offense and special teams are able to match the Cocks point for point anf UT wins 43-29.

Bottom line: UT defense under Chavis has a problem putting together a complete game, and suffers let downs at the most inopportune times. Yet this somehow gets overlooked as Sanders is consistently blasted for being conservative, especially in light of all the offensive injuries 01 through 03, and the freshmen QBs in 00 and 04.

Lets focus on the 2004 USC game. Yes, it was 22-8 after 3 quarters. But lets not forget this:

-VOL defense gave up almost 200 yards in the first quarter and a half. How many points did they allow? Answer- 6 (0 TDS, 2 FGs -the safety isnt charged against the Defense).

-UT scores on the first play of the 4th quarter, putting them up 29-8. Thats 3 scores. What usually happens when you are up by 3 TDs in the 4th quarter? You put in 2nd and 3rd stringers. Theres a reason why they arent 1st stringers. Hence, the 21 4th quarter points given up.

-UTs defense kept UT in the game until the offense could get on track. Remember, UT didnt score until 30 seconds in the first half. A 2 pt conversion tied the game at 8 a piece at Halftime. When the 3rd quarter started, the game was in doubt. UT defense gave up 0 points in the quarter, making 2 INTs and a 3-and-out punt. Meanwhile, the VOL offense opened up the lead with 2 TDs.

When the game was on the line, the DEFENSE responded during the meat part of the schedule, regardless of who we played. Were they overpowering? No. But few defenses are.

Im neutral on the RS debate. But Im a staunch Chavis supporter.

The only thing I don't like about our D is our inability to tackle. I mean 90% of the time we are out there trying to arm tackle huge running backs or something.

Originally posted by K-town Vol Fan@Jan 30, 2005 8:40 PM
The only thing I don't like about our D is our inability to tackle. I mean 90% of the time we are out there trying to arm tackle huge running backs or something.

That is inarguable and I agree 100%.

I hope JC makes this his personal mission during the spring drills, to teach these guys how to PROPERLY tackle a ballcarrier.

Originally posted by K-town Vol Fan@Jan 30, 2005 8:40 PM

:bad: I agree, our tackling this year was terrible in some games....You can't try and arm tackle someone like Ronnie Brown and Cadillac...They'll plow you

nothing personal Milo but as a 1 year fan it's hard for you to make comments seriously not knowing our background any better than you do. The offense underperformed against Auburn 1, Georgia, Alabama, ND(even with injury) without question. Our offensive stats dropped FIVE consecutive years under RS and I saw EVERY one of those games. Chavis kept our national respect, what little we have, over the last SIX seasons bailing RS out a minimum of 10 plus times. Check out our offensive stats against RANKED teams and get back to me. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :furious3: photo of another Chavis save UT 10 UM 6 :banghead:

Attachments

• post_1_1106365059.jpg
    post_1_1106365059.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 0
yea i think our best offensive year with sanders was when we had washington and stallworth. if sanders knows anything though, he knows how to gameplan to our strengths.

haven't noticed that in his 6 years in charge. Did not use Cory Fleming at all and he is starting for the Oilers/Titans. I will not go on, but you get the idea.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 30, 2005 6:22 PM
nothing personal Milo but as a 1 year fan it's hard for you to make comments seriously not knowing our background any better than you do. The offense underperformed against Auburn 1, Georgia, Alabama, ND(even with injury) without question. Our offensive stats dropped FIVE consecutive years under RS and I saw EVERY one of those games. Chavis kept our national respect, what little we have, over the last SIX seasons bailing RS out a minimum of 10 plus times. Check out our offensive stats against RANKED teams and get back to me. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :furious3: photo of another Chavis save UT 10 UM 6 :banghead:

No offense taken. I just try to make points based on what I know, and point that out.

2003- UT 10 Canes 6; 2002 -UT18 SC 10 ; 2001- UT 13 ARK 3, UT 26 LSU 18, UT17 SC 10, 2000- UT 19 SO MISS 16, UT20 ALA 10, UT 17 SC14, UT19 MEMPHIS 17; 1999- UT 17 MEMPHIS 16, UT 24 AUB 0, UT 21 ALA 7,. That is 12 games back to CRS first season and I will not retract. Thank You very much.

Attachments

• post_1_1106382164.jpg
    post_1_1106382164.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
hey Tn Fan Born and Raised, do you concurr that CJC saves CRS again and again? If we don't get another OC CJC is going to leave.

Attachments

• sy44.jpg
    sy44.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 0
Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 30, 2005 9:22 PM
nothing personal Milo but as a 1 year fan it's hard for you to make comments seriously not knowing our background any better than you do. The offense underperformed against Auburn 1, Georgia, Alabama, ND(even with injury) without question. Our offensive stats dropped FIVE consecutive years under RS and I saw EVERY one of those games. Chavis kept our national respect, what little we have, over the last SIX seasons bailing RS out a minimum of 10 plus times

Sarge, I think you are so blinded by your hatred for RS that you don't care anymore that he really isn't that bad a coach. I thought you might be wrong about your offensive decline comment, so I did a little research because I hate unfounded claims, here's what I found.

Rushing Passing Total Scoring
2004-2005 2418 2775 5193 378
2003-2004 1800 3034 4834 365
2002-2003 1957 2635 4592 296
2001-2002 1849 2980 4829 355
2000-2001 1800 2315 4115 359
1999-2000 2095 2364 4459 348

So, let's do some analysis. In 2000-2001 (the year where we had no clear qb to start and casey started the last 8 or so games as a freshmen) our offensive yardage took a serious hit, but scoring did not. In 2002-2003, our scoring was very bad but our yardage was normal. Other then that, there are NO observable trends of decline, and the most recent three years show a slight trend towards improvement, and this last year was the best the offense has had under RS (with three qb's starting, none of which had any experience at the beginning of this year)

If you want to claim that RS doesn't know how to call a game, that he makes bad decisions, that he can't adjust, that he's too conservative, that he's overweight, or that he's ugly, I suppose those are opinions to which you are entitled, just as I am entitled to disagree, but please stop saying things that just aren't true, especially when you say them intending to tell someone else that they don't know what they are talking about. :shakehead:

i personally do not hate him, frankly played ALOT of golf with him, and have told him as a "friend" what I have stated here. Thanks for your incorrect data. :bad: Hope things are well on the Left Coast.

VN Store

Back