Crompton

Will he be redshitred?

• Total voters

SmokeyVol

I like conebred
With the QB power that we have for this coming season do you think Crompton will be redshirted? Or will CPF put him in the secondary since he has experience back there to help feel the gap? :question:

*Edited to switch the r and t in shirt to their proper positions.

:p

Crompton will play QB and at no time will he see the secondary unless its to pick out a WR. He may or may not redshirt but he will be given an equal amount of reps as the other 2 to see if he can win the QB race.

I believe the redshirt rule will be voted out this summer. From this point on a kid will have 5 year to play 4 (or something like that). so, no, Crompton will not be redshirted AND at no time will he play a position other than QB.

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@May 22, 2005 8:38 PM
I believe the redshirt rule will be voted out this summer.
[snapback]97226[/snapback]​

First I've heard of this! Is there any news on the web about this?

i think crompton will play as well..we used 3 QBs..last year.....why don't people think it won't happen again...

I hope he never sees the field next year . . . and if I see him walk out onto the field to play safety, I might destroy a TV set. :blink:

I just don't think we are going to see 3 QB's this year. Clausen might come in for Ainge if he is having a bad game and vice versa, but I don't think Crompton will play much. Never know though.

He will be redshirted....His services at QB will not be needed next year unless Ainge goes down and I really doubt that Ainge will go down unless something goes TERRIBLY wrong....We will be OK with Clausen back there if Ainge goes down anyways.....I say Redshirt him though

It sure is good to have 3 capable qbs, but i say redshirt him, if Ainge and Clausen both go down then we are in trouble, but it would be good to have Crompton around for an extra season. thats a tough decision.

Not a doubt in my mind.

Right now, there is nothing he could do that Ainge couldn't

To not redshirt him would be a huge waste. It would mean either he starts in front of Ainge (assuming he earns the job) thusly wasting Ainge's scholarship, or Ainge starts in front of him and Crompton goes three of his four years at UT without seeing any substantial playing time, also a waste of a scholarship.

I see him red-shirting this year, however next year is really going to be hard to call. Say he and Ainge are even or Cromptom is better next year..Do you take down a starter who started for you for two years and turn him into a back-up with two more years ahead of him? Would Ainge accept that role? OR What if Crompton feels like he is better than Ainge and they pick Ainge ahead of him next year just to reward Ainges leadership for the past two...it could be a touchy situation.

Originally posted by Smokey_Vol@May 22, 2005 9:42 PM
First I've heard of this! Is there any news on the web about this?
[snapback]97235[/snapback]​

The ACC is rumored to be proposing to the NCAA a 5 for 5 rule, In that a player has 5 years to play 5 with no redshirts, 20 max signees a year and 100 max signees on scholarship over a 5 year period.

This would replace the 4 for 5 rule, 25 max signees per year and 85 scholarship limit in place now.

Now the big question is how it will affect schools because of the Title IX policy and budget of coming up with 15 more scholarships.

if the rules don't change, they should redshirt him and save a yr of eligibility, makes no sense to me not to.

Originally posted by TBALLVOL@May 23, 2005 12:36 PM
I see him red-shirting this year, however next year is really going to be hard to call. Say he and Ainge are even or Cromptom is better next year..Do you take down a starter who started for you for two years and turn him into a back-up with two more years ahead of him?

[snapback]97370[/snapback]​

Of course it can be done. It comes from the Mack Brown school of coaching. You take the All Big 12 QB from the previous year (Major Applewhite) and replace him with the new hot-shot (Chris Simms) and watch the hot-shot choke like a 90 year old on Polish Sausage in the big games.

They won't redshirt Crompton this year simply because of what happened last year with Ainge and Scheaffer going down. If that happened this year who would be the qb? Hardegree? Besides by the time Ainge is gone there will probably be another Clausen in town that is said to better than both of his brothers already. UT is stacked at qb for the next several years.

Originally posted by vols3131@May 23, 2005 4:42 PM
They won't redshirt Crompton this year simply because of what happened last year with Ainge and Scheaffer going down.  If that happened this year who would be the qb? Hardegree? 
[snapback]97409[/snapback]​

If Ainge and Clausen went down, the QB would probably be Crompton. Even if they INTEND on redshirting him, he could still stand on the sideline in pads and ready to play all year long if they want him to. Peyton Manning was supposed to be a redshirt, but when the starting QB went down on the first series of the first game of the year, Peyton started warming up and was in the game before halftime.

GAVol...i'd have to totally agree with your post...i remember how we were wanting to shirt manning, but then threw him in the UCLA game BEFORE stewart went in...back then i remember we didn't talk too much about shirting stewart but did for manning

Originally posted by vols3131@May 23, 2005 1:42 PM
They won't redshirt Crompton this year simply because of what happened last year with Ainge and Scheaffer going down.  If that happened this year who would be the qb? Hardegree?  Besides by the time Ainge is gone there will probably be another Clausen in town that is said to better than both of his brothers already.  UT is stacked at qb for the next several years.
[snapback]97409[/snapback]​

If our conditioning/playcalling/etc. is bad enough that our two top QB's get injured AGAIN, I'd say we are poor enough that the punishment we get from starting Hardegree or whoever is well-deserved.

WHY can't they just leave well enough alone?? If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Cliche, anyone?

True, 2 QB's going down in one year is pretty strange. I just don't see that happening 2 years in a row......if it does, I will lose my mind.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@May 23, 2005 7:53 PM
True, 2 QB's going down in one year is pretty strange.  I just don't see that happening 2 years in a row......if it does, I will lose my mind.
[snapback]97465[/snapback]​

If it does, then start Hardegree or whoever. We'll get whatever we've got coming to us for letting our QB's get injured like that.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@May 23, 2005 10:51 PM
WHY can't they just leave well enough alone?? If it ain't broke don't fix it!!
Cliche, anyone?

[snapback]97464[/snapback]​

Did somebody say cliche?

Regardless of whether Crompton redshirts or not, I know he'll give 110%. He seems like the type of player who just wants to work hard and will do whatever is best for the team. I think he'll just take it one day at a time and the good Lord willing, it will all work out.

VN Store

Back