Croom moved inside

If season started today it would be North, Pig, and Josh Smith starting

Azzani said today he will be inside and outside just moving around trying to get mismatches. I like it.

I believe it and it's common for some receivers to move around but it looks like he isn't playing X or Z which is typically the edge guys.

That's gonna be a great move for him and the team. With his size he should be able to work the middle of the field and down the seam really well.

Reactions: 2 people
Reminds me of David Martin. Somebody will need to move the chains and hit the seam in the middle. I hope that is Jason.

I also remember David Martin getting ran down from behind against Neb. in what looked like an easy TD.

Picture this in your mind:

Most teams play nickel and dime with short, quick d-backs since the typical slot is quick. So Z has Croom line up in the slot against some 5'9" 170 lbs gnat that has to try to jump against a guy nearly a foot taller and more physical. Advantage UT. So next the DC decides to cover with a larger corner/safety in man coverage or slide a safety over to double cover over top. However, Croom is fast enough plus able to jump higher so that he can get away from the man coverage or find the open spot in front of him in the case of double coverage. So the DC decides to go with his best, most physical CB. Boom - the whole field opens up for the other receivers because Croom is inside the DC's head. So the DC has to counter with a lot of 2 deep or quarters zone with deeper drops from the LBs. Now there is no pass rush/blitz to worry about. So Butch starts running the ball more and doing the quick timing routes underneath. Meanwhile Z keeps moving Croom inside and outside as a decoy if nothing else.

Which is why Z is working Croom at slot. He is being taught to find the holes in the zone. He already knows how to handle man coverage.

Butch and Z get it.

Reactions: 6 people
Picture this in your mind:

Most teams play nickel and dime with short, quick d-backs since the typical slot is quick. So Z has Croom line up in the slot against some 5'9" 170 lbs gnat that has to try to jump against a guy nearly a foot taller and more physical. Advantage UT. So next the DC decides to cover with a larger corner/safety in man coverage or slide a safety over to double cover over top. However, Croom is fast enough plus able to jump higher so that he can get away from the man coverage or find the open spot in front of him in the case of double coverage. So the DC decides to go with his best, most physical CB. Boom - the whole field opens up for the other receivers because Croom is inside the DC's head. So the DC has to counter with a lot of 2 deep or quarters zone with deeper drops from the LBs. Now there is no pass rush/blitz to worry about. So Butch starts running the ball more and doing the quick timing routes underneath. Meanwhile Z keeps moving Croom inside and outside as a decoy if nothing else.

Which is why Z is working Croom at slot. He is being taught to find the holes in the zone. He already knows how to handle man coverage.

Butch and Z get it.

Seriously, is it football season yet? I'm so ready!

Reactions: 4 people
Former Cincy QB Travis Kelce made the move to inside / TE and ended up getting drafted in 3rd round this year. This could be good for Croom's career long term.

Reactions: 2 people
What's amazing is Neb. was never in the top ten in recruiting rankings back in those days.

Says a great deal about the ability of their coaching staff in developing talent. Hopefully we will see similar production out of UT's staff.

Reminds me of David Martin. Somebody will need to move the chains and hit the seam in the middle. I hope that is Jason.

than Martin. I believe Martin played WR, for the most part if not entirely at UT, and he didn't catch a lot of balls. He was obviously more suited for TE, given his size--which is what he became in the NFL, and I think he actually was more productive in the NFL than he was at UT. Croom looks like a guy who can create mismatches, and we need to get him the ball without being too predictable about it. This offense NEEDS TO MAKE FIRST DOWNS because our defense is not going to be good, and a solid short-passing game will be crucial. Without it we will be in trouble because teams will stack against our run.

Reactions: 1 person
than Martin. I believe Martin played WR, for the most part if not entirely at UT, and he didn't catch a lot of balls. He was obviously more suited for TE, given his size--which is what he became in the NFL, and I think he actually was more productive in the NFL than he was at UT. Croom looks like a guy who can create mismatches, and we need to get him the ball without being too predictable about it. This offense NEEDS TO MAKE FIRST DOWNS because our defense is not going to be good, and a solid short-passing game will be crucial. Without it we will be in trouble because teams will stack against our run.

Martin didn't catch a ton of balls but he was solid. He was also lined up at WR in 2 and 3 wr sets. He definitely would have been better if he moved to te. Were gonna see alot of 3 and 4 wr sets and if this staff can get him the right matchups, he could be the guy that moves the chains.

Croom reminds me of sharp the tightend .see there was Shannon sharp and another sharp one played wide receiver the other played TE.

By the way I think the move has more to do with crooms ability to run routes and getting the freshman on the field to open up the field with deep routes

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
By the way I think the move has more to do with crooms abolition to run routes and getting the freshman on the field to open up the field with deep routes

Probably. They need a guy who can make the catch going over the middle too.

VN Store

Back