Current Roster Details

Larry, I was looking over the NCAA penalties and had a question you might be able to answer. So, I found this on the NCAA site regarding our scholarship reductions:

• A reduction in football scholarships by a total of 28 during the term of probation, including at least two scholarships each year.
    • Tennessee previously self-imposed and is credited with 16 scholarship reductions from the 2021-22 and 2022-23 academic years.
So, if that's right, we had to lose 12 more scholarships over the course of probation. I'm trying to recall, what was our roster number for the 2023-2024 season? I want to say 83, and if it were 83, then that would mean we only need to lose 10 more, right? And barring a late summer camp edition, it's looking like we'll go this season at 81. So, if my math is correct, that would put us just needing to lose 6 after this season with plenty of time to do it.

Can you confirm if last season's number was 83? And does the rest of this look right to you?

Also, the way the NCAA ruling is worded, it appears our maximum roster number during pronation is 83.

Larry, I was looking over the NCAA penalties and had a question you might be able to answer. So, I found this on the NCAA site regarding our scholarship reductions:

• A reduction in football scholarships by a total of 28 during the term of probation, including at least two scholarships each year.
    • Tennessee previously self-imposed and is credited with 16 scholarship reductions from the 2021-22 and 2022-23 academic years.
So, if that's right, we had to lose 12 more scholarships over the course of probation. I'm trying to recall, what was our roster number for the 2023-2024 season? I want to say 83, and if it were 83, then that would mean we only need to lose 10 more, right? And barring a late summer camp edition, it's looking like we'll go this season at 81. So, if my math is correct, that would put us just needing to lose 6 after this season with plenty of time to do it.

Can you confirm if last season's number was 83? And does the rest of this look right to you?

it was 83 in 2023.

6 would be right. Have to take at least 2 off each of the next 3 years (2025-27)

it was 83 in 2023.

6 would be right. Have to take at least 2 off each of the next 3 years (2025-27)
But its expected to go to 105 (max roster and max scholly) in 2025-26 season so we might be able to knock em all out that year. Basically, every sport except Football is on the good side of the swords cut here. The total number of schollies per school across all sports will nearly double but roster sizes will decrease in Football. Bascially walk-ons are dead. I think this will result in more parity at the middle-to-bottom of the pack and will actually make injuries a much bigger deal for the top schools. Redshirts will be more rare in sports like football maybe more common in basketball.

But its expected to go to 105 (max roster and max scholly) in 2025-26 season so we might be able to knock em all out that year. Basically, every sport except Football is on the good side of the swords cut here. The total number of schollies per school across all sports will nearly double but roster sizes will decrease in Football. Bascially walk-ons are dead. I think this will result in more parity at the middle-to-bottom of the pack and will actually make injuries a much bigger deal for the top schools. Redshirts will be more rare in sports like football maybe more common in basketball.
Nope two less than max for those 3 years. So 103 if it all flies.

Reactions: SuzyVol
Nope two less than max for those 3 years. So 103 if it all flies.
but if we did 6 in 25-26 then we don't have to do the 2 the last 2 right? I mean 2 each year would be probably be better overall but just saying.

According to the penalty, they must take two off roster every year of the probation period which ends after 2027. So can't knock them all out when at 105.

Reactions: gnm53108 and pimo1
@LWSVOL
A favor to ask. Do you have a spreadsheet on UT's transfer portal activity? Both gains and losses. If not, do you know a resource I can use?

Will change date, in red, when changes to roster occur. This is scholarship players to track scholarships with no walk-ons.

NEW NOTE: Have added participation in games. Also added walk-ons as they participate after freshman class.

I really appreciate the time dedicated to this page. Very informative will be looking into all season

VN Store

Back