Cutcliffe's Wizardry

Sorry, but to give the 2nd highest winning pct. coach in NCAA history among active coaches an ultimatum like that would be futile. Hamilton owes Fulmer for his cushy little seat and will do no such thing. Fulmer has improved his win total by 5 games over the 05' season. We all want more, but I think most of us realize that Fulmer is content with 10 wins a season. I want him to win another NC before he leaves, but unless he hires the right OC, he will be out the door with the OC he hires in 2 years if he goofs the hire up.

I think we might end up with the oc from Michigan he is supposed to meet with Fulmer I think on Thursday if he calls plays like he did against UF today I'm all for it

I think we might end up with the oc from Michigan he is supposed to meet with Fulmer I think on Thursday if he calls plays like he did against UF today I'm all for it

No, he is going to meet with Scott Loeffler, according to sources unless I have missed something in the past 2 days. Loefller is the QB's coach for Michigan.

Yeah, it did seem like during the year we would come out smoking and hold on for dear life. Could it be we had a very good game plan coming in but made no adjustments in the second half? Outcoached by defensive coordinators in the second half.

It is that plus a propensity to play "not to lose" when we get a lead. Sometimes I think we are better off to be behind at halftime.

watching Tn's offence in the 2nd. half is about as exciting as listing to B K on the radio.

I suspect that Ainge was really not close to 100% physically this year (as recently alluded to by Phil), so Cut used a limited play book....sadly there was nothing to adjust on the O-side at half time.

I suspect that Ainge was really not close to 100% physically this year (as recently alluded to by Phil), so Cut used a limited play book....sadly there was nothing to adjust on the O-side at half time.

I don't see why Ainge's shoulder/pinky being injured resulted in a complete abandonment of the run game in the second half of several games that were still within reach.

I think it also points to the fact that though we weren't as bad as in 2006, this team still wasn't very physical and couldn't consistently run the ball and get the tough yards we needed to keep the offense on the field. Thus we further exposed a suspect defense.

Exactly. Teams like S. Carolina, UK, LSU and Wisconsin were able to climb back into the games because we couldn't take any clock off in the second half.

This has been pretty obvious all season. Our offense has bogged down in the second half. I, for one, am not sad to see Cut go.

Am I the only one who thinks his "wizardry" call (that was fumbled) in the first quarter of a 7-7 game after we just marched down the field no problem was only called because he knew he would not have any repercussions here at the UT or the Vol Nation?

Am I the only one who thinks his "wizardry" call (that was fumbled) in the first quarter of a 7-7 game after we just marched down the field no problem was only called because he knew he would not have any repercussions here at the UT or the Vol Nation?

The call was due mainly to stupidity.

Offensive improvement in 2008 will depend on two factors. Who we get for an O.C., and IF Fulmer gives them free reign with play calling.

Offensive improvement in 2008 will depend on two factors. Who we get for an O.C., and IF Fulmer gives them free reign with play calling.

I really believe that Fulmer is going to let them be. He knows he needs change, but PLEASE don't go to the spread.:good!:

Cut has always stunk at playcalling, Its no suprise, everyone was calling for his head before they were calling for Randy Sanders head. I dont know which one was wose

In case anyone is losing sleep over David Cutcliffe leaving Knoxville to head up the greatest football program in America, take a look at the following numbers. Our performance in the second halves of football games leads me to believe that defensive coordinators are able to figure old Cutcliffe out. We've been shut out in the second half three times this year. You can rag on the defense all you want, but if the offense can't keep them off the field in the fourth quarter, they are going to be really winded. I expect Cut's departure to result in not only improved second halves from the offense, but improved fourth quarters from the defense.

In the first section I've got the scores from each half of what I consider the major games (all the SEC games as well as Cal and Wisconsin). Below that are the other three games.

1st half - 2nd half

Cal: 21 - 10
UF: 13 - 0
UGA: 28 - 7
MSU: 17 - 16
Bam: 17 - 0
USC: 21 - 3, OT: 3
Ark: 20 - 7
UV: 10 - 17
UK: 24 - 7, OT: 21
LSU: 7 - 7
UW: 21 - 0

TOTAL: 199 - 74, about a 2.8:1 ratio.

If you include the minor games, it becomes a little closer, but still a 2:1 ratio.

SM: 17 - 20
ASU: 31 - 17
ULL: 17 - 21

OVERALL: 264 - 132

Great thread, it just shows you how overrated he is as a offensive coordinator.

also a pretty good indicator that as crunch time draws nigh, we play closer and closer to the vest.
yep. i was a little pissed off that when we got the ball back at the end of the 2nd qtr, with 3 time outs, that we were more than happy to just to ride out to half time. Wisc had just scored to draw it to 21-14, they had the momentum, and they get the ball 1st in the 2nd half.

i did not understand that at all. and it epitomized the biggest part of the conservative nature of CPF that i really can't stand.

I don't see why Ainge's shoulder/pinky being injured resulted in a complete abandonment of the run game in the second half of several games that were still within reach.

I agree at times we did abondon the run too quickly. But many times it was because the defense loaded up 8 guys in the box. I dont think its a good idea to continue beating your head against a wall with 8 guys in the box. They just need to make a play in one-on-one situations.

I have no idea what we were doing the second time we ran the "G-Gun". It just made no sense; especially on 3rd and 7.

My head nearly exploded when we did that crap. That's some of the most awful play calling I've seen. :shakehead:

I wonder what our record would have been if we were able to score in the 2nd half like we did in the first half...hmm

I'd guess a top 10 finish in a BCS game for sure.

Has Cut come out and given a explanation as to what he was trying to accomplish with that play? Or asked him who designed that play?

VN Store

Back