Dalton Knecht is the real deal

You don’t have to limit Knecht comparisons to only other white players, folks. 😂
I'll assume that was partially aimed at my comparison. I was prepared to have to offer an account for it because I knew someone would eventually make that connection, even if it was likely made in jest.

It just is what it is. White players have similar physical makeups and athletic limitations amongst themselves when compared to black players, most often. You don't see a lot of black players compared to white players, either, so it works both ways, I guess.

For me, I think it's generally unusual to see a white guard/SF with the kind of athleticism of Knecht and Sheppard. Both were smooth players who weren't limited by their athleticism and also possessed a lot of the fundamental basketball skills seen in players who do have athletic limitations. Good ball-handlers, good shooters from anywhere, hustlers, etc.

You don’t have to limit Knecht comparisons to only other white players, folks. 😂

Okay. Knecht = Bernard. Minus the rebounding. Without the ferocity. Without the quickness. But with a better 20-25 footer.

Don Johnson might be a good comp. Sorry. DJ was white.

Mike Jackson away from the basket. Tobias Harris or Tyler Smith near the basket except a little shorter.

At UT there haven’t been a whole lot of players that could score like him. Almost all of them are black fellers.

I never saw Grunfeld play, but was he the kind of athlete that Knecht seems to be?

As already mentioned, Ernie was more of a bruiser. Both can score near the basket and from outside. Both handle the ball very well. Ernie might be better at getting the ball to teammates for easy looks, but when you have Bernard on the other side of the half court it’s easy to get those ‘assists’.

Talk about hitting paydirt in the transfer portal! The guy can score from anywhere and really opens up our offense. It really sucks that we only get one year from Dalton but this could end up being a special year with this guy on the floor.
I see glimpses of Jimmy Chitwood.

Lots of similarities noted between Ernie and Knecht. I will say that Ernie was very animated on the court, but never in an “in-your-face” sort of way. He loved the game and the competition, and he literally willed Tennessee to some of those wins. As TGO noted, he was thick, a bruiser-type player with excellent mobility and a very high basketball IQ. In his UT career, he got to the FT line a bunch.

Last edited:
Lots of similarities noted between Ernie and Knecht. i will say that Ernie was very animated on the court, but never in an “in-your-face” sort of way. He loved the game and the competition, and he literally willed Tennessee to some of those wins. As TGO noted, he was thick, a bruiser-type player with excellent mobility and a very high basketball IQ. In his UT career, he got to the FT line a bunch.
Ernie’s will to win was very similar to Grant Williams. In fact, my memory Grant’s game reminded me a lot of Ernie’s, just that Ernie was a better ball handler. Just my memory(which now is getting foggier).

His ability to get to his spots and score or draw a foul inside the arc reminds me of Jimmy Butler.

Not saying the rest of their game is similar, but that one ability is rare and uncanny.

Thinking about it, a more apt comparison might be Paul George or Jayson Tatum since they can both shoot the 3 and are worse playmakers than Butler.

Without making expectation too high, I'd go college Dillon Brooks. Same size, efficiency, 3 pt ability, attacking mentality, a little distribution, a little rebounding, etc.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Extremely athletic and explodes off the floor. Pretty good jump shot as well. Has NBA written all over him. Also has some quiet attitude. Like I know I can play, try to guard me.

Knecht is very talented offensively, but he's a turnover waiting to happen anytime the ball is in his hands and he attempts to drive the ball in traffic. It happens several times a game.

Knecht is very talented offensively, but he's a turnover waiting to happen anytime the ball is in his hands and he attempts to drive the ball in traffic. It happens several times a game.
No. He's averaging 1.7 TOs per game, had 0 against Kansas and hss yet to have more than 3 in a game. That's on relatively heavy usage.

VN Store

Back