DB’s in the portal

Banks is the problem
Maybe the problem is CJH, it is his team. He sets the tone. He wants to play a bend don't break defense. I mean, if I were thin on defense and I know that the offense scores fast, I wouldn't have my defense sit back and play 100 plays a game. Then have a lineman fake an injury every fg or extra point.

Reactions: Flovol
I don't think all the DB's leaving will affect the bowl game. From what i have seen Iowa cannot throw the ball pass the ball more than 10 yards.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Maybe the problem is CJH, it is his team. He sets the tone. He wants to play a bend don't break defense. I mean, if I were thin on defense and I know that the offense scores fast, I wouldn't have my defense sit back and play 100 plays a game. Then have a lineman fake an injury every fg or extra point.
don't forget to send the kicker out when down 4 tds

Does being in the portal mean for sure they are not playing? I know some have been in the portal and decided to return. Does anyone know Heuple’s policy?

What is the deal with all of the defensive backs entering the portal? Who will play in the bowl game?
It's called NIL, young guns are more talented and can't afford to lose them. They will take over beginning with the bowl game. Only issues here now is depth.

It's about time. Now they have no excuse to play the younger, more talented, DBs. Should be a great move.
I'd have to think that the younger guys are all that's left in the secondary. Given the opt outs to date, folks like me who kept harping about playing youngsters will get our wish. Shame it has to be against such a stout defense, but after seeing out schedule next season, it might be a blessing in disguise. My one wish is to get out of that bowl game without a major injury.

Reactions: lukeneyland
Slaughter is the only one of these guys that is a big loss. I watched him intently and he played very well and he was by far our most versatile DB--one of the few that actually looked for the ball consistently when covering a receiver. After Hadden, our best DB by a mile.

I'm not sure which metric is used. Through 12/9/2023, Tennessee nationally is:

#80 in passing defense (234.9 yards per game)
#90 in passes defended (3.83 per game)
I have no clue how the coaches are handling this situation, but with this much movement I have to assume they are doing SOMETHING.

Its pretty much GOT to be better than what we had this year.

Reactions: casual-observer
How do you know what type of defense Heupel WANTS to play (as opposed to what he HAS to play)?
We were very aggressive against the run this year as well as in the pass rush. Maybe Heupel’s goal is to do the same in the secondary but he just hasn’t had that level of talent yet. The recruiting at least shows that he is going for faster and more dominating defensive backs. And the large turnover in the defensive backfield may very well be housecleaning to set the stage for that in 2024 as our existing defenders know that they are being recruited over now.
Heupel is no idiot. He knows that the defensive secondary had cost him some big loses so far (and probably a playoff berth in 2022 with the USC debacle). I have no reason to believe he wishes that trend to continue

VN Store

Back