Defense Training - Is It true?

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
I'd like to know if there's any truth to the following in terms of did it really happen.

I seem to vaguely recall a tale as a teenager that a UT coach working with the Vols defense had a rabid approach. He told the guys that the football was theirs. If anyone had the football and wasn't wearing orange to knock them through the ground. To stress this, he tossed the ball to some guy who had no orange attire. Yelling at the team he asked where the ball was. They pointed to the guy holding. He asked if the guy was wearing orange. "No!" Then asked why h3ll were they allowing him to have the ball. At this they rushed the guy who threw the ball down in terror and ran off the field. The idea was that no one but a Vols player had any business holding the ball and they treated the ball carrier accordingly. They were expected to have this attitude in each game. It seems I either read this in some newspaper or someone in Knoxville told me this. I can't recall which. So is this true? If so, who was the coach, and what year was this?

Reactions: 3 people
Yea I didnt read too much of that but please change your dang avi. that junk is downright awful

Reactions: 6 people
Hmm sit down and think to the time you were a teenager and see if you can tell us what years that was.This will give us a hint as to who was the coach then.

JK lol Sorry but I have never heard that story in my 60 years of following the Vols. :crazy:

Sal told them to give the other guy a 10 yard head start and then go after them. Then it was their choice in what to do once they caught up IF they caught up.

It was an article with Butch showing priority in securing the ball and never letting it hit the ground. In the article it says he had to tell a referee that if a ball dropped he needed to back away as his players are taught to attack the ball if it touches the ground.

I'm on mobile and don't really want to look it up but I believe I read it on tos.

Hmm sit down and think to the time you were a teenager and see if you can tell us what years that was.This will give us a hint as to who was the coach then.

JK lol Sorry but I have never heard that story in my 60 years of following the Vols. :crazy:

Problem is, I can't recall if when I heard this if it was contemporary at the time or not.

Reactions: 1 person
40 years ago it was called smear the q............or pitch up and smear in the more politically correct present.

Reactions: 2 people
Let's see ... a guy not wearing orange, dropping the ball, and running from a bunch of people in orange ... Let me think ... It's coming to me ... I got it!!!! That was in January 2010, Lane Kiffin leaves Tennessee for USC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Sounds like some Gen. Robert R. Neyland to me!

I'd like to know if there's any truth to the following in terms of did it really happen.

I seem to vaguely recall a tale as a teenager that a UT coach working with the Vols defense had a rabid approach. He told the guys that the football was theirs. If anyone had the football and wasn't wearing orange to knock them through the ground. To stress this, he tossed the ball to some guy who had no orange attire. Yelling at the team he asked where the ball was. They pointed to the guy holding. He asked if the guy was wearing orange. "No!" Then asked why h3ll were they allowing him to have the ball. At this they rushed the guy who threw the ball down in terror and ran off the field. The idea was that no one but a Vols player had any business holding the ball and they treated the ball carrier accordingly. They were expected to have this attitude in each game. It seems I either read this in some newspaper or someone in Knoxville told me this. I can't recall which. So is this true? If so, who was the coach, and what year was this?

I think that was Coach Winters from 'The Program'.

I don't know if that story is true or not. If it is, I would suggest, based purely on results, that it was someone on the Dickey/early Battle era defensive staff. The 1970 and '71 defenses established the following records for turnovers, which, to this day, remain unbroken:

MOST OPPONENTS’ TURNOVERS
57—Tennessee, 1970 (21 fumbles recovered, 36 interceptions)

MOST YARDS GAINED ON INTERCEPTION RETURNS
782—Tennessee, 1971 (25 interceptions)

HIGHEST AVERAGE PER INTERCEPTION RETURN
(Min. 10-14 ints.) 36.3—Oregon St., 1959 (12 for 436)
(Min. 15 ints.) 31.3—Tennessee, 1971 (25 for 782)

MOST TOUCHDOWNS ON INTERCEPTION RETURNS
7—Tennessee, 1971 (25 interceptions; 287 pass attempts against)

Please note that, in the 1971 Sugar Bowl victory (34-13) over Air Force, we had an additional four fumble recoveries and four interceptions. Bowl games were not counted statistically in those days. Otherwise, our NCAA single season record for turnovers would be 65, not 57.

In those years, we were turning out All-American linebackers and defensive backs left and right.

VN Store

Back