Defensive Turnaround

FollowTheLeader

After seeing all the praise of Coach Blake Baker for his Defensive turnaround at Mizzou, I thought it interesting that we wanted to FIRE our Coach who accomplished more. Today, Baker became the highest paid coach in college football because of the defensive turnaround at Mizzou....one that's almost the same as ours under Banks but without the challenge of depleted roster, mass defensive exodus, looming sanctions or playing along side of fast paced offense.

A few accomplishments I can remember off the top of my head. This is in addition to improving the defensive yards per play and points per play.

-Yards per play at just under 5, is the best by defense in 14 years (per Bill Martin)

-3 years of accumulated 296 TFL under Banks is the most in any 3 year span in school history. 101 TFL in 2023 is second most in a season, only behind 2021 with 102 TFL.

-3 Defensive touchdowns in one game is the MOST in school HISTORY.

-The Cheez it Bowl is the first shut out in a bowl for Vol football since 1957 and only the third in program history.

-The Vanderbilt shut out last year was the first shut out of SEC opponent in 20 years I believe (it was Vanderbilt, but we play Vanderbilt every year).

-Each season under Banks, the defense has fielded a shut-out. 3 consecutive shut outs thr past 3 years is the most consecutive shut outs in almost 20 years.

While Baker is being praised for the statistical improvements made at Mizzou in a short time, some of our fans want to FIRE coach Banks and he has made greater strides at Tennessee in spite of all the challenges, than have been made by Baker at Mizzou.

Last edited:
Not arguing w/ Miz DC ability, but fact looking at their 2 deep depth chart, they had 8 seniors starting and 13 seniors on their 2 deep depth chart. Probably a good thing for him that he got the contract this year. Depletion on D + losing all SEC RB may make things more difficult...but in grand scheme, their SEC slate is pretty light, compared to many SEC teams. I tend to look at JH and think/hope he's kinda like Barnes. Barnes is most winning coach since he's been in SEC...has outlasted Wade at LSU, splashes from Ark, TaM, UF, etc and he's still churning, and generally put us w/ KY as the two lead teams in SEC YOY. Teams like Miz may have some splash years, but hoping JH has that long-game success and continues to build on solid foundation.

As fast as our offense runs, a lot of our defensive stats are too skewed to really glean anything from. More chances at TFL's will inevitably equal more TFL's. Same with defensive scoring. The average yards per play for any competent defense should be under 5yds. The shutouts are the most impressive stat you listed.

After seeing all the praise of Coach Blake Baker for his Defensive turnaround at Mizzou, I thought it interesting that we wanted to FIRE our Coach who accomplished more. Today, Baker became the highest paid coach in college football because of the defensive turnaround at Mizzou....one that's almost the same as ours under Banks but without the challenge of depleted roster, mass defensive exodus, looming sanctions or playing along side of fast paced offense.

A few accomplishments I can remember off the top of my head. This is in addition to improving the defensive yards per play and points per play.

-Yards per play at just under 5, is the best by defense in 14 years (per Bill Martin)

-3 years of accumulated 296 TFL under Banks is the most in any 3 year span in school history. 101 TFL in 2023 is second most in a season, only behind 2021 with 102 TFL.

-3 Defensive touchdowns in one game is the MOST in school HISTORY.

-The Cheez it Bowl is the first shut out in a bowl for Vol football since 1957 and only the third in program history.

-The Vanderbilt shut out last year was the first shut out of SEC opponent in 20 years I believe (it was Vanderbilt, but we play Vanderbilt every year).

-Each season under Banks, the defense has fielded a shut-out. 3 consecutive shut outs thr past 3 years is the most consecutive shut outs in almost 20 years.

While Baker is being praised for the statistical improvements made at Mizzou in a short time, some of our fans want to FIRE coach Banks and he has made greater strides at Tennessee in spite of all the challenges, than have been made by Baker at Mizzou.
🤣😂🥲🤣😂🤣😅🤣😂🤣🤣😂😅😆😆😅😂

Oh wait, you're serious. You really believe that Banks collapses in big games and inability to match wits with good play callers hasn't been a big part of almost every loss. Exactly what kind of crush you have on the guy... I don't know. But you need some help unless you're his kid or something.
🙄🙄

🤣😂🥲🤣😂🤣😅🤣😂🤣🤣😂😅😆😆😅😂

Oh wait, you're serious. You really believe that Banks collapses in big games and inability to match wits with good play callers hasn't been a big part of almost every loss. Exactly what kind of crush you have on the guy... I don't know. But you need some help unless you're his kid or something.
🙄🙄
I thought @Freak put you on a "Smilie Limit"

Reactions: MemphisVol77
🤣😂🥲🤣😂🤣😅🤣😂🤣🤣😂😅😆😆😅😂

🙄🙄

This is exactly what I've said about people being triggered when you say anything good about Coach Banks. That says alot about who some people really are at personally as human beings. What kind of insecurities are you struggling with that would make you actually take time out of your day to mock a positive post about one of our coaches. As a Tennessee fan, we should all be proud of what this team has been able to accomplish in a short time period of time and every player and coach was a part of it.

Speaking of help......get some.

This is exactly what I've said about people being triggered when you say anything good about Coach Banks. That says alot about who some people really are at personally as human beings. What kind of insecurities are you struggling with that would make you actually take time out of your day to mock a positive post about one of our coaches. As a Tennessee fan, we should all be proud of what this team has been able to accomplish in a short time period of time and every player and coach was a part of it.

Speaking of help......get some.
No. You are just triggered whenever someone doesn't drool over a guy who so far has been the weak link in this staff.

The rest of your post just demonstrates your delusion and your own "insecurities" that you cannot handle honest criticism of a guy whose gameplanning, scheming, and playcalling have frequently been "wanting".

Blake Baker is the highest paid coach in college football?
Yeah Saban is a broke broke compared to him 🤣.

I stopped reading after I saw that. Because you can't take anybody seriously that says something crazy as that.

Not arguing w/ Miz DC ability, but fact looking at their 2 deep depth chart, they had 8 seniors starting and 13 seniors on their 2 deep depth chart. Probably a good thing for him that he got the contract this year. Depletion on D + losing all SEC RB may make things more difficult...but in grand scheme, their SEC slate is pretty light, compared to many SEC teams. I tend to look at JH and think/hope he's kinda like Barnes. Barnes is most winning coach since he's been in SEC...has outlasted Wade at LSU, splashes from Ark, TaM, UF, etc and he's still churning, and generally put us w/ KY as the two lead teams in SEC YOY. Teams like Miz may have some splash years, but hoping JH has that long-game success and continues to build on solid foundation.
Totally agree and you add in SEC leading running back that just got 1st downs, never a home run threat. Why do I mention that, is if you sustain long drives and keep your D off the field. Guess what if their O is not out there chances of them scoring are zilch. The time of possession in our game just shows you how a running back when its 3rd & 5 he gets 6. It keeps the other teams O off the field and rest for their D. This is what one of their coaches said if we needed 2 he got 3 , if we needed 1 he got 2. I just don't think they can replace that consistent running next year. It is really something he lead the SEC without having 3 or 4 over 50 yard rushes. Just think of Wright some of the long TD runs he had.

Reactions: njvols
Banks has been the perfect mirror to Heupel on the other side of the ball.

Look great against equal or inferior competition / coaches to inflate stats, and then subpar against teams with more talent or coaches with more knowledge.

Our defensive line and RBs have looked good consistently since they arrived. Every other positional group has been sporadic at best.

When we are winning championships around here, a handful of vocal critics of Tim Banks and Willie Martinez will still be insisting that they're not good coaches. Amazes me that these vn.com members believe they're better judges of coaching talent than Josh Heupel.

That's some real hubris. Heh.

Go Vols!

It’s difficult to compare our defense to other teams because of the type of offense we run. We were dead last in time of offensive possession (coming in at 130th) in all of FBS college football at only 24 minutes per game. That means opposing offenses had the ball on average 36 minutes per game. We gave up on average 20.31 points per game. So, on average we surrendered .564 points per minute of the opposing teams’ possession.

Georgia, the number one scoring defense in the SEC, gave up 15.64 points per game and opposing offenses had the ball 27 minutes per game; or .579 points per minute. So, our defense surrenders fewer points per game than Georgia when you factor for opposing teams time of possession. I haven’t run the math on all the SEC schools but by this measure I would expect to find we are at or near the top of the conference in points per minute of offensive possession allowed.

This is by design because we go fast on offense and expect to score a lot of points. I’m sure if I can figure this out CJH has known it for a while. So, I wouldn’t expect Coach Banks to be going anywhere soon except by his own volition.

It’s difficult to compare our defense to other teams because of the type of offense we run. We were dead last in time of offensive possession (coming in at 130th) in all of FBS college football at only 24 minutes per game. That means opposing offenses had the ball on average 36 minutes per game. We gave up on average 20.31 points per game. So, on average we surrendered .564 points per minute of the opposing teams’ possession.

Georgia, the number one scoring defense in the SEC, gave up 15.64 points per game and opposing offenses had the ball 27 minutes per game; or .579 points per minute. So, our defense surrenders fewer points per game than Georgia when you factor for opposing teams time of possession. I haven’t run the math on all the SEC schools but by this measure I would expect to find we are at or near the top of the conference in points per minute of offensive possession allowed.

This is by design because we go fast on offense and expect to score a lot of points. I’m sure if I can figure this out CJH has known it for a while. So, I wouldn’t expect Coach Banks to be going anywhere soon except by his own volition.
Excellent point, '74.

Those who want to argue with you will say, "It's not points per minute that matters, it's points per game. The scoreboard."

While true, that misses the topic of this conversation--how good or bad is Tim Banks?

There's a difference between a bad defense (one that gives up a lot of points per minute) and a stressed defense. The latter is one that, due to the head coach's playstyle and strategy, operates as best it can under unusually challenging circumstances. Like allowing the other team 60% or more of the game time.

Some folks won't get the distinction, probably. But it's an important one.

Thanks for it.

Go Vols!

💯 💯 💯 ......yes. It's really simple, but for some reason, some of our fans will still come back and point out how many yards another team was able to gain or how the backfield sucks and how the scheme is terrible.

Coach Banks said from the minute he got here that his goal would be do whatever he thought necessary to help TENN win games. Doesn't matter what it looks like or that it's inconsistent......the point is to stop the other teams from scoring more than us. We've had 3 really good seasons, best we've had in years, so these coaches are doing something right.

They have not had the ability over the past few years to step in and do what others coaches might do because we were starting from a position that most coaches have no idea about and it's why again, the Tennessee DC position was NOT an attractive position. It's been trial and error for the team and staff and by all accounts, they've faired extremely well.

And I have to assume that everything we think we know as a fan base, pales in comparison to what these coaches know, so I trust and respect the job they've done. It's not perfect, but we're winning games, so GBO!!!!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back