Defensive Turnaround

Banks has been the perfect mirror to Heupel on the other side of the ball.

Look great against equal or inferior competition / coaches to inflate stats, and then subpar against teams with more talent or coaches with more knowledge.

Our defensive line and RBs have looked good consistently since they arrived. Every other positional group has been sporadic at best.

I'd like for our defense to be able to get pressure without blitzing so much. Our interior DL are good against the run, but we don't have a superstar DT who can stop the run and also get good inside pressure on the QB. Of course, those are rare to find.

It’s difficult to compare our defense to other teams because of the type of offense we run. We were dead last in time of offensive possession (coming in at 130th) in all of FBS college football at only 24 minutes per game. That means opposing offenses had the ball on average 36 minutes per game. We gave up on average 20.31 points per game. So, on average we surrendered .564 points per minute of the opposing teams’ possession.

Georgia, the number one scoring defense in the SEC, gave up 15.64 points per game and opposing offenses had the ball 27 minutes per game; or .579 points per minute. So, our defense surrenders fewer points per game than Georgia when you factor for opposing teams time of possession. I haven’t run the math on all the SEC schools but by this measure I would expect to find we are at or near the top of the conference in points per minute of offensive possession allowed.

This is by design because we go fast on offense and expect to score a lot of points. I’m sure if I can figure this out CJH has known it for a while. So, I wouldn’t expect Coach Banks to be going anywhere soon except by his own volition.

Our defense averages 36 minutes a game....most of any team in the SEC. Part of that is our offensive scheme but we've also had troubles getting people off the field on 3rd down. We have some very good players on D but we need to add some superstars - a Haynesworth/Henderson to our interior line, an Al Wilson/Raynock Thompson to the LB group, and a Dion Grant/Dwayne Goodrich to the defensive backs.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I'd like for our defense to be able to get pressure without blitzing so much. Our interior DL are good against the run, but we don't have a superstar DT who can stop the run and also get good inside pressure on the QB. Of course, those are rare to find.
I would like to get sacks and tackles for loses with a three man rush, but that is not going to happen against teams with good offenses. I like the way our defense plays, especially in the bowl,game with some new and younger plays in the secondary.

I would like to get sacks and tackles for loses with a three man rush, but that is not going to happen against teams with good offenses. I like the way our defense plays, especially in the bowl,game with some new and younger plays in the secondary.

We usually rush at least 4 unless we're in the dreaded prevent. But to get pressure and sacks we have to add a 5th and sometimes 6th man to the rush and it leaves the DBs very vulnerable which is why they usually play with a lot of cushion. I'm optimistic about the new secondary players but can't really use the Iowa game for much - we'll not face that bad of an offense in any game next year.

We usually rush at least 4 unless we're in the dreaded prevent. But to get pressure and sacks we have to add a 5th and sometimes 6th man to the rush and it leaves the DBs very vulnerable which is why they usually play with a lot of cushion. I'm optimistic about the new secondary players but can't really use the Iowa game for much - we'll not face that bad of an offense in any game next year.
The only concern I have the bowl game was the problems we had stopping the QB draw and keepers when the second team QB entered the game. Iowa picked up a bout have of their ground yards during the series. As I have said before, if I was coaching against Tennessee, Imwoul run a lot of QB draws and QB keepers.

Reactions: Sarms58
I don't buy into it that Banks is a terrible DC but my criticism of him and Hyp is their refusal to address the DB issues. Maybe they have finally addressed it some with this last recruiting class. Not defending Banks entirely here as I do agree the D has not been that good.

I am giving Banks somewhat of pass due to having to scheme around what he has and cover for the bad DB play and, as stated by other posters, the time on the field issue. Also, not sure if Martinez is the coaching issue or not. Some say Banks coaches the DB's so not sure about that.

Yeah Saban is a broke broke compared to him 🤣.

I stopped reading after I saw that. Because you can't take anybody seriously that says something crazy as that.
I think it’s pretty obvious that he meant to say the highest paid assistant coach, because that’s what he now is. Making 2.5 million per year…the highest paid (assistant) coach in college.

The fire banks people are ignorant. The defense is greatly improved under Banks. Statistically, PFF grades, points per game, run defense, pass defense, you’d be hard pressed to find an area we haven’t improved.
This is true. I really do not get all the Banks hate especially from posters that seem to be extremely objective.
Stats can be used to support or negate any opinion. Unfortunately, some people put weight on some stats while others prioritize different stats. Others will say it isn't the stats, it's the eye test.

I look at scoring defense. That is my only metric to judge a defense. Using that KPI, our defense has improved every year in the NCAA and the SEC (I posted the rankings in another forum). We aren't UGA and we don't have their D, and we likely never will. We need a good enough D to limit points while our offense (hopefully) put the game out of reach.

Reactions: FollowTheLeader
The only concern I have the bowl game was the problems we had stopping the QB draw and keepers when the second team QB entered the game. Iowa picked up a bout have of their ground yards during the series. As I have said before, if I was coaching against Tennessee, Imwoul run a lot of QB draws and QB keepers.
I get what you're saying but we had a lot of backups in at that time. Of course, we started some backups in the DB from the get-go.

Maybe my expectations were too low but I was much more disappointed in the offense than I was the defense this past season.

Reactions: SockeyeVol
When we are winning championships around here, a handful of vocal critics of Tim Banks and Willie Martinez will still be insisting that they're not good coaches. Amazes me that these vn.com members believe they're better judges of coaching talent than Josh Heupel.

That's some real hubris. Heh.

Go Vols!
That's easy to say.
I don't deal in hypotheticals....

When we ACTUALLY win a championship, then you can make this statement.

That's easy to say.
I don't deal in hypotheticals....

When we ACTUALLY win a championship, then you can make this statement.
There's no hypothetical involved in the hubris of people who RIGHT NOW are claiming to know coaching talent better than Josh Heupel.

I was only saying that I fully expect the hubris to continue right up to its ludicrous extremes. And, for the record, that is not hypothetical, either. It is an expectation. Here's the difference:

Say I have a hypothesis that the earth's rotation makes it appear the sun rises every 24 hours. Even if that hypothesis does not prove correct, I still fully expect the sun to come up tomorrow morning.

See? Those are different. My statement was only an expectation: that those who are fools in their judgment of our coaches will continue to be fools right to the bitter end.

Heh.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
When you take over a dumpster fire that Heup took over there is only one logical thing to do. You have to get really good on one side of the ball. They decided to concentrate on offense the first couple of years. Then they were able to do more for defense. That is why we had to play how we did on defense. We didn't have the speed to play man-to-man so the choices were to play deep and make tackles and try not to give up the big play (similar to what Michigan did in the first half against Washington) and make the other offense have long drives. we gave up very few long plays this past year. When we did it was because of missed tackles. Now that we have some better talent in the secondary, hopefully we are able to play more man.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Excellent point, '74.

Those who want to argue with you will say, "It's not points per minute that matters, it's points per game. The scoreboard."

While true, that misses the topic of this conversation--how good or bad is Tim Banks?

There's a difference between a bad defense (one that gives up a lot of points per minute) and a stressed defense. The latter is one that, due to the head coach's playstyle and strategy, operates as best it can under unusually challenging circumstances. Like allowing the other team 60% or more of the game time.

Some folks won't get the distinction, probably. But it's an important one.

Thanks for it.

Go Vols!

The challenges that our offense, especially when it is equipped with an elite quarterback, imposes upon other defenses also underscores the need to stockpile as much talent and depth on our defense as possible. The fact that Coach Heupel is serious about wanting to construct an elite-level defense also illustrates that he is not satisfied with simply trying to outscore the opposition.

On another front, what is the over/under on just how massive future transfer portal activity will be away from Alabama, now that Saban is retiring?

The challenges that our offense, especially when it is equipped with an elite quarterback, imposes upon other defenses also underscores the need to stockpile as much talent and depth on our defense as possible. The fact that Coach Heupel is serious about wanting to construct an elite-level defense also illustrates that he is not satisfied with simply trying to outscore the opposition.

On another front, what is the over/under on just how massive future transfer portal activity will be away from Alabama, now that Saban is retiring?

JP, this is completely off base but, as a West Point grad, you will undoubtedly appreciate the fact that it seems the Air Force is now employing a new stealth strategy: defeat the enemy with lethal force and beauty. Air Force Academy grad and, apparently, active-duty combat pilot Madison Marsh is also a Miss America finalist. GOD BLESS THE USA: Air Force Pilot Finalist For Miss America | PHOTOS

So many subs getting real game reps at that point its understandable that the defense gave up yardage. Like you I didn't like seeing us give up chunks but excited for the younger guys getting experience.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE

VN Store

Back