Dick Vitale predicts UT not in sweet 16.

comparing UT to Duke is a tad silly. Duke is an outlier not the norm. Duke will be on everyone's sweet 16 list every year for the foreseeable future just like Obama will be seen as a playoff hopefully every year in football. Fair or not they have the cache for that and can recruit blindfolded no matter the coach or situation.

Duke has missed the tourney 3 times in the last 41 years. in those 38 trips they have lost in the first round twice and won 5 Nattys. 29 sweet 16's. Oh and their recruiting class has 5 freshmen all in the top freaking 30 headlined by Cooper Flagg. Are you being serious here?

The other teams on that list you could have pointed out are Arkansas and Kentucky but oops they filled their transfer slots with top 50 guys instead of top 200's and have multiple top 40 freshmen coming in.

Look at what the teams lost and what they brought in. Duke loses multiple players to the NBA every year and fills their spots with more. We do not and did not. Duke has had 28 first-round draft picks the last 10 years. They average almost 3 a year. UT has had 4 (13 all-time). Kentucky has a similar track record and Arkansas funny enough sends players to the NBA regularly and they stole some 5 stars from Kentucky in the portal. So no, no team in Vitales list is comparable in situation to UT or even close. Never join a straw grasping competition my friend.
You can always change the rules to justify a different approach, the harder thing is to keep this exceptions for every run.

Dick is a "dick".Worked at TPC Prestancia golf course in Sarasota,Fla where he lived,and he was an ass to most people. the only time he would acknowledge you lived was when his basketball magazine came out each fall.The members didn't care for him either. His home was on the twelveth fairway.
Pretty spot on. He is always peddling his books at breakfast.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
comparing UT to Duke is a tad silly. Duke is an outlier not the norm. Duke will be on everyone's sweet 16 list every year for the foreseeable future just like Obama will be seen as a playoff hopefully every year in football. Fair or not they have the cache for that and can recruit blindfolded no matter the coach or situation.

Duke has missed the tourney 3 times in the last 41 years. in those 38 trips they have lost in the first round twice and won 5 Nattys. 29 sweet 16's. Oh and their recruiting class has 5 freshmen all in the top freaking 30 headlined by Cooper Flagg. Are you being serious here?

The other teams on that list you could have pointed out are Arkansas and Kentucky but oops they filled their transfer slots with top 50 guys instead of top 200's and have multiple top 40 freshmen coming in.

Look at what the teams lost and what they brought in. Duke loses multiple players to the NBA every year and fills their spots with more. We do not and did not. Duke has had 28 first-round draft picks the last 10 years. They average almost 3 a year. UT has had 4 (13 all-time). Kentucky has a similar track record and Arkansas funny enough sends players to the NBA regularly and they stole some 5 stars from Kentucky in the portal. So no, no team in Vitales list is comparable in situation to UT or even close. Never join a straw grasping competition my friend.
Uh where does Hussein fit in here for the "foreseeable future" ? maybe they did legalize some drugs in Tn to help residents with coherent ,relevant posting. Hmmmm

Reactions: pimo1
I think the talent is there. The offensive skill as a whole is there to be more explosive than last season. IMO. But there’s a lot of new guys that will need to gel and young guys that need to take big steps. Defense will be interesting to see too. We had guys out there that could play defense in their sleep (Santi, 3J and Aidoo). But generally I trust Barnes teams to get there defensively. So many unknowns has got me really excited for the season. It’ll be fun to watch the team develop.

We lost some of the longest tenured and most productive players we’ve ever had. It’ll be hard to follow what they did. I’m very excited about the upcoming season because we have a great staff that develops players and we have a mature point guard who is one of the best in the country. Mashack will add improved offense to his pro level defense. Combine that with our new players, and I think we’ll be in the tournament as a floor. Laugh at me later if I’m wrong, but I think Igor is going to be very very good at both ends. I’d look for his flexibility, outside shooting and ability to drive to change spacing and flow. I think Okpara and Estrella will be a very interesting pair at the 5, and I love Lanier’s court vision and crossover. Overall, this team will be able to drive and spread out the floor better than last year. Our defense can be very good. It’s hard to ask them to match last year, but they’ll make some offenses miserable. No one knows our ceiling, but it will be fun to find out where it is.

We lost some of the longest tenured and most productive players we’ve ever had. It’ll be hard to follow what they did. I’m very excited about the upcoming season because we have a great staff that develops players and we have a mature point guard who is one of the best in the country. Mashack will add improved offense to his pro level defense. Combine that with our new players, and I think we’ll be in the tournament as a floor. Laugh at me later if I’m wrong, but I think Igor is going to be very very good at both ends. I’d look for his flexibility, outside shooting and ability to drive to change spacing and flow. I think Okpara and Estrella will be a very interesting pair at the 5, and I love Lanier’s court vision and crossover. Overall, this team will be able to drive and spread out the floor better than last year. Our defense can be very good. It’s hard to ask them to match last year, but they’ll make some offenses miserable. No one knows our ceiling, but it will be fun to find out where it is.
Measured confidence. I likey! 👀☝️🍻

You can always change the rules to justify a different approach, the harder thing is to keep this exceptions for every run.
huh? I am so confused, truly
Yikes, did SI talk to Vitale?
The thing is like it or not his list makes perfect sense. it has logical justifications and teams are about where they should be. The teams near the top have fairly little turnover and elite additions. the ones near the bottom have more turnover. Kentucky is the one outlier that I'm not on board with but pretty much anyone not a UT fan would put them in over us based on them being Kentucky. I honestly think we will be easily a better team than them. They not only have a new coaching staff but all players on this roster are first-years there. Too much new to survive the SEC grind. But, much like UT maybe they can be late bloomers. But I think all of this stuff is a bit premature.. schedules aren't even out yet.

Looking at the depth of this team, I'd consider that as a disappointing season.

This team has a lot of guys that can shoot, it's much different than last year where we only had 1 guy that could get you a bucket

I can definitely see Tennessee making it past the sweet 16. I'm really big on Igor, I think he will be our star

Looking at the depth of this team, I'd consider that as a disappointing season.

This team has a lot of guys that can shoot, it's much different than last year where we only had 1 guy that could get you a bucket

I can definitely see Tennessee making it past the sweet 16. I'm really big on Igor, I think he will be our star
Lots of potential on this team. Next man up and spread the wealth. ZZ gotta make sure erabody eats.

No expert or any member of this board knows how this team will perform this upcoming season.

Slinging **** at the wall should be a sport..
I’m knowledgeable about basketball and I can say withconfidence that our roster is one of the 16 most talented. Whether it plays out that way remains to be seen, but we’re talented enough to make a March madness run

Dick Vitale is about as relevant as spats and stovepipe hats.
I think he and Lee Corso are given air time, for longevity they gave a lot to the games but they are propped up as their finishing their careers. Both great careers but they are both irrelevant. No one in the Sports media will say it and they wont go out gracefully. I think they will both die still doing what they love to do or get so feeble its impossible for their media to bring them on. Great to see them last this long but at same time, kind of sad.

Reactions: Special Ed
I think he and Lee Corso are given air time, for longevity they gave a lot to the games but they are propped up as their finishing their careers. Both great careers but they are both irrelevant. No one in the Sports media will say it and they wont go out gracefully. I think they will both die still doing what they love to do or get so feeble its impossible for their media to bring them on. Great to see them last this long but at same time, kind of sad.

I think it’s been a while since Vitale has called a game. He’s gotten cancer and had successful treatments several times over the last few years.

Corso doesn’t get a lot of minutes in front of the camera. He’s certainly not the same, but a lot of viewers still like to see him. As long as he can say his lines, why not roll him out for a bit? Let him pet Smokey and UGA and put on the silly mascot headgear. Game Day must be about a 2-hour show and he’s only sitting there for a half hour or less. Maybe only 15 minutes. He’s hanging out in the bus for most of the 2 hours. He’s a rock star when they walk him to the set. The fans in the crowd love seeing Lee shuffle by and wave as he is taken to his seat.

I’m knowledgeable about basketball and I can say withconfidence that our roster is one of the 16 most talented. Whether it plays out that way remains to be seen, but we’re talented enough to make a March madness run
I want them to repeat as SEC reg season champs first. That will get them a 1 or 2 seed, which is most favorable for a deep run

VN Store

Back