DJ Jefferson not practicing?

I remember Admiral Schofield getting in the doghouse and wasn't allowed to play early in the season. He was still out there with the team on the court cheering and supporting the team on in warm-ups. Whatever it was Admiral was being punished for he got, the message, accepted the coaching, and went on to be one of UT's best leaders.
I'm hopeful Jefferson responds similar to Admiral, in terms of attitude and work ethic.

Only scholarship player to not see the floor last night, don’t know if that is related to this or not. But it is interesting. I hope everything works out with DJ

Only scholarship player to not see the floor last night, don’t know if that is related to this or not. But it is interesting. I hope everything works out with DJ
I didn't get to watch the but did Cameron Carr play as well?

I'm going to guess that DJJ is probably not long for this world as a Tennessee basketball player. He's going to want to play at some point, and between his own issues and our overall talent, the floor time just doesn't seem to be there enough to keep him in Knoxville.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I'm going to guess that DJJ is probably not long for this world as a Tennessee basketball player. He's going to want to play at some point, and between his own issues and our overall talent, the floor time just doesn't seem to be there enough to keep him in Knoxville.
Yeah not playing a single minute in an exhibition game where 3 true freshman and another red-shirt freshman played isn't a good, promising look for him.

Agreed. I know yesterday was just simply an exhibition game, but the fact that Jefferson didn’t even see the floor in a game where everyone else played with us down 2 starters I think speaks volumes. I’m not sure how anyone can be confident that he’ll ever get meaningful minutes here when apparently he isn’t in a position, either due to a lack of talent OR due to not living up to program standards, where he doesn’t even get 1-2 minutes on the floor in an exhibition.

Agreed. I know yesterday was just simply an exhibition game, but the fact that Jefferson didn’t even see the floor in a game where everyone else played with us down 2 starters I think speaks volumes. I’m not sure how anyone can be confident that he’ll ever get meaningful minutes here when apparently he isn’t in a position, either due to a lack of talent OR due to not living up to program standards, where he doesn’t even get 1-2 minutes on the floor in an exhibition.
It's not lack of talent, it has to be something else

He missed some academic meetings and practices this Summer, and was struggling with attitude in general. They had a myway/highway meeting and he’s done well since. Sitting for MSU was part of his punishment from earlier. I agree that the larger problem is available minutes, and that probably will push him to transfer.

He missed some academic meetings and practices this Summer, and was struggling with attitude in general. They had a myway/highway meeting and he’s done well since. Sitting for MSU was part of his punishment from earlier. I agree that the larger problem is available minutes, and that probably will push him to transfer.
Safe to assume Jefferson won’t see much playing time this year given this. It’s unfortunate though, kids real athletic.

Safe to assume Jefferson won’t see much playing time this year given this. It’s unfortunate though, kids real athletic.
I’m not sure I’d write him off yet. I think everyone wants it to work. He seems to have rebooted and is doing his part. The hill is just going to be steep to find playing time.

Wish he’d look at Mashack’s progression and buy in to the program. Jefferson is a great athlete much like Mashack who has made steady improvement each season and I suspect will be one of our top players this year and next. Sort of like how Coach Garner talks about players buying in to reach their potential.

I’m not sure I’d write him off yet. I think everyone wants it to work. He seems to have rebooted and is doing his part. The hill is just going to be steep to find playing time.
That’s a positive, I think he’d be a solid player down the road if he’s willing to be patient and put in the work to improve. Just cautious given the outcomes of past players who’ve been in the CRB doghouse. Appreciate the insight for sure.

Izzo didn't want his team embarrassed at home, so he asked the referees to let the clock run.
By the time I got fully stretched, game was over.

VN Store

Back