Do we sign a light class this year?

HoleInTheRoof

Elite ★★★★★ Poster
Just looking at numbers and I wonder if we go light this cycle. Not sign a full 25. (Yes I know the 25 cap doesn’t exist anymore).

We currently have 17 commits. Gass, Shady, Perlotte, and Sanders will put us at 21. Konnanbanny is 22. Throw in another RB (Knight or Morris) and that’ll give us 23.

We only have 15 seniors this year. Assuming none of them return, plus Pearce and Sampson go pro…. That’s roughly only 17 scholarships opening up.

We’re currently at 81… and I think with our restrictions we can’t exceed …. 82(?).

So by my maths we’d have 65 open roster spots after this year. Add 23 incoming freshman and we’d need 5 guys to portal out just to make the numbers work.

Yeah I think probably around that 22-23 for high school as we head into the season. We’ll see what happens this JUCO season as you never know there but if they land those people they really filled the needs they needed to. Will beef up the trenches for a year through the portal

Reactions: HeadVol77
We had 11 guys transfer out this year, so I don't think we have to worry about making the numbers work if we take a full class.

True. But a lot of those portal exits were nudged by the staff. Removing progress stoppers in the secondary and the head case that was Baron.

I naively believe that now that the roster is comprised mostly with this staffs players, we’re not gonna have many portal exits annually. Most of these kids seem really bought in.

Once we hopefully hit 22 here soon it’s safe to say we throw the kitchen sink at a few studs, hopefully try to flip a top100 corner or another d tackle. I know they say we still will try to add the TE, then there’s always a chance someone explodes during their SR year and earn offers out of no where. Want to see our current back commit get more reps this season, and top 1k yards. If he hover around 500 yards again then we definitely need to add another back.

Just looking at numbers and I wonder if we go light this cycle. Not sign a full 25. (Yes I know the 25 cap doesn’t exist anymore).

We currently have 17 commits. Gass, Shady, Perlotte, and Sanders will put us at 21. Konnanbanny is 22. Throw in another RB (Knight or Morris) and that’ll give us 23.

We only have 15 seniors this year. Assuming none of them return, plus Pearce and Sampson go pro…. That’s roughly only 17 scholarships opening up.

We’re currently at 81… and I think with our restrictions we can’t exceed …. 82(?).

So by my maths we’d have 65 open roster spots after this year. Add 23 incoming freshman and we’d need 5 guys to portal out just to make the numbers work.
Tennessee ALWAYS closes strong.

Expect a top 10 class +.

Don’t leave out Lagonza Hayward. I think we end up beating UGA out for him.

You'll see a few guys transfer out once the Fall practice happens and they see where they are on the depth chart.

Potentially dumb question but do kids usually hit the portal in the fall? Can’t imagine there’s many openings that late in the year.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
We still can’t have over 83 total scholarship players
But we are talking about the class of 25. Correct me if I’m wrong but unless they enroll early, it won’t effect our numbers u til next year. As long as guys hit the portal before then it will all work out, and in this day and age guys are always going to hit the portal. We just won a championship in baseball and look how many guys are leaving the team

But we are talking about the class of 25. Correct me if I’m wrong but unless they enroll early, it won’t effect our numbers u til next year. As long as guys hit the portal before then it will all work out, and in this day and age guys are always going to hit the portal. We just won a championship in baseball and look how many guys are leaving the team
I guess it would depend a lot on who all leaves.

a light classIMG_7727.png

We still can’t have over 83 total scholarship players
We’re at 81 this year, so we’re on pace to meet the 10 scholarships in 5 years penalty early.

But I think we may also have to reduce by at least 2 per year. In that case, you’re right…and the penalty will result in more than what was actually prescribed.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back