Do we sign a light class this year?

But it’s best to take two rb’s imo, especially since Sampson will likely declare for the draft after this year
See what we’ve got in Seldon, Lewis, etc. We have a numbers crunch as well. We’ll of course take some guys if they wanted to commit and play here but I doubt we just take a body in this class. Would more likely grab someone in the portal if needed. I think Sims feel pretty good about his room though if everyone can get healthy.

Potentially dumb question but do kids usually hit the portal in the fall? Can’t imagine there’s many openings that late in the year.
Unless the rule has changed, and I don't think it has, the fall portal opens for 30 days in December and closes in January. I can't find the exact dates for this year, but last season, it opened Dec 4 and closed Jan 4. Teams that have late bowl games and head coaching changes get extensions to that. The spring portal opens for 15 more days in April. You don't have to sign with a new team during that time, just enter your name by the deadline. The rules for graduate transfers are different. They have a much longer window. If memory serves me correct, most of our guys transferred out in the fall portal. Baron, I think was already on his second team before the portal even closed, and then transferred again in the spring.

With the recent increase in scholarship players which takes effect next year I believe, can we push back the scholarship losses due to the ncaa punishments and take those losses when there are more scholarships?

So with the new 105 football scholarships will that in effect negate the rest of the scholarship penalties.

With the recent increase in scholarship players which takes effect next year I believe, can we push back the scholarship losses due to the ncaa punishments and take those losses when there are more scholarships?
I cannot believe the NCAA put up such a fight with us, and then tried to go farther. Just to do this? Really is a dog and pony show.

I cannot believe the NCAA put up such a fight with us, and then tried to go farther. Just to do this? Really is a dog and pony show.
Heup has pretty much overcome everything the NCAA has thrown at him. It seems like the only thing left for them to try, now that we are winning some recruiting battles with the biggest names, is to give the big names 20 (!) additional slots to take recruits solely for the purpose of keeping them away from rivals. (To stop that practice was the purpose of the smaller rosters.)

Is the NCAA also working on a scheme to severely limit players' ability to enter the portal? They would need that (as it used to be) to keep the talent their favorites took out of circulation off the market.

They have to move fast because we are about to crash the party at the top.

Last edited:
Just looking at numbers and I wonder if we go light this cycle. Not sign a full 25. (Yes I know the 25 cap doesn’t exist anymore).

We currently have 17 commits. Gass, Shady, Perlotte, and Sanders will put us at 21. Konnanbanny is 22. Throw in another RB (Knight or Morris) and that’ll give us 23.

We only have 15 seniors this year. Assuming none of them return, plus Pearce and Sampson go pro…. That’s roughly only 17 scholarships opening up.

We’re currently at 81… and I think with our restrictions we can’t exceed …. 82(?).

So by my maths we’d have 65 open roster spots after this year. Add 23 incoming freshman and we’d need 5 guys to portal out just to make the numbers work.

You still hold a couple of open spots for possible transfer options.

Are we going to have enough spots to close with Sanders, Perlotte, Morris or Kromah, Konnanbanny, Sparks? That would put us at 25-26.

Are we going to have enough spots to close with Sanders, Perlotte, Morris or Kromah, Konnanbanny, Sparks? That would put us at 25-26.
Sanders, Perlotte, Konanbanny, Morris have spots if they want in. Haven't heard Kromah name mentioned and I think them trying to flip Morris tells you how they feel there. Moved on from Sparks a while ago

Sanders, Perlotte, Konanbanny, Morris have spots if they want in. Haven't heard Kromah name mentioned and I think them trying to flip Morris tells you how they feel there. Moved on from Sparks a while ago
That’s good news. I’m thinking we may have one or two that hit the transfer portal next week after fall camp begins. That could help with numbers too.

Reactions: allvolrecruiting

VN Store

Back