Dobbs to Jennings

Well, it was a walk-off TD to win the natty. That's probably what made it #1.
That does give it top 10 legitimacy but not number 1.. to me a number one play should make you be like wow no context no sound. You just see it and are like wow. The Dobb nail boot was a bigger deal than Bama winning natty number 50... Not a single person on planet Earth was shocked and awwed that happened except maybe the DB that got beat. Had it gone the other way and been a pick 6 number one for sure. I'm not too fond of Bama or UGA but if forced to choose, I take the puppies all day.

That does give it top 10 legitimacy but not number 1.. to me a number one play should make you be like wow no context no sound. You just see it and are like wow. The Dobb nail boot was a bigger deal than Bama winning natty number 50... Not a single person on planet Earth was shocked and awwed that happened except maybe the DB that got beat. Had it gone the other way and been a pick 6 number one for sure. I'm not too fond of Bama or UGA but if forced to choose, I take the puppies all day.
I guess it just depends on how you weight the criteria. As far as sheer "magnitude' a big play that seals a national title is just about as big as it gets. It's literally the culmination of everything that happened that entire season basically brought down to a single point. That's a pretty big deal. Now having said that the play itself really wasn't anything special. If the latter is supposed to matter then yeah...it really shouldn't be #1.

Reactions: pimo1
C'mon now, if that had been us instead of Bama throwing that walk off TD to win the Natty, everyone here would be prepared to burn down the house of anyone who said it shouldn't be #1.

I guess it just depends on how you weight the criteria. As far as sheer "magnitude' a big play that seals a national title is just about as big as it gets. It's literally the culmination of everything that happened that entire season basically brought down to a single point. That's a pretty big deal. Now having said that the play itself really wasn't anything special. If the latter is supposed to matter then yeah...it really shouldn't be #1.
I was being hyperbolic. I am of course Vols biased to some extent.

C'mon now, if that had been us instead of Bama throwing that walk off TD to win the Natty, everyone here would be prepared to burn down the house of anyone who said it shouldn't be #1.
I think this is true for most. For me if it was in the Natty heck yeah but that's bias. Outside of that it was a good play nothing to write home about.

The point I was making in my silliness was that I think when they make GREAT plays the should be great play regardless of context. The Dobb Nail boot play was crazy no matter when it happened in the game to who it was against. It was just wild. Same with JJ trucking vandy and Florida dbs and linebackers and Keytons layout catch. Change the uniforms and players those are epic plays.

The top 10 they put up did weight context heavily and that's their prerogative its their list.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I was being hyperbolic. I am of course Vols biased to some extent.
Our fanbase's willingness to break out the pitchforks at a moments notice is simultaneously one of our greatest strengths and weaknesses and a lot of times I can't help but think how we would react in someone else's shoes.

I think this is true for most. For me if it was in the Natty heck yeah but that's bias. Outside of that it was a good play nothing to write home about.

The point I was making in my silliness was that I think when they make GREAT plays the should be great play regardless of context. The Dobb Nail boot play was crazy no matter when it happened in the game to who it was against. It was just wild. Same with JJ trucking vandy and Florida dbs and linebackers and Keytons layout catch. Change the uniforms and players those are epic plays.

The top 10 they put up did weight context heavily and that's their prerogative its their list.
I think you have to weigh a play's context and meaning into consideration though. After all, there have been Hail Mary's in football history before, they happen ever so often and that's what the Dobb Nail Boot was. It sealed a win over a rival in otherwise largely disappointing season.

I think you have to weigh a play's context and meaning into consideration though. After all, there have been Hail Mary's in football history before, they happen ever so often and that's what the Dobb Nail Boot was. It sealed a win over a rival in otherwise largely disappointing season.
But it was an amazing play that would have made ESPN top plays of the day if it happened in the 1st quarter against UTtrashville Jr College. Just like the nutty 1 handed catches. WR beats coverage and QB throws a bomb to a wide-open guy down the sideline... not so much. That sort of play happens in the course of most games.

Ignore the uniforms and names look at this play

That was insane. Does not matter the score, time of game or who was playing.

I do agree that once you add context it can change the meaning but I just meant as a pure play.

If I am a player, Fan, or whatever watching that Tua TD pass I'm like wow that was nice..and a week later id forget it. They won that's awesome. But it was a blown coverage/corner got burnt. Happens everyday....someone catching a ball with their broken pinky finger while balancing a lit grill on their chin? That's memorable and will never be forgotten because it was so inhuman and silly.

Last edited:
On the Dobbs to Jennings...I recently watched the replay. I'm sure I had the volume down on the original game broadcast and didn't hear Danielson comments before the play. To his credit...He mentioned a couple of times before that play how important it was that our receivers were tall and would have an advantage on that play. HE WAS 100% CORRECT!

On the Dobbs to Jennings...I recently watched the replay. I'm sure I had the volume down on the original game broadcast and didn't hear Danielson comments before the play. To his credit...He mentioned a couple of times before that play how important it was that our receivers were tall and would have an advantage on that play. HE WAS 100% CORRECT!
Only time in his life.

VN Store

Back