Driver Crashes into Crowd at Pride Parade in Florida; 1 Dead

Franklin Pierce

aptopix-pride-parade-crash-rep-debbie-wasserman-schultz-fla-call-truck-drove-crowd-of-people-du-640x427.jpg

Authorities say a driver slammed into spectators at the start of a Pride parade in South Florida, killing one man and injuring another

WILTON MANORS, Fla. (AP) — A driver slammed into spectators Saturday evening at the start of a Pride parade in South Florida, killing one man and seriously injuring another, authorities said

The pickup truck driver acted like he was part of the Wilton Manors Stonewall Pride Parade but then suddenly accelerated when he was told he was next, crashing into the victims, Fort Lauderdale Mayor Dean Trantalis said, according to WSVN-TV. Wilton Manors is just north of Fort Lauderdale.

The driver of the pickup truck was taken into custody. Authorities did not immediately give further details about the victims or say whether they think the crash was intentional. Fort Lauderdale Police Detective Ali Adamson told reporters that authorities are investigating “all possibilities,” with the help of the FBI.

Photos and video from the scene showed Democratic U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz in tears while in a convertible at the parade.

Driver Crashes into Crowd at Pride Parade in Florida; 1 Dead - Breitbart

Last edited:
aptopix-pride-parade-crash-rep-debbie-wasserman-schultz-fla-call-truck-drove-crowd-of-people-du-640x427.jpg

Authorities say a driver slammed into spectators at the start of a Pride parade in South Florida, killing one man and injuring another

WILTON MANORS, Fla. (AP) — A driver slammed into spectators Saturday evening at the start of a Pride parade in South Florida, killing one man and seriously injuring another, authorities said

The pickup truck driver acted like he was part of the Wilton Manors Stonewall Pride Parade but then suddenly accelerated when he was told he was next, crashing into the victims, Fort Lauderdale Mayor Dean Trantalis said, according to WSVN-TV. Wilton Manors is just north of Fort Lauderdale.

The driver of the pickup truck was taken into custody. Authorities did not immediately give further details about the victims or say whether they think the crash was intentional. Fort Lauderdale Police Detective Ali Adamson told reporters that authorities are investigating “all possibilities,” with the help of the FBI.

Photos and video from the scene showed Democratic U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz in tears while in a convertible at the parade.

Driver Crashes into Crowd at Pride Parade in Florida; 1 Dead - Breitbart

That's terrible to hear tonight .... Thoughts & prayers to the family members of the dead person.

Laws have symbolic effect. There have been several instances of attacks with vehicles on protesters/paraders since these laws were passed.

I guess we should just ignore all the instances where “protestors” attacked people in their vehicles. Opened their car doors without consent. Blocked traffic and used fear tactics against innocent drivers.

Yeah let’s just focus on some laws that you think are unfair because R’s came up with them. But you whole heartedly support BLM and their “peaceful” protesting so it’s no surprise.

I guess we should just ignore all the instances where “protestors” attacked people in their vehicles. Opened their car doors without consent. Blocked traffic and used fear tactics against innocent drivers.

Yeah let’s just focus on some laws that you think are unfair because R’s came up with them. But you whole heartedly support BLM and their “peaceful” protesting so it’s no surprise.

Last time I checked there were already laws against attacking people in their vehicles and self-defense laws shielding people who are acting in self-defense. Pray tell, why were those insufficient? Why additional laws specifically addressing this issue. It's little more than a nod and wink to right wing terrorists to run em over.

The Right to Crash Cars Into People

There’s a difference between having your car surrounded by a bunch of thugs which you should have every right to drive out of that situation and targeting a peaceful parade with the intention of killing someone.

And I'm not saying differently. However, I am arguing that laws expressly allowing motorists to mow people over when they feel threatened are contributing to what we're seeing recently with people running into crowds of protesters and marchers. By the way, I'm not specifically limiting this to these laws. I think laws encouraged by the left--like removing bail reform and letting low level crimes go unpunished--also have a symbolic effect (showing people that certain crimes really don't matter), which leads to more severe lawlessness.

Reactions: Wireless1
I'm not advocating radical theories. In fact, the broken windows theory is part and parcel with what I'm saying about these laws. People react to signals in both directions. When the left signals that certain crimes aren't important, more serious crime goes up. When the right signals that the state has your back when you mow people down, don't be surprised if people get mowed down.

Broken windows theory - Wikipedia

Last time I checked there were already laws against attacking people in their vehicles and self-defense laws shielding people who are acting in self-defense. Pray tell, why were those insufficient? Why additional laws specifically addressing this issue. It's little more than a nod and wink to right wing terrorists to run em over.

Yes and I’m sure those laws work out the same for everyone when a judge gets to determine if you feared for your life or nah. Most people attacked in their vehicles aren’t Right wing terrorists, Id be willing to go out on a limb with that one. They are stuck in a bad situation and need to get out.
Do you think the young man that was dragged half a mile by a double truck last year during a protest blocking a highway was just checking to make sure his tail lights worked? Reginald Denny might disagree with you. That “right wing terrorist” forgave his tormentors that ruined his health and damn near killed him, Get a grip.[/QUOTE]

Except even with this law the driver was taken into custody. So.......

Except even with this law the driver was taken into custody. So.......
So anything can happen after that... a prosecutor could say there were innocents in the area that died while you were fleeing for your life and we are charging you with manslaughter.

And I'm not saying differently. However, I am arguing that laws expressly allowing motorists to mow people over when they feel threatened are contributing to what we're seeing recently with people running into crowds of protesters and marchers. By the way, I'm not specifically limiting this to these laws. I think laws encouraged by the left--like removing bail reform and letting low level crimes go unpunished--also have a symbolic effect (showing people that certain crimes really don't matter), which leads to more severe lawlessness.
I seriously doubt this deranged POS was concerned about whether the law was on his side or not when he decided to plow into another human being. If we took mental health in this country as seriously as we did all of the petty political squabbling, we wouldn't even have to worry about things like this happening nearly as much.

2 hit by truck, 1 killed at Pride parade in Wilton Manors

Police took the man who was driving the truck into custody and were questioning him. He was wearing a Fort Lauderdale Gay Men’s Chorus t-shirt.
Justin Knight, the chorus’ president, said through a spokesman that chorus members were the ones injured and that the driver was “part of the Chorus family.”
“Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected by the tragic accident that occurred when the Stonewall Pride Parade was just getting started,” Knight said in a statement. “Our fellow Chorus members were those injured and the driver was also a part of the Chorus family. To my knowledge, this was not an attack on the LGBTQ community. We anticipate more details to follow and ask for the community’s love and support.”
Witnesses said the driver could be heard telling police it was an accident.​

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Laws have symbolic effect. There have been several instances of attacks with vehicles on protesters/paraders since these laws were passed.

You ain't doing so well living in Florida huh? Sounds like you need to move somewhere more progressive friendly.

at this point there is zero, zilch, nada evidence that this person did this because he/she was signaled that it was okay because of the law you cited but it fits your agenda so off you go again.

VN Store

Back