Duck food

peyton4heisman

Senior Lurker New Member
Ive never had the privlilege of eating duck. Jowever, I thought it would be fun to give it a go Saturday in the spirit of, well, Duck consumption I suppose. But to the point:
Does anybody here have experience purchasing, preparing, and/or consuming fowl?
Please let me know what advice you may have for a duck-eating novice.
Where can I buy duck?
Best way to prepare it?
Sides/sauces traditionally eaten with the bird?

Thanks in advance, guys! Can't wait to watch our Vols pluck some ducks in 3 days!?!? GBO, VFL, IGTBATV, TIFWIW, IMO, JMO, LOL, JK, SMH, FML, ILY, OK, OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE

Reactions: 1 person
I doooo...

JuliaChildKnife350x330.jpg

Ive never had the privlilege of eating duck. Jowever, I thought it would be fun to give it a go Saturday in the spirit of, well, Duck consumption I suppose. But to the point:
Does anybody here have experience purchasing, preparing, and/or consuming fowl?
Please let me know what advice you may have for a duck-eating novice.
Where can I buy duck?
Best way to prepare it?
Sides/sauces traditionally eaten with the bird?

Thanks in advance, guys! Can't wait to watch our Vols pluck some ducks in 3 days!?!? GBO, VFL, IGTBATV, TIFWIW, IMO, JMO, LOL, JK, SMH, FML, ILY, OK, OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE
I was served wild duck, and wild turkey at the same party. Turkey was the best wild game I've had while duck was the worst.

I cooked it at a cajun restaurant, its a red meat, we grilled the breast's. If i recall you have to beat your duck (tenderize) and we marinated it in a worstashire(sp), salt, pepper, cajun seasoning, and a little lemon juice. It was pretty good. As cor finding it, check with the specialty food stores. A guy i work with hunts duck and thats where i get it from time to time. GOOD LUCK AND GO BIG ORANGE!

slice the breast into small pieces, soak them in italian dressing overnight. wrap them in bacon put them on a kabob with peppers onions and mushrooms. fire up the grill start drinking

Reactions: 3 people
I was served wild duck, and wild turkey at the same party. Turkey was the best wild game I've had while duck was the worst.

Duck is hard to cook right, and often I have found hunters are not always great cooks...

Properly cooked duck is my favorite bird period......crispy, and with the most delicious fat of any bird I have eaten... People who don't know how to properly cook duck though tend to butcher the process, treat it like chicken, and dry it out. I am no chef myself, so not sure how I would do outside of my smoker, but I eat it every chance i get...... I love really well done Peiking duck the best, but most local Chinese restaurants don't know how to do this and just dry it out. At home it's probably easier to cut it up and braise it in a pan if you have limited equipment.

I may not be a chef but I can smoke BBQ and bird like a pro....particularly like smoked duck too.....Applewood esp. If you have a old school smoker and 5 hours to kill.... probably one of the best ways you can do duck yourself, and get close to resteraunt quality crunchy skin....cut a soda or beer can in half and put apple juice in it and sit in center of duck. duck should be upright to drain not flat, get a small chicken wire thin if you can't figure out the can. However doing the can means it stays moist while smoking drys out the skin... Get applewood...for smoking Duck or Turkey.....no other wood comes close for bird. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Try a Chinese restaurant. Many of them specialize in roast duck.
Some say it goes well with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

I hunt and eat ducks. I either prepare them fried: cut into chunks, soak in salt water to draw the blood out and then in whole milk to tenderize, coat in spicy mustard, flour and deep fry for about 90 seconds;or I make a duck gumbo ( recipe to long to list).

Never, ever attempt to roast or bake. They'll only end up dried out. Good luck.

I hunt and eat ducks. I either prepare them fried: cut into chunks, soak in salt water to draw the blood out and then in whole milk to tenderize, coat in spicy mustard, flour and deep fry for about 90 seconds;or I make a duck gumbo ( recipe to long to list).

Never, ever attempt to roast or bake. They'll only end up dried out. Good luck.

Or stir your hash browns...

It depends on the type of duck

Mallard is really gamey. It has to do with what they eat

Wood Duck and Teal: Some of the best you will put in your mouth

As far as the OP, cut the duck breasts into cubes. Soak them in a little salt water for a couple of hours. This draws out the blood. Take them out and put the nuggets in buttermilk for another few hours

Make a dredge of flour, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme

Take 2 eggs and beat it with regular milk. Dip the nuggets in the milk and egg then in the flour. Fry until Golden brown and delicious

You're welcome

VN Store

Back