Dylan Sampson winning the heisman trophy would be better for us than Nico...

Dobbs 4 Heisman

Obviously I like Nico and would be happy if he won but from a recruiting perspective Sampson winning would be better for us as a program. Everyone already knows our system is QB friendly. We've already landed the top QB recruit in the country for 2 of 4 cycles. We've also been very attractive to 5-star WRs and 5-star TEs. However, we've yet to land a 5-star RB. If Sampson wins the heisman trophy it would prove to RBs across the country that they can prosper in our offense just as much as the QBs and WRs.

Also Nico can win it next year.

Obviously I like Nico and would be happy if he won but from a recruiting perspective Sampson winning would be better for us as a program. Everyone already knows our system is QB friendly. We've already landed the top QB recruit in the country for 2 of 4 cycles. We've also been very attractive to 5-star WRs and 5-star TEs. However, we've yet to land a 5-star RB. If Sampson wins the heisman trophy it would prove to RBs across the country that they can prosper in our offense just as much as the QBs and WRs.

Jesus people! Stop with the heisman crap. Sampson is a great back, but he is 10th in rushing right now. No where near big enough numbers to win. I know you see us through orange glasses, but lets be realistic and logical.

He has been RB1 for 3 games and none against an SEC defense. Just let us enjoy being back in the national conversation....

We don't need a RB to win the Heisman. A RB for anyone hasn't won since 2015. It's a nonsense take. If we think the RB pipeline needs encouragement get guys drafted high for the position consistently. That'll bring the talent.

Reactions: 08Vol
Winning a Heisman trophy would be huge for the program.

If Nico wins, this is gonna be a helluva great year for the Vols!

So that's what I am wishing for.

VOL UNCLE NICO.jpg

Last 2 5 star RBs we had didn't pan out well..one did sort off. Would have set rushing recordif he stayed..5 star rbs are just men playing against developing hs boys..give me a 4 star with attitude and size.

Got a better idea. Both players perform so well, the Heisman folks, for the first time in history, be forced to award both players with the trophy. Double Heis, we'll call it.

Reactions: Dobbs 4 Heisman
Jesus people! Stop with the heisman crap. Sampson is a great back, but he is 10th in rushing right now. No where near big enough numbers to win. I know you see us through orange glasses, but lets be realistic and logical.

He has been RB1 for 3 games and none against an SEC defense. Just let us enjoy being back in the national conversation....
Agree that the Heisman chatter is WAY premature. However the bold portion is not true.

The Heisman is about the most useless award in sports. Completely subjective. Good media campaigns win the Heisman. For that reason, Sampson is very unlikely to win it no matter how good he is. But his numbers so far are plenty good.

Reactions: WillisWG
Agree that the Heisman chatter is WAY premature. However the bold portion is not true.

The Heisman is about the most useless award in sports. Completely subjective. Good media campaigns win the Heisman. For that reason, Sampson is very unlikely to win it no matter how good he is. But his numbers so far are plenty good.

Gotta to have great #'s in order to create a huge media buzz. And being 10th in the country in rushing is not big enough.

Reactions: 08Vol

Your first meeting with D4H?

Your heads in the right place. I think Sampson is talented enough to win a Heisman, problem is he is splitting carries with 2 other RBs, and CJH has shown that's how he likes to do it. Really no question in my mind he would be #1 in rushing if he got 90% of the snaps. The question is does this change if (when) we do land a blue chip RB.

I love Sampson. But let’s be real here. He has zero chance at the Heisman. The last RB to win it was Derrick Henry. He had over 2300 total yards from scrimmage and 28 rushing TDs. He isn’t going to get close to that. The Heisman is a QB award.

QBs are much more important than RBs. You of all people should know that. One of the main reasons Sampson is having the success he is is because of NIco. And no for recruiting, QB is always going to be better. Think about it.

If a RB wins the Heisman, the RB recruiting will improve. And that’s great no doubt. However, typically, when you get elite QBs you get elite OL, WR and TE that begin to look your way.

If we keep winning and he keeps producing he'll have a chance like Mark Ingram in 2009 for Alabama. We have games left on our schedule like Alabama, Georgia, and a potential SEC Championship Game. Those are the sort of games that'll give you a "heisman moment."

I think Dylan Sampson has as good as shot as anybody at winning the heisman this year.

We don't need a RB to win the Heisman. A RB for anyone hasn't won since 2015. It's a nonsense take. If we think the RB pipeline needs encouragement get guys drafted high for the position consistently. That'll bring the talent.

Winning a heisman trophy will help Sampson go higher in the draft.

We could land an Earl Campbell type running back for this offense.

Gotta to have great #'s in order to create a huge media buzz. And being 10th in the country in rushing is not big enough.
Sure it is. Players have won it with less. It isn't a stats based or reality based award. Guys have won it playing weak competition. There just has to be hype. That can come from great stats but more likely comes from good stats and big "moments".

If we keep winning and he keeps producing he'll have a chance like Mark Ingram in 2009 for Alabama. We have games left on our schedule like Alabama, Georgia, and a potential SEC Championship Game. Those are the sort of games that'll give you a "heisman moment."

I think Dylan Sampson has as good as shot as anybody at winning the heisman this year.
Ingram numbers isn’t gonna cut it. Sampson is gonna have to have at least Derrick Henry numbers to win and even then I am not so sure he would win. Sampson doesn’t have as good of a shot as anyone. He is a very long shot to win it.

Ingram numbers isn’t gonna cut it. Sampson is gonna have to have at least Derrick Henry numbers to win and even then I am not so sure he would win. Sampson doesn’t have as good of a shot as anyone. He is a very long shot to win it.

If we're undefeated and the #1 team in the country he'll have as good a chance as anyone to win it assuming he continues his current pace of production. Winning and playing great in big games is what wins you the heisman more than huge stats. The only reason a guy like Jayden Daniels won it last year is because nobody on Alabama or Georgia was producing at a high level. If the best team has a stud balling out that stud will have an edge over guys on lesser teams who are just putting up stats.

Winning a heisman trophy will help Sampson go higher in the draft.
Do you even try to work outside of what sounds good in your head? Last year the only RBs even receiving votes were Ollie Gordon, Cody Schrader & Blake Corum. The best draft position for any of them (Corum) was in the 3rd round at 86th and even that was behind Jonathan Brooks and Trey Benson. The other two weren't even drafted at all.

Look man, no RB has even made the top 5 in voting since 2020 and top 3 since 2017 (Bryce Love) and that guy had 2100y and 19 tds. If you just want to run with the lowest intellectual common denominator take then sure, there's no "downside" to Sampson winning the Heisman and there's not a Vol fan alive that wouldn't love to see it happen. That observation still has jack to do with us having any kind of "need" for a Heisman RB to bring in talent. Actually with the current NIL situation that's an even less compelling argument than it would have been in years past.

Do you even try to work outside of what sounds good in your head? Last year the only RBs even receiving votes were Ollie Gordon, Cody Schrader & Blake Corum. The best draft position for any of them (Corum) was in the 3rd round at 86th and even that was behind Jonathan Brooks and Trey Benson. The other two weren't even drafted at all.

Look man, no RB has even made the top 5 in voting since 2020 and top 3 since 2017 (Bryce Love) and that guy had 2100y and 19 tds. If you just want to run with the lowest intellectual common denominator take then sure, there's no "downside" to Sampson winning the Heisman and there's not a Vol fan alive that wouldn't love to see it happen. That observation still has jack to do with us having any kind of "need" for a Heisman RB to bring in talent. Actually with the current NIL situation that's an even less compelling argument than it would have been in years past.

Ever wonder why I disappeared for years from this forum only to come back recently and start posting regularly? All years ain't the same. Sometimes there's more talented players in a cycle than others. I like to show up around here when the talent is high. Back in 2015-2016 we were loaded with talent hence why I was a regular contributer. Now we have even more talent hence why I'm back.

Comparing Sampson to previous years is dumb cause he's more talented than those guys. Right now in college football as a whole there's significantly more talent in the sport than back in 2020-2023. Dylan Sampson will be a high round pick if he wins the heisman because that sort of platform will give attention to his talent which is that for an elite NFL RB.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back