Elon, don't ask questions! Just write the check!!!

I can't find that listed as the mitigating issue anywhere outside of the fringe partisan rags, and even then it's scant.

The problem appears to be multifaceted:
  1. Americans decided to buy significant amount of stuff during the pandemic, with some industries seeing 74% increases in orders.
  2. Truck drivers are in short supply due to an increase in retirements.
  3. Shippers are slow to pick up their empty containers, causing logjams.
  4. Port logistics are at a loss a to how to balance these three issues, and longshoremen can't just unload stuff without Port Authority direction. They are willing to work around the clock, they just have to be told what to do first.
Sources
Shipping disruption: Why are so many queuing to get to the US?
‘All hands on deck’ at Seattle and Tacoma ports as supply chain bottlenecks persist
I've posted articles directly contradicting #2 as an issue. Yes they are in demand (it's a big part of what my company does) but they are not seeing the demand for their services at the ports. To #4, if they were willing to work around the clock why did it take an offer/threat from DeSantis to take their business to make that happen in the west coast?

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I've posted articles directly contradicting #2 as an issue. Yes they are in demand (it's a big part of what my company does) but they are not seeing the demand for their services at the ports. To #4, if they were willing to work around the clock why did it take an offer/threat from DeSantis to take their business to make that happen in the west coast?
@hog88 has mentioned the rules and regs on truckers inhibiting hiring and preventing overtime (i think). Do you see that as an issue as well?

I hadn't seen the articles you posted when I wrote that, sorry. The Cato article I shared matches up with what you just said.

I'd love to sit in a crane and pull knobs and levers, have nights, weekends, and holidays off, and make it almost $200k a year. Might not be anywhere near as fulfilling as what I do now, but it would be more belly filling.

I hadn't seen the articles you posted when I wrote that, sorry. The Cato article I shared matches up with what you just said.

I'd love to sit in a crane and pull knobs and levers, have nights, weekends, and holidays off, and make it almost $200k a year. Might not be anywhere near as fulfilling as what I do now, but it would be more belly filling.
It's amazing how a guy can get paid like that to do a job slower than anyone else.

I've turned down a job in the past few months that would have been more fulfilling but a decent pay cut. Too old to chase that dream anymore

@hog88 has mentioned the rules and regs on truckers inhibiting hiring and preventing overtime (i think). Do you see that as an issue as well?

Thee hours of service rules are killing driver wages then throw in the medical requirements it’s just not worth it for a lot of people to run OTR. It’s not hard to find a mid $20s an hour job that has a guy home every night.

Thee hours of service rules are killing driver wages then throw in the medical requirements it’s just not worth it for a lot of people to run OTR. It’s not hard to find a mid $20s an hour job that has a guy home every night.

I know about the hour of service limitations, but what are the medical requirements?

I know about the hour of service limitations, but what are the medical requirements?

On my phone so I can’t pull up all the details but they are more stringent than those for airline pilots.

If you have been diagnosed with high blood pressure you can only get a 6 month medical card. Over a certain neck size 17” (I think) you have to have a sleep study and can only get a 1 year card. Those are 2 that show up most often but I’ve got a few guys that can only get 90 day cards for various issues and it’s a major PITA for these guys to get a physical every 3-6 months.

They all have to pass an annual DOT physical, I don't know the specifics, but it should be easy to find. My SIL's father was wounded in Vietnam, and it messed one of his legs up and he has a significant limp. He drove a truck for over 40 years after Vietnam with no problems until he suddenly failed his final physical for his leg issues. Same disability for 40+ years and suddenly he wasn't able to drive anymore because he failed his physical. I don't know if anything changed, but crap like this sure doesn't help any at all.

@hog88 and @VolStrom , thanks for the info. I'll definitely look further into it. I can understand some gatekeeping within reason, but most of it sounds like insurance is trying to vacuum their profits dry combined with administrative overreach.

I can't find that listed as the mitigating issue anywhere outside of the fringe partisan rags, and even then it's scant.

The problem appears to be multifaceted:
  1. Americans decided to buy significant amount of stuff during the pandemic, with some industries seeing 74% increases in orders.
  2. Truck drivers are in short supply due to an increase in retirements.
  3. Shippers are slow to pick up their empty containers, causing logjams.
  4. Port logistics are at a loss a to how to balance these three issues, and longshoremen can't just unload stuff without Port Authority direction. They are willing to work around the clock, they just have to be told what to do first.
Sources
Shipping disruption: Why are so many queuing to get to the US?
‘All hands on deck’ at Seattle and Tacoma ports as supply chain bottlenecks persist

Don't forget maintenance on the trucks. Depending on the repair needed it can take weeks/months to get parts.

Reactions: hog88 and AshG
A lot of people make the mistake of thinking Elon Musk is a liberal.

Nothing could be further from the truth lol

The US aid community is a major reason I am trying hard to get out of all government work. You want to see corruption and evil, look no further.

I'd be very interested in reading about your personal experiences in this area, if you're willing to share (I mean that sincerely -- this is not a challenge or a sarcastic reply).

I'd be very interested in reading about your personal experiences in this area, if you're willing to share (I mean that sincerely -- this is not a challenge or a sarcastic reply).
I'd be happy to share about what I've seen and experienced there and at other federal agencies once I've changed careers.

EDIT: I'm not sure much I have would be earthshattering or groundbreaking but there is a lot of confirmation of the worst things people think of with government. What I can share that's not really surprising or "secret" is that in the AID community the nepotism, conflicts of interest, and general "inbreeding" between government and contractor are so thick it makes the Defense side blush. They get away with it because they're rendering "aid", of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckInAPen

VN Store

Back