Erik Ainge on ESPN

skasper06

Erik Single currently on ESPN talking about mental illness with athletes...in this context it is about Chamique Holdsclaw and her mental depression. Interesting stuff. I hope people don't just think people at UT are messed up. It is obviously a serious condition among all athletes and all sports.

It is a thing called life some can deal with it some cant just the way it is, does not seem fair but thats the way it is.

Reactions: 4 people
It is a thing called life some can deal with it some cant just the way it is, does not seem fair but thats the way it is.

Yeah...but obviously it is harder for some individuals to deal with "life" when they are superstar athletes, young, may not have great coping skills in the first place, and have high demands placed on them.

There's a whole generation that thinks this is how it is, and its completely false. You can be born into the richest family, be drop dead gorgeous and in MENSA and still be depressed or have mental problems. It's as genetic as it is anything else. The only difference between now and 30 years ago is we have evidence to back everything up.

Life is tough, yes, but just like with concussions we are learning that the old thought process of "rub some dirt on it" or "Be tough and keep going anyway" is not the way to succeed with it. If you have a problem, get help. If you don't understand the science or the studies behind it, don't comment on it, because there are a whole lot of adults from the baby boomer generation and before that have no clue what they are talking about when they say our youth is getting weaker. Our knowledge is just increasing on the subjects they knew nothing about.

Reactions: 31 people
There's a whole generation that thinks this is how it is, and its completely false. You can be born into the richest family, be drop dead gorgeous and in MENSA and still be depressed or have mental problems. It's as genetic as it is anything else. The only difference between now and 30 years ago is we have evidence to back everything up.

Life is tough, yes, but just like with concussions we are learning that the old thought process of "rub some dirt on it" or "Be tough and keep going anyway" is not the way to succeed with it. If you have a problem, get help. If you don't understand the science or the studies behind it, don't comment on it, because there are a whole lot of adults from the baby boomer generation and before that have no clue what they are talking about when they say our youth is getting weaker. Our knowledge is just increasing on the subjects they knew nothing about.

This x1000

Reactions: 3 people

What you said!

Excellent post

Reactions: 2 people

Boom? Haha Great post
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm bipolar...I have a Nurse Practioner for a mother and an Anesthesiologist for a father. I am a college graduate. Didn't come from a broken home. Moved to Los Angeles and became a Sales Manager at one of the top GM dealerships in the country. I road a high for 11 years until the economy tanked and then GM dropped our brand and I lost my job....everyone that knew me thought I had it under control with medication. Until I put a chair through my General Managers glass window...nearly went to jail...became completely suicidal...put myself into a hospital...lived off my savings for 2 years...nearly destroyed my marriage...crushed my parents and made friends/former coworkers scared of me.

It is a disease....it is never going to leave me....watching "Silver Lining Playbook" is like looking in a mirror....nothing worse than trying to argue with yourself that everything is going to be fine and what is going on currently isn't worth killing yourself...when someone gets ill with you not going off on them...I hope you got the point terryp.

Reactions: 15 people
Eric can actually talk on this subject with some credibility...in terms of not everyone being perfect....like things happen or coping mechanisms. No disrespect at all....but he has insight.

WALK IT OFF SISSY!!!!

J/K great post!!! :p

And now ladies and gentlemen....Mr Conway Twitty
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 3 people

This.

I get each generation learns something new, but some of the attitudes and "knowledge" of older generations towards things like this can be quite embarrassing. Not so much for thinking that way in the past, but those that continue to proclaim the "get over it" type thinking even after we've learned how complex these situations are.

yeah...great hair lol.

Conway+Twitty+CTweet.jpg

Conway+Twitty+conwaytwitty.jpg

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/24735673/Conway+Twitty.jpg

Conway+Twitty+conwaytwitty1_v_e.jpg

Conway+Twitty.jpg

I mean come on! Is it even close? :eek:lol:

Reactions: 1 person

Money doesn't buy happiness, true.

But it's better to be depressed in a Ferrari than on a bicycle.

VN Store

Back