ESPN Cut 300 Jobs

ESPN is bleeding money because they no longer care about sports, they only care about making a Hollywood drama about things that don't take place within the sports arena.

The writing was on the wall well before the Simmons debacle. They lost an alarming large number of their premiere and up and coming reporters, none of which spoke highly of the company upon leaving, but also didnt' go out like Simmons either to other networks, sometimes much, much smaller networks. Simmons was just arrogant and brash enough to light the fuse.

I would say none of those issues are that impactful in terms of their bottom line. Like OP states, they highly overpaid for television rights and then streaming started cutting into their profits (like every other TV network).

I would say none of those issues are that impactful in terms of their bottom line. Like OP states, they highly overpaid for television rights and then streaming started cutting into their profits (like every other TV network).

You can say it, you can say anything you want. Doesn't make it less true. NBC, Fox, CBS, etc seem to be rolling along just fine with crazy, over the top television right deals.

The college football playoff drew a record rating for ESPN. Sportscenter meanwhile, has spent the last few years plummeting. Airing of games isn't what is givng ESPN trouble. But, you can say it is.

You can say it, you can say anything you want. Doesn't make it less true. NBC, Fox, CBS, etc seem to be rolling along just fine with crazy, over the top television right deals.

You can't compare NBC, Fox, and CBS to ESPN. ESPN is a cable channel and every home gets NBC, Fox, and CBS. It's a whole different ballgame.

The college football playoff drew a record rating for ESPN. Sportscenter meanwhile, has spent the last few years plummeting. Airing of games isn't what is givng ESPN trouble. But, you can say it is.

I didn't say "airing of games" is the trouble, whatever that means.

It's too bad they don't have a CFB playoff game on every night. I wonder if they could arrange that.

You can't compare NBC, Fox, and CBS to ESPN. ESPN is a cable channel and every home gets NBC, Fox, and CBS. It's a whole different ballgame.

I most certainly can. They are a branch of ABC, which is a branch of Disney. And I'm simply talking about the airing of sports. But keep rambling. It's fun to watch. You seem like a solid poster usually, but you have these moments where you just think you're light years above all posters on subjects, when in reality, you're just sitting there playing with Google. This is one of those times.

I most certainly can. They are a branch of ABC, which is a branch of Disney. And I'm simply talking about the airing of sports. But keep rambling. It's fun to watch.

You're incoherent.

Why does it matter who the parent company is? I think I will enjoy this explanation.

Reactions: 1 person
You seem like a solid poster usually, but you have these moments where you just think you're light years above all posters on subjects, when in reality, you're just sitting there playing with Google. This is one of those times.

This just got really weird and personal. You started being a dick first and now you are saying I think I am better than others.

Take a little disagreement without getting butthurt. It's not that big of a deal.

I didn't say "airing of games" is the trouble, whatever that means.

It's too bad they don't have a CFB playoff game on every night. I wonder if they could arrange that.

Case in point, Google didn't spell it out for you, so you're lost. Winning television rights means they get to air games. Sorry you were lost there. Actually, I'm not. So, them paying what seems like outrageous fees for television rights (aka, airing of games) seems like a big deal, until you see how much they make in ad revenue from actually airing games. Their documentaries, endless Sportscenters that don't focus on sports reporting and other mindless drama intstead of sports, are drawing garbage ratings and therefore destroying ad revenue.

This just got really weird and personal. You started being a dick first and now you are saying I think I am better than others.

Take a little disagreement without getting butthurt. It's not that big of a deal.

Just calling a spade a spade.

Lots of words there and you didn't answer the one question I asked. Not surprised.

Why does it matter who the parent company is?

And not sure what Google has to do with anything. I missed that one. Speaking of rambling.

ESPN needs to retire Lee Corso like they did Lou Holtz. Lee just hasn't been the same since the stroke he had

Ok my bad. But seriously, if that one word confused you, you have no right posting. It's not that hard to realize I meant post.

Ironic that you are so antagonistic after judging me to be arrogant.

Maybe you can take the post that you think answers my question about ABC and ESPN's relationship and you can highlight the part that you are talking about. No need to explain anything or "decipher" it for me. Just please bold it. Easy enough, right?

You won't because the information is not there. It's parlor tricks because you don't have a good answer and you are too childish to own it.

Have a good one, man.

I most certainly can. They are a branch of ABC, which is a branch of Disney. And I'm simply talking about the airing of sports.

There ya go buddy. Sorry you need so much help.

For the record, since according to you, I can't compare ESPN to it, I just want to point out that ESPN is available to 81% of households with a TV

81% is not 100%. Not sure if you read the article, but they claimed they overbid for MNF by $500M. Outbidding the NBCs of the world who reach 100% of homes. That was their big error.

You didn't highlight the part that explains why it matters who ESPN's parent company is.

81% is not 100%. Not sure if you read the article, but they claimed they overbid for MNF by $500M. Outbidding the NBCs of the world who reach 100% of homes. That was their big error.

You didn't highlight the part that explains why it matters who ESPN's parent company is.

You're lost. And ridiculous. I'm done here. Continue posting your ramblings to make you feel better about yourself.

You're lost. And ridiculous. I'm done here. Continue posting your ramblings to make you feel better about yourself.

It's always funny watching the one who began the pissing match walk off like the other one is the problem. You starting being a jackass for no reason.

It's always funny watching the one who began the pissing match walk off like the other one is the problem. You starting being a jackass for no reason.

Somehow you and I managed to disagree ITT without either of us taking it personally.

always getting your retorts in, even when they aren't required. Brilliant.

Last edited:
ESPN needs to retire Lee Corso like they did Lou Holtz. Lee just hasn't been the same since the stroke he had

At least Corso brought something to the table once upon a time. I've never cared for him, but his mascot pick is now as big a part of Gameday as everything else on the show combined.

(I will edit that I haven't watched in three years, so it might have gone away, I don't know.)

However, the fact remains no matter what the article or ESPN tries to claim. They are losing viewership because ESPN no longer cares about being sports programming. They want drama, even if they have to make up 98% of it.

They get their ad revenue back and more from their fees they pay to broadcast sporting events, they just aren't making any money shelling out drummed up drama stories about players/coaches/significant others lives off the field of play.

VN Store

Back