ESPN: Ranking the SEC safeties

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
1. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Jr., Alabama:

2. Craig Loston, Sr., LSU:

3. Kenny Ladler, Sr., Vanderbilt:

4. Nickoe Whitley, Sr., Mississippi State:

5. Byron Moore, Sr., Tennessee: His team-high five interceptions were probably overlooked because of how poorly Tennessee's defense played, but Moore was a heck of a player. Moore, who was second on the team with 86 tackles last year, is extremely versatile as well. He started the first three games of the season at strong safety before moving over to free safety after Brian Randolph got hurt. He started the final nine games there.

6. Jaylen Watkins, Sr., Florida:

7. Demetruce McNeal, Sr., Auburn:

8. Trae Elston, So., Ole Miss:

9. T.J. Gurley, So., South Carolina:

10. Tray Matthews, Fr., Georgia:

Ranking the SEC safeties - SEC Blog - ESPN

Reactions: 1 person
Let's hope Byron doesnt have 86 tackles this year. If the D Line does their job, he should be able to increase his INTs and help keep opponents out of our end zone.

ESPN still hates us....i do enjoy the positive pub for once....

Knock some helmets off this year Byron......:banghead2:

Why is UF converting CB's to S? Did all those 4/5* prospects wash out?

FWIW, UT should have a good set of safeties with McNeil, Randolph, and Moore. Cornerback is troubling though.

And seriously the Bama players name... sounds like something Dee Dee Myers would say.

Care to explain any difficulties you have with the write-up?

A safety's primary job is to keep a 15 yard play from becoming an 80 yard play.

He's the last man back.

A Tennessee safety making an open field tackle hasn't happened since berry left.

Thus, the festival of big plays

99 is always hating.....always. Never seen a post where you weren't. You could also say Jaylen Watkins should be about number 10. What's he ever done?

He's the last man back.

A Tennessee safety making an open field tackle hasn't happened since berry left.

Not true... but by all means continue being a jerk.

Why is UF converting CB's to S? Did all those 4/5* prospects wash out?

FWIW, UT should have a good set of safeties with McNeil, Randolph, and Moore. Cornerback is troubling though.

Elam declared early, Josh Evans was a senior and Pop Saunders got the boot...ditto for Jonathan Dowling.

Watkins had some starts at corner but mainly played in nickel situations. UF is loaded at corner, hence the move from CB to S.

If Marcell Harris is as good as advertised, he'll play immediately opposite Watkins.

What that list tells me is, it's a lean year for safties in the SEC.

He's the last man back.

This all completely depends on the play that the DC calls up. With SEC offenses as fast as they are... no Safety has the catch-up speed to compensate for a horrible call.

Take a unit with no confidence in itself and the coaching staff and you have the 2012 UT defense.

Oh, fwiw, UT was 3rd in the SEC in '11 for allowing the LEAST number of plays over 10 yards... just ahead of UF. They were tied with UF for plays over 20 yards... and allowed only two more than UF over 30 yards.

Both of those D's were young and had some talent. Both were well coached. UT allowed 22.6 ppg. UF allowed 20.6 ppg. UT played better O's that year so it is pretty much a wash.

Then Sal happened. Sometimes Sal happens. It just stinks when you happen to be the one that steps in the Sal.

The D's went in two different directions. UF stuck with the same 4-3 and got much better. UT... they stepped in Sal.

Reactions: 2 people
Elam declared early, Josh Evans was a senior and Pop Saunders got the boot...ditto for Jonathan Dowling.

Watkins had some starts at corner but mainly played in nickel situations. UF is loaded at corner, hence the move from CB to S.

If Marcell Harris is as good as advertised, he'll play immediately opposite Watkins.

What that list tells me is, it's a lean year for safties in the SEC.

Don't understand the last part.
There's some very good safeties on that list.

Last edited:
Not true... but by all means continue being a jerk.

What part isnt true?

How many 50+ yard plays have they given up to how many teams?

Are you really trying to tell me tackling on the back end hasnt been a huge problem?

Last edited:
Don't understand the last part.
There's some very good safeties on that last.

True, but when you have to include two kids who've yet to pay a down at safety on a Top 10 list, I question the depth of talent...or the credibility of the author...no Randolph? :blink:

Last edited:
I guess the tackling on the back end has been good.

I need my eyes checked.

Carry on

True, but when you have to include two kids who've yet to pay a down at safety on a Top 10 list, I question the depth of talent...or the credibility of the autor...no Randolph? :blink:

Yeah, the Georgia frosh being on the list over Randolph is a farce.

He's the last man back.

I guess you didn't read the part of the write up that said he had the second most tackles on the team....which puts him second in tackles to the man who lead the SEC in tackles last year. If your gonna say something, at least be accurate especially if the information is right there in front of you.

(Insert Florida joke about drug dealers, thugs, and murderers.)

VN Store

Back