Exceeding expectations

It's hard, soooo hard, I'm crying, hard, not so much now.

Over it. :p

Braniac is brain dead, that's why he has bandages on his head.

Just kidding. I was a long time comic book fanboy myself. Semi-liked the Legion Super Heroes, as most in my generation, loved Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Flash. Then by chance got my hands on the first Might Thor comic. Then Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four first issues. Became a Make Mine Marvel fanboy thereafter. Though not a rabid buyer or that media anymore, I'd not disrespect someone who remains an "active" fan. You can actually learn something from them. Contemporary social issues, history, science etc. from the best writers who take time to make integrating of these concepts into their stories factually accurate. Now if they would just make a comic about the Tennessee Volunteers football team, I just might start buying again.

Put a poster from this thread on my ignore list. Instant improvement in thread quality.

Just kidding. I was a long time comic book fanboy myself. Semi-liked the Legion Super Heroes, as most in my generation, loved Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Flash. Then by chance got my hands on the first Might Thor comic. Then Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four first issues. Became a Make Mine Marvel fanboy thereafter. Though not a rabid buyer or that media anymore, I'd not disrespect someone who remains an "active" fan. You can actually learn something from them. Contemporary social issues, history, science etc. from the best writers who take time to make integrating of these concepts into their stories factually accurate. Now if they would just make a comic about the Tennessee Volunteers football team, I just might start buying again.
I know folks who collecting and selling have made six and seven figures from those "silly" comic books.

You're absolutely correct abut the lessons taught to generations of kids - and adults - who have sat hours with Marvel, etc.

The same can be said about the Harry Potter Septology. You can always tell the ones who denigrate so-called 'fantasy', (fantasy, fiction or both?) they are the clumplumpers who never read them.

Reactions: 1 person
So far for most here CBJ has exceeded expectations on the recruiting front....greatly.

I'd just like for everyone to take a moment and ponder...what if CBJ does the same on the field this year?

I might be caught up in the moment but right now I'm pretty fired up.

Some one I used to know always said "if, ifs and buts were candies and nuts - we'd all have a merry christmas"

As much as I WANT to win it all every year you have to temper the expectation based on what we know now.

1. All of our offensive production is gone. No one can argue that - hunter, cp, bray and rogers are not coming back. Things may be better than it seems but we won't know until the fall - and my guess is that those early games against the ducks and gators could be a little more than messy based on this alone. We all know that UF is going to have a solid D.

2. What kind of defense will we end up with? Can't be any worse that last year but I certainly wouldn't anticipate a title run based off of the last couple of seasons.

I would like to say that I am 200% full butch, in fact I may need to see a doctor about it. However, the momentum he has in recruiting now won't really impact us for 2-3 years; so I guess we should focus on the here and now - not what is going to happen in 2014 and beyond.

:peace2:

Some one I used to know always said "if, ifs and buts were candies and nuts - we'd all have a merry christmas"

As much as I WANT to win it all every year you have to temper the expectation based on what we know now.

1. All of our offensive production is gone. No one can argue that - hunter, cp, bray and rogers are not coming back. Things may be better than it seems but we won't know until the fall - and my guess is that those early games against the ducks and gators could be a little more than messy based on this alone. We all know that UF is going to have a solid D.

2. What kind of defense will we end up with? Can't be any worse that last year but I certainly wouldn't anticipate a title run based off of the last couple of seasons.

I would like to say that I am 200% full butch, in fact I may need to see a doctor about it. However, the momentum he has in recruiting now won't really impact us for 2-3 years; so I guess we should focus on the here and now - not what is going to happen in 2014 and beyond.

:peace2:

Good post.

Cant fully agree with #1 tho. All of our offensive prodction didn't leave...we have our top two rushers returning plus the line that blocked for em.

I'm full Butch too. What I was focusing on is that he has exceeded our expectations on the recruiting front...can he do the same on the field?

Good post.

Cant fully agree with #1 tho. All of our offensive prodction didn't leave...we have our top two rushers returning plus the line that blocked for em.

I'm full Butch too. What I was focusing on is that he has exceeded our expectations on the recruiting front...can he do the same on the field?

We do have those back - let me put it this way - how many games did those 2 backs out perform the others.

honestly they did their job - just enough ground game to keep the defense somewhat honest. nothing game breaking about any of the RB's, our line was and is still BAD A$$...

I am right with you, I think we have a great x/o's coach and he appears to be a great game day coach (from what little I have seen). I have also noticed that he tends to get the most from his players - which can help us A LOT.

all that said - his success in recruiting doesn't change my expectation THIS year - I firmly believe we will be at worst 6-6 and at best 8-4 in the regular season.

now in 2014/15 it will change

So far for most here CBJ has exceeded expectations on the recruiting front....greatly.

I'd just like for everyone to take a moment and ponder...what if CBJ does the same on the field this year?

Ain`t gonna happen...We would need to win 13 games too exceed expectations on this site!

To me, all signs point to us leaning heavily on the run this year, i.e. developing the passing game throughout the season. We SHOULD have a solid offensive line who can blow open some holes between the tackles. Hill is a power runner. If we can finally keep Neal from always, always bouncing outside, we should have some success running up the gut.

Passing game will probably lean heavily on the slot...and to Neal. Pig and Devrin are short threats and I just don't see any deep threats right now for Sept.-Oct. games...or anyone who might be a threat even on a hitch or a curl. The wides will take a few games to emerge as solid SEC receivers and should come on in November.

My guess is that we run the ball way more often than pass through the first five or six games, esp. if Hill stays health, simply because of the strength of our offensive line and the comparative weakness of our wides.

What say ye?

Depends on your expectations. If you want to be a perennial "also ran" like UT had become at the end of Fulmer's run then you will have a certain level of expectation... like we've argued in the "6 win" thread. If you want to see championships then you "expect" coaching to make enough of a difference that UT beats some teams they're not supposed to beat.

Fortunately, that is not a vain hope since Jones history is doing just that.

Good post.

I got a feeling we will get 1 or maybe even 2 wins we weren't expected to get this year. I truly believe a 8-4 record is possible with this staff. Not predicting that but it wouldn't shock me if it happend.

this recruiting surge won't mean a thing without a winning season and a bowl win and at least one massive upset over bama, fla or georgia. No if and or buts about it.

I got a feeling we will get 1 or maybe even 2 wins we weren't expected to get this year. I truly believe a 8-4 record is possible with this staff. Not predicting that but it wouldn't shock me if it happend.

guess this depends on what one sets as "expected" to win. Looking at the schedule, I think there are only 4 games we are expected to win, Peay, WKU, S Alabama and Kentucky.

All others are up for grabs OR we are certainly not expected to win. I hope we don't have toss games in the expected to win column..

getting to 6 wins would mean winning some we are not expected too.

VN Store

Back