Expected Future Vol SEC schedule if 7-1 format adopted.

I agree with this. Tennessee should play Georgia, Kentucky and Alabama every year. Florida would be the next one to play every year. And never have to play Vanderbilt again. And while I'm on my soapbox, I would kick out Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas from the SEC. If you want to add teams. Add Clemson, Georgia Tech, and maybe Florida State and North Carolina

The buyout for any ACC team is $50 million.

Yikes.

Championship games are needed to decide who the champion is. Now if being the SEC champion is no longer a goal, fine - but you will not be able to crown a SEC champion without it. You could end up like the PAC and Big 12 have in years where you have two 1 loss teams that never played each other in the regular season.
That's what tiebreakers are for. Head-to-head, common opponents, etc.

Adding a game to the seasons of two teams likely to be in the playoff anyway just reeks as a cash grab and nothing more. Which is precisely why it will never go away. Much like the government, once a revenue source is established, it never goes away but is only expanded if anything.

Reactions: Voltopia
I don't disagree, but the sad truth is that people will continue to tune in and spend money in greater numbers. The NCAA and every pro league knows this and continues to bank on it.

Gambling is the thing that has changed everything and has allowed the sports leagues to abandon any pretense of "tradition" in selling their souls to media companies that are starved for content because people just can't get enough. The old school fan like many of us are barely even taken for granted any more - it is the new fan, generally younger and with disposable income to spend and an insatiable appetite for entertainment, that is the target audience now.

These "fans" are generally not loyal to a team or school, but to their fantasy teams and certain players. Why do you think the heavy emphasis on gambling is there, not just all week and pre-game in the media, but throughout games with a running ticker at the bottom of the TV screen? Ticket sales are a big revenue source, but that pales next to the media rights money, which includes gambling revenue, as the networks all have their own sports books at this point.

There will probably always be saps like us who will pay stupid prices to fill stadiums and buy merchandise, but the decision makers in the sports industry are thinking long term, and that is taking into account the "dinosaur" older fans falling away, which will result more and more in these changes we will continue to see.
Sadly, you’re not wrong.

Reactions: Voltopia and sami
I agree with this. Tennessee should play Georgia, Kentucky and Alabama every year. Florida would be the next one to play every year. And never have to play Vanderbilt again. And while I'm on my soapbox, I would kick out Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas from the SEC. If you want to add teams. Add Clemson, Georgia Tech, and maybe Florida State and North Carolina
Why Georgia? They would be 4th on my Tennessee rivalry list, and probably not that high if they weren’t so good lately. I liked the old rivalry with Auburn better than Georgia or Florida.

Reactions: sami
Sadly, you’re not wrong.

Very sadly. The legalization of sports gambling was the beginning of the end of college and pro sports as we knew them. They desperately needed a revenue source to replace the 'old school' fans who were no longer providing sufficient revenue to feed the insatiable beast, and this was essentially letting the genie out of the bottle.

To ease the Traditionlists, keep in mind that Florida and Georgia were not really even consider rivals of Tennessee until 1992. Sure we would lose some rivals like we did in the past with Auburn and Ole Miss but we would gain new ones.

Honestly, as a Tennessee fan, I am ready for the change. Most of these rivalries with Alabama, Florida, and Georgia have just been miserable the past 20 or so years. I hate losing Kentucky though 😄
I agree with this 100 percent.

The only rivalry I've ever cared about is Alabama. You can't consider Vandy a 'rivalry', as they barely belong in the conference any more, at least with regard to football. Georgia was never a rivalry, really, and Florida was essentially about the Spurrier-Fulmer years - since then it has kind of lessened, and only exists to some because of this perceived 'jinx' some fans think is there.

I'd be happy with the 3-6-6 formula and Bama, Vandy, and UK as permanent rivals. And another SEC game would be better than another cupcake. Instead of running away from tough games and rivalries, let's welcome them. It is what has always made the sport great, not yet another game against Tennessee-Martin.
Not much of a rivalry. 1 win in the last 17 years

Why? UK vs UT has been a thing much longer than USCjr.
Somebody has to play SCAR and they view Tennessee as a major rival if not their biggest conference rival. That's was the reasoning behind Rattler's "super bowl" comment.

Aside from football, they can be competitive. But football is a lost cause there as long as they stay, but the checks cash the same as anywhere else.

They are NOT very competitive in Basketball and haven't been for some time.

The math doesn't add up. This would require adding a 17th team to the conference. A 9 game SEC schedule would require a 6/3 setup.
Correct...it was early and the math escapes me early.

We would either need one more member, drop a member, or go to the 6-3 model others have stated.

Not much of a rivalry. 1 win in the last 17 years

The decade and a half before Heupel was a black hole in every way. Maybe you don't go a lot further back than that, but those of us that do understand the depth of this rivalry. That bad streak is just more reason to want to play them every damn year, and Saban isn't desperately looking to dodge this rivalry for nothing.

Reactions: hog88
The decade and a half before Heupel was a black hole in every way. Maybe you don't go a lot further back than that, but those of us that do understand the depth of this rivalry. That bad streak is just more reason to want to play them every damn year, and Saban isn't desperately looking to dodge this rivalry for nothing.
I go back to 1969 following the Vols

Saban learned that his 3 permanent opponents would be Aub, LSU, and Vols.
he had a shoo shoo fit with Sankey, so the conference office caved and moved to the 1-7 format.
He's 40-9 against those 3 since 2008. Why would he not want them? Especially us. We've basically been a guaranteed win. Doubt he seriously wants to get rid of auburn. Lsu I could actually see.

Gambling is the thing that has changed everything and has allowed the sports leagues to abandon any pretense of "tradition" in selling their souls to media companies that are starved for content because people just can't get enough. The old school fan like many of us are barely even taken for granted any more - it is the new fan, generally younger and with disposable income to spend and an insatiable appetite for entertainment, that is the target audience now.

I'm still aghast that shows like Gameday display betting lines and discuss point spreads for college teams. Gambling is an exploitive and incredibly nasty business, and the idea that it was okay to openly associate it with college athletics was simply mind blowing for me. I couldn't believe it. I still can't believe. I don't understand why people tolerate it. I know people gamble, I'm not saying gambling should be illegal or anything, but the idea of the flagship college sports program endorsing or promoting gambling on games was a real eye opener. One minute they're covering a sob story about someone with a serious medical condition working to further their dream of completing college, the next they've got some bald dude in a chair gushing about who'll cover the spread. The optics seem horrific to me. And even setting aside the question of propriety, gambling is what drives things like point shaving and other unlawful behavior. It undermines the integrity of sports. I can't even.

Last edited:
I wish Sankey would pull his head out and go to a 9 game schedule...conference is strong enough that the marquee OOC match ups wouldn't be that great.

That would allow everyone the 7 game flop like you have and 2 permanent rivals to keep those historic games like the cocktail party, third Saturday in October, etc.
He doesn’t seem to have the same balls that Roy Kramer did (ie, telling all 12 schools’ coaches and ADs “stop with it, we’re doing this”).

Reactions: IndianaVol
He's 40-9 against those 3 since 2008. Why would he not want them? Especially us. We've basically been a guaranteed win. Doubt he seriously wants to get rid of auburn. Lsu I could actually see.
Because of these Three names. Heupel, Kelly, and Freeze.
I think he sees an upgrade in coaching at all three places.
Saban wants to keep Auburn only.
If he has to add a second team, he wants MSU because he says they are a more important rivalry than Vols or LSU because of their close proximity to Starkville. Yeah, ok, Nick, sure.

Last edited:
How is that fair if someones permanent is SC and someone else’s is Bama?
Because it's only 1 game.

If it's a 6-2 or 5-3 then there's a real possibility that a school would be assigned 2 or 3 bad teams. There will need to be at least 1 permanent opponent to sustain some history.

Because it's only 1 game.

If it's a 6-2 or 5-3 then there's a real possibility that a school would be assigned 2 or 3 bad teams. There will need to be at least 1 permanent opponent to sustain some history.

Still don’t think that’s the way to go but do see your point.

VN Store

Back