Favorite Bowl Game

QBvol7

I know the Fiesta Bowl for the 98 season is an obvious pick, but other than that, what was your favorite bowl game you either went to or watched?

The 1st one that comes to mind is from the 1992 season. The Hall of Fame Bowl in Tampa, FL. The reason why this one sticks out to me is because it was the beginning of a new era. The word interim was removed before our coaches name and his first play has a head coach he went deep for a 42 yard pass to Ronald Davis that got us to the 1 yard line. SHuler then punched it in from 1 yard out. There was another run Shuler made late in the game where he broke like 4 or 5 tackles for a TD run. Thats where it started. The beginning of a new era for UT Football. The beginning of Heath SHuler's Heisman run. The beginning of what we are doing today. The Foundation being laid for Tennessee "Fulmer" Football.

the only bowl game i ever went to was the 02 peach bowl against maryland and we all know how that went. so i'd prolly have to say 2001 citrus bowl. to run over the wolverines like that was pretty unexpexted.

Living in Big Ten country any bowl that we wax a big ten powerhouse, is my favorite. It shuts these people up here up for a little while. At least till baskeyball starts. (come on Bruce dont let me down). :lolup:

Originally posted by duckman398686@Jul 7, 2005 9:09 AM
the only bowl game i ever went to was the 02 peach bowl against maryland and we all know how that went. so i'd prolly have to say 2001 citrus bowl. to run over the wolverines like that was pretty unexpexted.
[snapback]110899[/snapback]​

basketball even

Originally posted by cookeville_vol@Jul 7, 2005 9:33 AM
I really enjoyed watchin Vince Young roll over Michigan in the Rose Bowl. I love close games.
[snapback]110905[/snapback]​

Lets stick with UT Bowl games.

Oh, i thouight it was any game.

Well in that case I'll also have to go with the 2001 citrus bowl. I hate Michigan.

Sugar Bowl 1986 against Miami - Hands down favorite.

No one was giving us a chance, we made a strong run to the SEC championship aided by a win over Bama and their decision to settle for a tie against (LSU?). Perkins indicated that he didn't thing we would win out the rest of our games.

All the hype was with Miami - Testeverde and Michael Irvin.

The game started bad with a fake punt and score for Miami - It was their last score.

We crushed them and there was much rejoicing

1986 Sugar Bowl - We walked into the Superdome with a backup QB and beat the absolute hell out of Miami 35-7. It was without a doubt the most dominating performance I can ever remember us having against a top 5 opponent.

I was only 13, but I can remember the sinking feeling I had when Testaverde through a TD pass to Michael Irvin on the opening drive. Little did I know that we were about to reel off 35 unanswered. :pepper:

I would have to say the citrus vs Michigan. I got to spend 7 days in Orlando which was alot of fun and coming out of a sea world show I ran into a Michigan fan all decked out in his blue gear(as I was in Orange) and he flips on a lil key chain he has and holds it up in the air as it plays the Michigan fight song. He looked to me and said get use to it bud, you'll be hearing it every time we score. Best part about it was at halftime as I went to partake in an italian sausage sandwich on the bowl game concourse there....guess who happen to be in line just ahead of me with his head down? Talk about a sad looking fella who wanted NO part of any conversation......I walked by...paused a minute and couldn't resist. I asked......."When are they going to play that catchy tune man?" :dlol: I then just walked off and screamed "GOOD OLE' ROCKY TOP BABY!" :D

5. 2005 Cotton Bowl - all my in-laws are Aggies and living in Austin all i hear is Big12 this Big12 that.. WHOOOOP!! ...that azz.

4. 2001 Citrus Bowl - nothing more than a beat down which no one outside of Tennessee saw coming.

3. 1996 Citrus Bowl - Both UT and OSU were tied at #3 going into this game. Bill Duff's goal line stand with the UT D against Eddie George.

2. 1996 Sugar Bowl - overrated miami and jimmy johnson go down!! nothing better.

1. 1999 Fiesta Bowl - nuff said

All I'm really familiar with is the '05 Cotton Bowl. So I'll go with that. Although I think blowouts are boring.

I've got 2 more . . .

90 Cotton Bowl - Chuck Webb ran for like 250+ and Carl Pickens was the DEFENSIVE MVP.

91 Sugar Bowl - Down 16-0 at the half and we stormed back for a 23-22 win.

Originally posted by GAVol@Jul 7, 2005 12:36 PM
I've got 2 more . . .

90 Cotton Bowl - Chuck Webb ran for like 250+ and Carl Pickens was the DEFENSIVE MVP.

91 Sugar Bowl - Down 16-0 at the half and we stormed back for a 23-22 win.
[snapback]110955[/snapback]​

Greg Amsler was HUGE in 91 comeback. Tony Thompson wasn't bad either.

Originally posted by volinbham@Jul 7, 2005 1:45 PM
Greg Amsler was HUGE in 91 comeback.  Tony Thompson wasn't bad either.
[snapback]110956[/snapback]​

The two things I remember about the 91 Sugar Bowl are that it seemed like Andy Kelly didn't miss a single throw in the 4th quarter and seeing Amsler catch that swing pass and actually hurdle a guy.

Originally posted by VOL_AHOLIC@Jul 7, 2005 11:20 AM
5. 2005 Cotton Bowl - all my in-laws are Aggies and living in Austin all i hear is Big12 this Big12 that.. WHOOOOP!! ...that azz.

4. 2001 Citrus Bowl - nothing more than a beat down which no one outside of Tennessee saw coming.

3. 1996 Citrus Bowl - Both UT and OSU were tied at #3 going into this game. Bill Duff's goal line stand with the UT D against Eddie George.

2. 1986 Sugar Bowl - overrated miami and jimmy johnson go down!! nothing better.

1. 1999 Fiesta Bowl - nuff said
[snapback]110934[/snapback]​

I'll second that list! Nice. :thumbsup:

I'll also add to the 2005 depiction: A completely dominating performance by a team striken with injury prepares the Vols for a climb and long stand atop the nation's elite.

Originally posted by GAVol@Jul 7, 2005 12:47 PM
The two things I remember about the 91 Sugar Bowl are that it seemed like Andy Kelly didn't miss a single throw in the 4th quarter and seeing Amsler catch that swing pass and actually hurdle a guy.
[snapback]110958[/snapback]​

Greg Amsler was one of the most underrated players in UT football.

I was on the 15th row, 50 yard line for us killing Michigan in 2001 Citrus Bowl I'm definitly going with that.

In which year did we play Minnesota and Lee Greenwood sang Proud To Be An American? It might not have been a bowl game, but I remember we won.

I got more entertainment from 'Sota's band playing Rocky Top after they whooped up on Bama. Grade A entertainment.

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jul 8, 2005 7:27 PM
In which year did we play Minnesota and Lee Greenwood sang Proud To Be An American? It might not have been a bowl game, but I remember we won.
[snapback]111404[/snapback]​

The 1986 Liberty Bowl in Memphis. I was 21 and a senior in college.

Originally posted by GAVol@Jul 7, 2005 10:54 AM
I was only 13, but I can remember the sinking feeling I had when Testaverde through a TD pass to Michael Irvin on the opening drive.  Little did I know that we were about to reel off 35 unanswered.  :pepper:
[snapback]110909[/snapback]​

That sinking feeling you had was probably puberty related..

Originally posted by VOL_AHOLIC@Jul 7, 2005 11:20 AM
[snapback]110934[/snapback]​

Great game. Sports writers saying Tennessee doesn't have a chance stopping Eddie George. :dlol:

BTW does anyone know where I can find a copy of that game?

86 Sugar Bowl. No one in the country gave us a chance of even playing Miami close. The pre-game show had Jimmy Johnson talking about how the canes deserved to be #1 since they had already beaten Oklahoma earlier that season. I'll never forget John Wards call of Jeff Powell's long TD run. What an awsome performance!

VN Store

Back