Favorite golf major

I'll say the Masters. US Open is 2nd followed by The Open which is a close 3rd. PGA is last.

With the Masters you always know what you're getting. The USGA has ruined the enjoyment of watching the US Open on occasion with their rediculously stupid setups. The Open is fun to watch because it's something different. Add some elements & it's really fun. Watching somebody hit 3wood 180 yards is fun to watch. The PGA just seems like the black sheep major.

I think govols is discrediting the PGA Championship a little. It's nowhere near my favorite, but I like having one major with perfect conditions and perfect setups for scoring to see what the pros can do. My favorite though is the Open. The pageantry, history and setup of links golf is always exciting. Makes golfers get really creative, especially when the rain and wind become factors. That's followed by the Masters and then I'm torn between the PGA and US Open. As govols mentioned, the USGA has ruined the US Open by trying to create the meanest rough, slickest greens and undulations that are impossible to do anything with. It's probably about two years away from becoming Caddyshack 2's course.

I'll say the Masters. US Open is 2nd followed by The Open which is a close 3rd. PGA is last.

With the Masters you always know what you're getting. The USGA has ruined the enjoyment of watching the US Open on occasion with their rediculously stupid setups. The Open is fun to watch because it's something different. Add some elements & it's really fun. Watching somebody hit 3wood 180 yards is fun to watch. The PGA just seems like the black sheep major.

I concur

US Open, Masters, Open Championship, PGA. I love the Masters but probably because it comes first. US Open is my clear #1. Masters & Open are very close and in any given year could be my favorite. PGA is a distant 4th and in the same class as Players Championship and possibly the Memorial other big regular tournaments.

Masters and US Open. Masters for the tradition, US Open because an amateur can conceivably win it.

It's only a major in goofy historic contexts, but the Amateur ranks with the Masters as best for pure golf.

Masters.............US Open..Open Championship..............................................................................................PGA

For what it's worth, the Ryder Cup is far superior to all majors. The Ryder Cup might be more exciting to me than the World Series or March Madness, meaning it is my favorite sporting event altogether.

got miserable through the mid 90s and you got a bunch of flukey looking champs in the 90s.

Not sure about that. The only guy who won in the entire 1990s that I had never heard of was Steve Jones. You had a few guys who won what would be their first of multiples.

Not sure about that. The only guy who won in the entire 1990s that I had never heard of was Steve Jones. You had a few guys who won what would be their first of multiples.

You go back just a little further and you start seeing guys like Andy North, Scott Simpson, Corey Pavin. Even Lee Janzen was a little fluky feeling.

VN Store

Back