Favorite golf major

US Open, Masters, Open Championship, PGA. I love the Masters but probably because it comes first. US Open is my clear #1. Masters & Open are very close and in any given year could be my favorite. PGA is a distant 4th and in the same class as Players Championship and possibly the Memorial other big regular tournaments.

Yeah, I guess 2x winners can be fluky :)
I knew somebody would say that, and you may even have a point. But there's just something screwy about guys like Janzen and North winning the thing twice each, yet only having about 10 total tour wins between them.

The ability to put a ball in play, hit somewhere on the green, & 2 putt has won a few US Opens. It doesn't always identify the best player just someone who was able to avoid train wrecks & minimize damage control.

What I don't like about it is the way the rough overpenalizes and completely neutralizes distance. I don't think they should set it up so that they can play "bomb and gouge" golf, but growing hay 6 feet off the fairway is ridiculous. At least give them a 10 yard primary cut of rough around the fairway where they have a fighting chance to advance the ball up around green. Lord knows that the way they dry out and shave the greens, hardly anything hit out of primary cut is going to hold a green anyway.

Completely taking away short game, save lag putting, is a poor way to do it. Make the fairway rough brutal and the greens nasty, but leave something around the greens.

Perhaps widen the fairways a bit as well. There were a few that I would have had trouble throwing the ball into.

VN Store

Back