Favorite Opening Game For You?

06' Cal game was a blast and the best opener I've been to. But, I must say the 98' Arkansas game was probably the loudest game I've been to. In fact, the 06' Cal game is the last time I can remember Neyland being Neyland.

So now, seven years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Knoxville and look towards the Tennessee River and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the big orange wave finally broke and rolled back.

And we make fun of other teams' fans. :loco:

It couldn't have been too much worse than the '92 UF game where Ericht Rhett was just abused by the student section.

That's when the SEC came in and made UT switch sides, unless they wanted to move the student section to the West side...and that wasn't happening.

I was there. I was 12. That was a LOUD game!! That was probably the most fun ever. There were 100k white cups on Florida's sideline floating in 2feet of water. And we just pounded them and never quit.

I won't research the year but about 70-72. A 12th game was added to the season. As their 12th games, TN and Penn State played the closing game of one year and the opening game of the next year.

Billy Majors had been killed with other coached in a train wreck. Before the game, the entire Majors family gathered on the field in a ceremony to honor Billy. Each were presented a jersey.

Bobby Majors then went onto the field a played one of the greatest football games I have ever watched. He returned kicks until on the last one he fell from exhaustion. TN drubbed PSU, and Paterno said he would never again bring a team into the South before Oct.

1970 was the first year in which eleven regular season games were played, thus making a twelfth game possible if you qualified for a bowl game. The Penn State game in which Bobby Majors dominated via kick and punt returns was played on 12/4/71; Tennessee routed the fifth-ranked Nittany Lions 31-11. The following season, Tennessee played its first home night game vs. Penn State on the second week of the season, having defeated Georgia Tech soundly, 34-3, in the opener. The Big Orange won that second game, 28-21. See Tennessee Historical Scores.

1989 UCLA game out in California. I've never seen that may UT fans travel that far for a game. We played awesome, but what I remember the most was how many Vol fans were there. And UCLA was supposed to be a juggernaut.

Last edited:
1989 UCLA game out in California. I've never seen that may UT fans travel that far for a game. We played awesome, but what I remember the most was how many Vol fans were. And UCLA was supposed to be a juggernaut.

Sorry. This was our 2nd game. But still.:thumbsup:

western kentucky was mine in 09 drove 7 1/2 hours to see kiffen turn ut into the old power house of old.... needless to say it was never meant to be..... but we blew wku out!!!!

I thought last years Chic Fil A game was a blast. Everybody was high in NC State for some reason. And then CP came into the scene, and Bray looked good. The D held Glennon, who ESPN tended to think was great. We played great and the glass was full if only for one night.

Disclaimer: this is just my 5th yr of being a season ticket holder, so I'm not quite as seasoned as the majority on here.

Me? I think outside the box, therefore:

My favorite opening game has yet to be played. It's UT vs. USCw, either at Neyland or a neutral site, perhaps Horseshoe Stadium. Horseshoe? No, I'm not crazy. In addition to hordes of Vols fans, I promise you USC-hating OSU fans would show up in our support. That would one heayall of an atmosphere. TV revenue would exit the road and threaten Neptune's orbit. Urban Meyer would fume. Start negotiating now. Or maybe better yet, the Arrowhead Stadium. Go for the gusto or don't go at all.

Reactions: 1 person
Let me go ahead and add to the chorus for the 06 Cal game. Coming off of the 05 season and the hype Cal was getting made the build up to that game gut wrenching. I honestly felt like I was going to puke before kick off. I didn't calm down until it was 21-0. It probably took a week for my voice to recover.

VN Store

Back