Favorite Vol Play of All Time

duckman398686

VN's One and Only
What's y'alls input on this? This is not to be confused with most intense play such as a game winning field goal, etc. But one of the most athletic plays you have ever witnessed as a vol fan. I would have to go with the 40 yard screen pass that mose phillips ran while bouncing off about 7 or 8 gamecocks in the process. to score a td.

tee martin too peerless price a couple of times in the NC game in '98 were pretty good i thought, and the clausen to witten to beat ARK. wasnt bad either :bow:

1) Dale Jones interception against Bama.

2) Deon Grant one-handed interception vs. Florida

3) Bill Duff pulling down Eddie George on the 1-yard line.

Those are a few of my favorites.

I vote for the Stoener Stumble!...freaky cool confirmation of the devine destiny for TENNESSEE!

Dale Carter's kickoff return for TD to start the 2nd half against Florida in 1990.

The game went from being a 7-3 slugfest to a 45-3 blowout due to the momentum of that return.

Always one of my favorites because it is still probably one of the worst losses that Steve Spurrier ever got.

--------

I'll have to agree with utvolpj regarding the interception by Dale Jones against Alabama (current Tide coach Mike Shula was the QB). Catching the ball at almost point blank range to preserve the Vols 16-14 victory at Legion Field.

Don't forget, Ainge made some pretty amazing plays last year against Florida in the 4th quarter.

Originally posted by utvolpj@Jun 14, 2005 12:01 PM

2) Deon Grant one-handed interception vs. Florida

[snapback]103784[/snapback]​

I'll also have to say that play is one of my favorites.

1996 Alabama game - we're running off tackle plays with the clock winding down just trying to get into overtime and suddenly Jay Graham takes it 78 yards and breaks their hearts.

1983, Also against Alabama... Game tied... Alan Cockrell pitches to Johnnie Jones... 66 yards later,Jones is in the endzone and the Vols break Bama's hearts again.

Sheer Beauty!!

Here's an obscure one . . . 1987 Kickoff Classic. Iowa is on our 4 yard line about to score and they try to run a toss sweep. Linebacker Darin Miller comes through the line and is into the backfield so fast that he actually intercepts the pitch and goes 96 yards the other way.

Two favorites:

at Alabama, 1995 -- first pass of the game from Manning

at Florida, 2003 -- Hail Mary to send the Gators to the halftime locker room with heads hung low

again. remember. it doesn't have to be a game winning play. it was the most "athletic" play you have seen. another example would be the mark jones 90 yard touchdown catch against georgia in 03' where he wrestled the ball away from the defender covering him.

Originally posted by Give him SIX!@Jun 14, 2005 2:59 PM
I vote for the blocked field goal that perserved the win against ND, but I forget the year.
[snapback]103854[/snapback]​

I think you mean the Miracle @ South Bend when UT blocked a kick at the end of the 1st half in 1991. Tyrone Hines (i think) ran it for a TD to start the comeback.

My top picks have already been mentioned (Dale Jones int. against Bama and the Iowa switcheroo).

How about these:

UT vs. UGA - looks like a broken play with Peyton diving into the line on a forced scramble. There is no hole so he backs out of the scrum, scrambles a bit and tosses a TD!

UT vs. Bama - same game as Dale Jones int on Mikey Shula - T-Rob throws a beauty to Joey Clinkscales who makes one of his patented over the shoulder/head catches.

UT vs. Miami (Sugarbowl) - 2 here. 1) William Powell?(track guy) takes a hand-off late in the game and cuts outside and burns everyone on Miami (including Blades) to the endzone. 2) not as athletic but our running back is going in for a TD and fumbles into the endzone - Tim McGee dives on it for a UT TD.

There was a guy named Houston Thomas? that was a wedge breaker on kick-off coverage that completely sacrificed his body. Always fun to watch. He dove right through a blocker or two and straight into the return man and wiped him out. Looked like he was a bowling ball hitting the pins. Old Johnny Majors said Houston "busted a gut" getting down the field.

Originally posted by utvolpj@Jun 14, 2005 4:08 PM
I think you mean the Miracle @ South Bend when UT blocked a kick at the end of the 1st half in 1991.  Tyrone Hines (i think) ran it for a TD to start the comeback.
[snapback]103882[/snapback]​

The other block was to seal the win. I believe our guy got in so fast that he dove past the ball and it actually hit him in the butt enough to go short and right!

I think it was a back-up kicker because the starter ?Lee? was hurt on the block at the end of the half.

Originally posted by volinbham@Jun 14, 2005 4:14 PM
The other block was to seal the win.  I believe our guy got in so fast that he dove past the ball and it actually hit him in the butt enough to go short and right!

I think it was a back-up kicker because the starter ?Lee? was hurt on the block at the end of the half.
[snapback]103885[/snapback]​

You're right, I had the 1st block stuck in my head because it is the only thing that saved our TV (from my mom's shoe!)

Also, whenever Peyton ran the naked bootleg on the goal line. It was a thing of beauty! B)

THe best play I've personally been in attendance would probably be the 4th down scramble by Clausen @ Bama in 2003. That was the most nerve racking play I've ever seen going on.

volinbham it was Jeff Powell and it was definitely quite the run. He really showwed his world class speed on that play.

Can't say I remember Houston Thomas. I do remermber a guy being a wedge buster on kickoffs though, not sure if that was his name. Anybody else remember.

A play forgotten because of Greg Burke's inability to make a chip shot is Alvin Harper's one hand grab at Auburn in 1990. Carl Pickens also victimized Auburn with a couple of spectacular plays the next year in Knoxville.

VN Store

Back