Few Random Notes

vegasvolfan

Why go back to a place that sold you down the road
Not sure where to post some of these.

Ethan Davis had some nice catches.

I have been wondering why we didn’t get many sacks, but as I watch the game again, I am reminded that UTC had some big uglies on both sides of the line. I do hope to see more production in that realm.

I thought I heard the announcer say we had ZERO fumbles last year. That’s insane. Is that true?

On that note, I wouldn’t be surprised if opposing teams get zero opportunities to return a kickoff with Turbyville back there. What a leg.

Baron is missed. Played well for Miami.

Why did JP only get 10 snaps?

Merklinger looks like the better backup from what little I saw. I think the score would have been higher had he stayed in.

Our receivers look legit.

Did UTC keep its first stringers in?

Davis is going to ball in this offense...he could be the TE that Heupel has been looking for since coming to UT.

Banks rotated A CRAP TON of guys on the Defense to get guys that have little experience some much needed game experience against a decent squad. That contributed to the lack of sacks and TFLs as well as JP only playing 10 snaps and Pilli only playing like 15.

Turbyville needs to keep booming the kickoff. Takes a facet of any opponent away as most good teams have a burner return guy that's good for a long return each game.

Meh in Baron. Dude didn't want to be here, but I'm not sold on him being "missed" with JP and Pilli and the young guys in line.

Game needs to slow down for Merklinger. You could tell Moore was the better manager at speed while Merk looked panicked at times and wasn't reading through progressions and such.

Finally...YES...our receivers are LEGIT!!!
When Squirrel White inly gets like 3 targets for 22yds, you know the WR room is stacked.

Last edited:

I have been wondering why we didn’t get many sacks, but as I watch the game again, I am reminded that UTC had some big uglies on both sides of the line. I do hope to see more production in that realm.

I thought I heard the announcer say we had ZERO fumbles last year. That’s insane. Is that true?

On that note, I wouldn’t be surprised if opposing teams get zero opportunities to return a kickoff with Turbyville back there. What a leg.

Merklinger looks like the better backup from what little I saw. I think the score would have been higher had he stayed in.

JP doesn’t need many snaps in this game in my opinion. The younger guys need those reps to get ready for the season. We need that depth to be ready as soon as possible and honestly, it’s a luxury to be able to do that. Makes me confident we’re moving in the right direction.

Baron is not missed. Good riddance

JP doesn’t need many snaps in this game in my opinion. The younger guys need those reps to get ready for the season. We need that depth to be ready as soon as possible and honestly, it’s a luxury to be able to do that. Makes me confident we’re moving in the right direction.

It's something to watch. While West was out there smoking some Mocs, JP's 10 snaps graded very poorly, especially compared to his usual production, he did absolutely nothing. Is he banged up? Did he get pulled for not giving 100%? Is it a big ol' nothing burger because 10 snaps against UTC means nothing?

Probably the last one, right?

Reactions: vegasvolfan
Davis is going to ball in this offense...he could be the TE that Heupel has been looking for since coming to UT.

Banks rotated A CRAP TON of guys on the Defense to get guys that have little experience some much needed game experience against a decent squad. That contributed to the lack of sacks and TFLs as well as JP only playing 10 snaps and Pilli only playing like 15.

Turbyville needs to keep booming the kickoff. Takes a facet of any opponent away as most good teams have a burner return guy that's good for a long return each game.

Meh in Baron. Dude didn't want to be here, but I'm not sold on him being "missed" with JP and Pilli and the young guys in line.

Game needs to slow down for Merklinger. You could tell Moore was the better manager at speed while Merk looked panicked at times and wasn't reading through progressions and such.

Finally...YES...our receivers are LEGIT!!!
When Squirrel White inly gets like 3 targets for 22yds, you know the WR room is stacked.
I appreciate the time on responding to multiple items, because I was hoping to have conversation and answers around the majority of them, but none of them really required its own thread alone, and I could not find a good place for some of them.

I certainly hope so. I was excited to have him back. Did we play two TEs at a time against UTC? I thought we were going to do that this year.

Yes, I considered the point, after my post, that UTC wasn’t on the field much, because they didn’t convert many third downs, but I did not consider the amount of players they rotated in and out. My understanding is they plan on rotating a lot of guys throughout the year, but probably not as many, and some of the guys used are not quite where they want them to be. That, and JP didn’t play but 10 snaps. So, those 3 points together, make a lot of sense out of the low sack and TFL numbers. They may be a very good ratio considering the low number of snaps. So, I I feel better about that and will wait and see how we fare against better completion.

I don’t remember having a guy like Turbyville. I remember having a guy that did it often, but not every single kickoff. Especially nice to see it from a local kid whose Mother I grew up with. His Dad was a QB somewhere in Ktown I think. Good dude and she is one of my favorite gals.

From what I am reading, Baron signed an NIL deal, but he was going to Louisville before that. Not sure if they had a deal going with him or not, but clearly he wanted something we could or would not give him. Can’t deny his talent. I wish I knew all the facts, but then again, it is what it is.

Yeah I looked at Merklinger’s stats again. He didn’t have many plays. I probably jumped the gun. Wouldn’t have been the first time.

Yeah, SW sort of tapered off last year. Seems he is not at the top of our rotation this year. Is he not developing? He seemed like he was on track to be a star. I am glad they found something for him in the return game. He’s been a good kid, committed, and he’s FAST. Good hands too, albeit he like all of our receivers had a hard time last year. I don’t think it was entirely about Joe. I think our rhythm was off, because our OL struggled against better competition. We still have yet to stack our oline with experienced stars across the board. Same goes with highly touted Dline guys. I think we have more than we have since perhaps having both Mays brothers and Wright on the OL.

Reactions: IndianaVol
It's something to watch. While West was out there smoking some Mocs, JP's 10 snaps graded very poorly, especially compared to his usual production, he did absolutely nothing. Is he banged up? Did he get pulled for not giving 100%? Is it a big ol' nothing burger because 10 snaps against UTC means nothing?

That’s what I am wondering. I think Heupel keeps that stuff on the DL. No I don’t mean defensive line 😂

3 outta 5 plays by Mocs were running plays. And Mocs QB didn't just hear footsteps, he heard a herd of Rhinoceros footsteps coming at him full speed, so he knew to toss the pigskin quickly or, die trying!
3 outta 5 plays by Mocs were running plays. And Mocs QB didn't just hear footsteps, he heard a herd of Rhinoceros footsteps coming at him full speed, so he knew to toss the pigskin quickly or, die trying!
Well put, but I hate the word herd, because it makes me think of the team in burgundy lol.

Reactions: IndianaVol
I appreciate the time on responding to multiple items, because I was hoping to have conversation and answers around the majority of them, but none of them really required its own thread alone, and I could not find a good place for some of them.

I certainly hope so. I was excited to have him back. Did we play two TEs at a time against UTC? I thought we were going to do that this year.

Yes, I considered the point, after my post, that UTC wasn’t on the field much, because they didn’t convert many third downs, but I did not consider the amount of players they rotated in and out. My understanding is they plan on rotating a lot of guys throughout the year, but probably not as many, and some of the guys used are not quite where they want them to be. That, and JP didn’t play but 10 snaps. So, those 3 points together, make a lot of sense out of the low sack and TFL numbers. They may be a very good ratio considering the low number of snaps. So, I I feel better about that and will wait and see how we fare against better completion.

I don’t remember having a guy like Turbyville. I remember having a guy that did it often, but not every single kickoff. Especially nice to see it from a local kid whose Mother I grew up with. His Dad was a QB somewhere in Ktown I think. Good dude and she is one of my favorite gals.

From what I am reading, Baron signed an NIL deal, but he was going to Louisville before that. Not sure if they had a deal going with him or not, but clearly he wanted something we could or would not give him. Can’t deny his talent. I wish I knew all the facts, but then again, it is what it is.

Yeah I looked at Merklinger’s stats again. He didn’t have many plays. I probably jumped the gun. Wouldn’t have been the first time.

Yeah, SW sort of tapered off last year. Seems he is not at the top of our rotation this year. Is he not developing? He seemed like he was on track to be a star. I am glad they found something for him in the return game. He’s been a good kid, committed, and he’s FAST. Good hands too, albeit he like all of our receivers had a hard time last year. I don’t think it was entirely about Joe. I think our rhythm was off, because our OL struggled against better competition. We still have yet to stack our oline with experienced stars across the board. Same goes with highly touted Dline guys. I think we have more than we have since perhaps having both Mays brothers and Wright on the OL.
I haven't watched the replay yet, but I think we did run a couple of 2 TE sets...basically the ol' Sean Payton Saints 5 wide out set. Can really work well when executed and you have the threats at WR and TE. Makes Defenses second and third guess where to cover.

One thing I did see from Merk was his pass choice. I mean yes, it was likely the 1st route but he delivered well and on time the couple of times he did throw the ball.

Not real sure what is going on with SW other than maybe with Bru and Thorton back and Brazell transferring in he just hasn't got the 1 on 1 time with Nico to build timing and a comfort level. Really hope that changes as he could end being a huge X factor for us in a big game.

Always enjoy talking game talk with solid, rational people.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
Everything is wonderful. Glad so many players were able to get PT. It helps develop them at game speed and keeps them happy. We may need some of these kids later on. Gaston is fine. He just needs reps to get over the jitters. Merk is a Frosh and he did well for game 1 of the season. The sky is not falling. We won like we should have won. No Georgia State in CJH future.

Actual footage of OP at 2 PM today.
1725326646998.gif

Reactions: BreatheUT and McDad
Y’all seriously worried about Squirrel after one game? The first team offense wasn’t out there a whole lot, first of all. Second of all, Nico’s going to throw to the open guy. Squirrel will get his when we need him to. Relaaax.
But what about Pearce, he barely played!! Oh my gosh, I think I am getting the vapors!

80% the last one. Grading 10 snaps is not even worth grading to be honest. Not enough data whatsoever. If there is anything that I am sure of on this football team, it is that James Pearce is an elite football player. Now, as far as him being banged up a little bit, I don’t know.. Maybe. Either way you’d probably like him to rest. But in my opinion, if he was banged up, he wouldn’t have played 1 snap.

I guess it's perfectly normal, but the over reactions after one game, every year by seemingly every fan base, are really pretty hilarious.

VN Store

Back