Finally! A way to merge football and politics

volinbham

VN GURU
Check out this thread from the Bears board.

It starts out as a complimentary review of some Bear fans experience at the game and quickly turns into to criticism of the convocation prior to the game. :jpshakehead:

If there was ever any doubt that the West Coast lefties have a wildly different view of things than those in the South, this should end that debate.

view from Knoxville - www.scout.com

They seem to argue the Bill of Rights pretty strongly for a site in which one has to apply for access (after registering with the board) and be preapproved to make public statements...

I thought the one Cal fan hit the nail on the head about the elitist "tolerance" that is tolerant of just about any view as long as it is consistent with theirs!

Having lived in Southern California (Culver City) for 9 years before moving here to Austin, I can say without reservation, that northern California residents are MUCH more elitist in their behaviour and double standard way of looking at things than ANYONE in the rest of the state. You must remember, we ARE talking about Berkeley, the hot-bed of the hippie movement. ; )

I thought the one Cal fan hit the nail on the head about the elitist "tolerance" that is tolerant of just about any view as long as it is consistent with theirs!

:lolabove:

Also, they should do a little history lesson, on why we are called "The Volunteers" before calling us "Bad Americans"

I know some idiot Cal fans reacted weird to the whole prayer thing. I got the gist of it from the main forum. But it kinda got me thinking, with some comments made in the main forum.

Reading it and reading Cal forums, it's just reinforcing for me how truly different cultures are between the west coast and the south. Religion is just not a big part of daily life for people over here. There is a small portion of the population that attends Church/Temple/Mosque/etc. regularly. But it's just weird and highly unusual to see religious practice on any large scale and/or in a public setting.

The same kind of unsettling feeling is what sparks some over here to react so harshly to things like "In God We Trust", public display of the ten commandments, etc. While I agree that they are going too far in their reactions, there is reason behind it.

Some people just naturally react to something that is unusual to them, and often in a harsh manner.

I make a point to do this... Next time you are about to judge the actions of another, put yourself in their shoes. Understanding makes all the difference in the world.

Nah, I agree with you man.

My point is more like this... Instead of Cal fan wrongly making a nervous reaction to the religious display and the Tennessee fan wrongly berating them for it, have the Cal fan realize "Hey, I'm in the south. Religion is a lot bigger deal here than it is back home." And if he doesn't do that then then try at least to realize that the setting is simply different. You can't expect everyone to come in and be fully knowing and accepting of a different environment.

I know some idiot Cal fans reacted weird to the whole prayer thing. I got the gist of it from the main forum. But it kinda got me thinking, with some comments made in the main forum.

Reading it and reading Cal forums, it's just reinforcing for me how truly different cultures are between the west coast and the south. Religion is just not a big part of daily life for people over here. There is a small portion of the population that attends Church/Temple/Mosque/etc. regularly. But it's just weird and highly unusual to see religious practice on any large scale and/or in a public setting.

The same kind of unsettling feeling is what sparks some over here to react so harshly to things like "In God We Trust", public display of the ten commandments, etc. While I agree that they are going too far in their reactions, there is reason behind it.

Some people just naturally react to something that is unusual to them, and often in a harsh manner.

I make a point to do this... Next time you are about to judge the actions of another, put yourself in their shoes. Understanding makes all the difference in the world.

:boredom:

In the same board, Cal fans called us "Bad Amercians" , what am i not "understanding?"

I see what you're saying Milo but the tone of the comments was the most annoying thing to me.

One of the complainers started his/her comments by characterizing the fans as 100,000 bourbon soaked, crazy somethings then went on to suggest that it is hypocritical for these people to pray. To me, this shows near contempt for religion and its expression. In the next sentence, the same poster expresses that the act put them in an awkward situation. Clearly, if their minds were more open this would have been a non-issue.

It is also bothersome because religious expression of this nature is essentially a cultural tradition. If instead of a prayer, there was a whole-field square dance then nobody would have been bothered (bored probably). It's just that religious expression draws such an intolerant, even hostile reaction that is bothersome.

I suppose these fans should not attend the Indy 500 since it always has a convocation.

In fact, pretty much every auto race I've attended has a convocation prior to the event.

I'm not the most religious person out there, infact I'm not religious at all, but it's not asking a whole lot to respect other people's beliefs and their right to practice it however they want. I'm sure it's a culture shock to be thrown into it like that, but just because you disagree with it doesn't make it ok for you to start throwing around the tired misconceptions of the South as whole.

I'm not the most religious person out there, infact I'm not religious at all, but it's not asking a whole lot to respect other people's beliefs and their right to practice it however they want. I'm sure it's a culture shock to be thrown into it like that, but just because you disagree with it doesn't make it ok for you to start throwing around the tired misconceptions of the South as whole.

I'm right there with you.

it's all about them being in an "awkward position". they feel left out and just cant stand it. They might have grown up not knowing what not getting their way feels like and therefor can't handle it as adults. They might never have had to face failure or rejection but you have to face things like that because that's what happens in the real world. People that complained need to get over themselves and man up. You cant always have it the way you want it. Things arent always gonna go the way you want it.

I dont think Vol fans would complain about there not being a prayer before the game in Berkeley.

I think it would be absolutely fantastic if the Pride traveled to Berkeley next season and Amazing Grace in place of Rocky Top every time we scored on them (which, of course, would be a lot.)

ITS PARTY TIME!

ricflair.jpg

They seem to argue the Bill of Rights pretty strongly for a site in which one has to apply for access (after registering with the board) and be preapproved to make public statements...

Does OWB not see the silliness of this liberal thing. Convert, man.

VN Store

Back