‘23 FL WR Aidan Mizell (Florida commit)

Quite alot when they start playing competition where everyone can run. Who was the last elite college WR that didn't have great speed?

Yeah. And part of being able to play... is being faster and quicker than the other guy.

LOL... he was a "good" college player. He was not a "5*" college player.
Tate is already playing competition and putting up numbers. He's the best WR on the best highschool team in America. He scored 2 TDs vs Bishop Sycamore.

Last edited:
Tate is already playing competition and putting up numbers. He's the best WR on the best highschool team in America. He scored 2 TDs vs Bishop Sycamore.
As I have stated repeatedly, I am just going off his Hudl videos. A 5*, best WR in the country type of player should be able to get off coverage and outrun HS DB's more than he appears to do in those videos. Maybe he dominates otherwise... but I didn't tell him which videos to post.

Almost like i dont tell the coaches who to recruit. If the coaches see something then it is ok by me.
For sure. IIRC, this started with someone else's assumptions about where various WR's were on UT's board. I don't know. I don't claim to know. I honestly don't think anyone outside the staff has direct access to that information.

Coaches obviously look at hours of video compared to the minutes fans get on Hudl or youtube.

So while I get why you might have directed that comment at me... it would be better directed at those who claim to "know" things. I have frequently acknowledged that I'm working off limited information.

But for your own edification, compare the few available clips for Tate to Kasper's Jr season video. One of the things that jumps off the screen is how quick, fast, and fluid Kasper is. His acceleration off the line is excellent. He makes you forget that he's 6'5". He moves like a 5'10" guy.

The very limited video available for Tate... looks a lot like the other very good WR's being discussed here. But nothing really just stands out as obviously superior in comparing the best to THE best.

sjt18 said:
I watched Tate's video and honestly came away wondering what everyone else was seeing.

Wow, thought I was the only one.Five star or not he's not on my wish list,if I was told he was a three star before watching his highlight tape I would have believed it. May be alot more to him than that tape but the tape itself was a let down for a five star.

I don’t know what you are not seeing that all these other teams and recruiting analysts are. Tates film is elite. Speed. Hands. Routes. Mizell has 5* film IMO. But let’s not pretend like Tate isn’t elite. Because he is.

Rogers was a good college WR. What was "phenomenal" about him? He had one good season. About 630 of his 1040 yds came against 5 teams- Buffalo, MTSU, Montana, Cincy (w/ Hunter), and Vandy. Wouldn't call that "phenomenal" at all. Compare that to Tillman who showed up against the best competition.

Rogers was also hamstrung by Dooley and Chaney and had Justin Hunter on the opposite side of him taking touches away. In this offense he’s EASILY the top WR

Reactions: Smokey19rt
As I have stated repeatedly, I am just going off his Hudl videos. A 5*, best WR in the country type of player should be able to get off coverage and outrun HS DB's more than he appears to do in those videos. Maybe he dominates otherwise... but I didn't tell him which videos to post.
Not trying to call you out on this and your previous posts buuuuut…. If you’ve watched Tate’s Hudl/Highlights, while knowing he’s playing against some of the best competition in the country, and not come away impressed…I don’t think evaluating talent is in the cards for you.

No he doesn’t have Tyreek Hill speed that jumps off of the screen, but neither do nearly all of the best receivers in the nfl. He’s just that Keenan Allan.
Cooper Cupp, Devante Adams, etc, etc type receiver who is always open and making big plays in big moments kind of receiver. I would love to have him. He is the receiver I want the most in this class.

Not trying to call you out on this and your previous posts buuuuut…. If you’ve watched Tate’s Hudl/Highlights, while knowing he’s playing against some of the best competition in the country, and not come away impressed…I don’t think evaluating talent is in the cards for you.
The competition isn't identified in the youtube video. Like I said, he looks similar to some of the really good WR's being discussed here. He does not look distinctly better. Kasper does look better without regard to competition. He is really big and plays like a small guy.

With all due respect to your obvious bona fides as an expert talent evaluator... I've made pretty clear what I mean and have acknowledged the limitations of the information I'm going on.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Rogers was also hamstrung by Dooley and Chaney and had Justin Hunter on the opposite side of him taking touches away. In this offense he’s EASILY the top WR
You can't prove that. Not even close. I didn't dislike Rogers but he was in no way "hamstrung" by the Dooley Chaney offense. In those 3 years where Dooley got out of the way and let Chaney run basically what he wanted... UT's passing O was 4th, 3rd, and then 2nd in the SEC. In each of those seasons UT threw more than 400 times... the Vols only threw 375 times in their up tempo O last year.

BTW, the best O of those 3 was 2012... when Rogers was no longer playing.

Rogers was a "good" college receiver. He couldn't cut it in the NFL. He was never dominant and especially against top competition.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
You can't prove that. Not even close. I didn't dislike Rogers but he was in no way "hamstrung" by the Dooley Chaney offense. In those 3 years where Dooley got out of the way and let Chaney run basically what he wanted... UT's passing O was 4th, 3rd, and then 2nd in the SEC. In each of those seasons UT threw more than 400 times... the Vols only threw 375 times in their up tempo O last year.

BTW, the best O of those 3 was 2012... when Rogers was no longer playing.

Rogers was a "good" college receiver. He couldn't cut it in the NFL. He was never dominant and especially against top competition.
That is true. It’s also true that Bray played roughly the same number of games in 2012 as he did 10-11 combined. Wonder if that had anything to do with it?

No he doesn’t have Tyreek Hill speed that jumps off of the screen, but neither do nearly all of the best receivers in the nfl. He’s just that Keenan Allan.
Cooper Cupp, Devante Adams, etc, etc type receiver who is always open and making big plays in big moments kind of receiver. I would love to have him. He is the receiver I want the most in this class.

No WR has Tyreek Hill type of speed. None. As a matter of fact there isn’t a WR that even comes close. That dude is special.

Maybe to bring a little unity back to this discussion... we're arguing over who UT might get out of some of the best HS WR's in the country. That's a much better conversation to have than we've had in previous years.
I just don't get why so many Vol fans think poorly of some former Vols. Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers were some of the most talented players Tennessee has had in the last 20 years. Both of their careers here could have gone better, but that's not because of a lack of talent. So many posters also love to talk down on CP who was a great player for the Vols and have had a successful pro career also.

I don't have anything other than video to go on.... and that isn't completely reliable. Who puts anything unimpressive on their highlight video? However just based on those videos Kasper looks the best.

Not trying to goad you guys. I'm just trying to learn. Challenging assumptions and things not easily understood is part of that process.

From VQ on Noah Rogers - this is all I've been trying to say about Mizell:
"Tennessee has also been working Noah Rogers pretty hard of late in an effort to get him to campus. There is a lot of dialogue there but until he gets here for a visit it’s hard to look at Tennessee as a major factor. Once he arrives, and if things go well then we will believe Tennessee will be just that."

I just don't get why so many Vol fans think poorly of some former Vols. Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers were some of the most talented players Tennessee has had in the last 20 years. Both of their careers here could have gone better, but that's not because of a lack of talent. So many posters also love to talk down on CP who was a great player for the Vols and have had a successful pro career also.
I loved Hunter and other than being a bit of a head case I liked Rogers. I do wish both and Bray had played in a better time and culture. But from a purely talent and performance standpoint, I don't think Rogers was worthy of a 5* rating. I think Hunter was closer than Rogers. Patterson was a pretty amazing talent. Wish he'd been a Vol longer.

VN Store

Back