Football fun again for Bituli, freakish MLB ready to 'step up'

kamoshika

When you walk out onto Haslam Field, a few Tennessee players quickly grab your eye. No. 35 in Orange is at the top of that list. Sophomore linebacker Daniel Bituli is a man-child, with a chiseled 6-foot-3, 250-pound frame and a quiet, no nonsense attitude.

Bituli cracked heads on special teams last season, but the sophomore linebacker is ready to make a name for himself on defense in Year 2. This spring, football is suddenly “fun" again for Bituli, as the Nashville native expressed frustrations during a freshman season struggling to learn the scheme. “That definitely kept me off the field a lot, and I just don’t want that to be an excuse this year,” Bituli said Tuesday. “I just want to go out there and help my team.”

https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/football-fun-again-for-bituli-freakish-mlb-ready-to-step-up-

Reactions: 18 people
This kid has as much NFL potential as any player on team 121. I'm such a huge fan of Bituli.

He just might be good enough at MLB to move Darrin Kirkland Jr. to his more natural position of weakside linebacker.

I hope Bituli, DKjr, and Austin Smith start at linebacker this year. That is our most talented trio.

Reactions: 3 people
Bituli, Kirkland, Smith, Sapp all look like top flight athletes to me. Then when you add in a more mature group of McDowell, Bryant, Bates, Berry, Jumper, then we have a lot better depth than seasons past.

Interestingly, I ran into a close acquaintance (that's all y'all get) of Gavin Bryant tonight in southern Alabama. He is seriously considering transferring after not getting enuf PT. Apparently, WKU is the #1 destination (coach familiarity) and one other. He reportedly completes classes to grad this Spring, so a grad xfer could happen immediately. That said, this particular person was encouraging him to stay the course. Finally, and I've never bought this, but the frustration of "influential boosters" determining PT was shared. Can't imagine who this might be referring to. Found it strange that this was mentioned because I always thought it was just a joke about a particular LB. Hmmm.

Reactions: 5 people
Bituli, Kirkland, Smith, Sapp all look like top flight athletes to me. Then when you add in a more mature group of McDowell, Bryant, Bates, Berry, Jumper, then we have a lot better depth than seasons past.

Interestingly, I ran into a close acquaintance (that's all y'all get) of Gavin Bryant tonight in southern Alabama. He is seriously considering transferring after not getting enuf PT. Apparently, WKU is the #1 destination (coach familiarity) and one other. He reportedly completes classes to grad this Spring, so a grad xfer could happen immediately. That said, this particular person was encouraging him to stay the course. Finally, and I've never bought this, but the frustration of "influential boosters" determining PT was shared. Can't imagine who this might be referring to. Found it strange that this was mentioned because I always thought it was just a joke about a particular LB. Hmmm.

Bryant is no longer on the roster. Happened back in March.

Reactions: 10 people
This kid has as much NFL potential as any player on team 121. I'm such a huge fan of Bituli.

He just might be good enough at MLB to move Darrin Kirkland Jr. to his more natural position of weakside linebacker.

I hope Bituli, DKjr, and Austin Smith start at linebacker this year. That is our most talented trio.

Maybe. He has a very small sample size of play.

Assuming those first 4 names are healthy, we don't have to worry about not having guys with the physical tools we need at LB.

They've gotta develop though.

I'm constantly amazed at the rumor of the LBs dad making huge contributions, thus resulting in playing time. It's not true, and sounds like an excuse others use for their inability to get on the field.

Reactions: 7 people
Interestingly, I ran into a close acquaintance (that's all y'all get) of Gavin Bryant tonight in southern Alabama. He is seriously considering transferring after not getting enuf PT. QUOTE]

Does your friend have any news if Kamara has decided to enter the draft?

:eek:lol:

I think Kamara is waiting on Hurd's decision if he's going to leave the team to see what kind of carries he gets then. Or so I've heard......

Reactions: 1 person
I'm constantly amazed at the rumor of the LBs dad making huge contributions, thus resulting in playing time. It's not true, and sounds like an excuse others use for their inability to get on the field.

Agreed. Bituli's comments confirm had ANY kid been able to have grasped the scheme along with the physical tools he would have seen the field last season. Bituli played as a freshman and others played less than he did!! Tickled Bituli is everything my friends in Nashville said he would be. I have doubts about big kids playing single A ball at a private school. Often these kids are not SEC caliber players, big fish in a little pond syndrome. Bituli can play which opens my eyes somewhat about these youngsters.

I'm pretty sure you have these flipped. DK Jr. has played inside LB since high school and DB played outside. DK has the perfect size and speed to play Mike backer and he's the smartest player on this defense. The field general. DB on the other hand, has the height, length, and speed to play outside. He could even get up on the line and rush the passer. I don't think DK is moving anywhere.

I do think that the second and third linebacker spots are up for grabs, though, and I would love to see Sapp, Bituli, Smith, or Berry take it from McDowell and Jumper. I appreciate what those guys have done but they've been recruited over and it's time to take the training wheels off for the younger, more talented players. Hopefully Lyle doesn't hold them back.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 4 people
Agreed. Bituli's comments confirm had ANY kid been able to have grasped the scheme along with the physical tools he would have seen the field last season. Bituli played as a freshman and others played less than he did!! Tickled Bituli is everything my friends in Nashville said he would be. I have doubts about big kids playing single A ball at a private school. Often these kids are not SEC caliber players, big fish in a little pond syndrome. Bituli can play which opens my eyes somewhat about these youngsters.

He's gonna be good for us I think.

The boosters influencing PT is getting more traction. I've heard the same from my source.

Compete all week in practice and then never see the field on game day.

I'm pretty sure you have these flipped. DK Jr. has played inside LB since high school and DB played outside. DK has the perfect size and speed to play Mike backer and he's the smartest player on this defense. The field general. DB on the other hand, has the height, length, and speed to play outside. He could even get up on the line and rush the passer. I don't think DK is moving anywhere.

I do think that the second and third linebacker spots are up for grabs, though, and I would love to see Sapp, Bituli, Smith, or Berry take it from McDowell and Jumper. I appreciate what those guys have done but they've been recruited over and it's time to take the training wheels off for the younger, more talented players. Hopefully Lyle doesn't hold them back.

Go Vols!
You obviously don't know what you are talking about or who you are talking to. D4H is an above average layman fan. You see he knows a lot more about talent and football... and he watches more football too... so much that he rightly predicted that Dak Prescott was not an NFL caliber QB.

:whistling:

Reactions: 1 person
If Bituli can take 30-40% of the snaps at MLB then that lessens the risk of injury and abuse to DKjr's body. If another guy could take another 10% of the snaps then UT would have championship caliber depth at the MLB position. OLB is a bigger problem but it would be major to solve the MLB problem.

If Bituli can take 30-40% of the snaps at MLB then that lessens the risk of injury and abuse to DKjr's body. If another guy could take another 10% of the snaps then UT would have championship caliber depth at the MLB position. OLB is a bigger problem but it would be major to solve the MLB problem.
Just not the way that position works. The MLB rarely leaves the field and is the QB of the defense.

Reactions: 4 people
The boosters influencing PT is getting more traction. I've heard the same from my source.

Compete all week in practice and then never see the field on game day.

That's why we've had to suffer watching Jumper play and will continue to play for 2 more seasons:(

Go Vols!

Jumper I agree with, but Mcdowell was ranked higher than Sapp, Bituli, Smith, or Berry coming out of high school. Granted, he was listed as a Safety then. I think CM has the talent to lock down a linebacker position. I just don't think he was ever healthy enough last season.

Attachments

• MWSnap468.jpg
    MWSnap468.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 3
  • MWSnap467.jpg
    MWSnap467.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2
  • MWSnap465.jpg
    MWSnap465.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2
  • MWSnap462.jpg
    MWSnap462.jpg