Football fun again for Bituli, freakish MLB ready to 'step up'

The boosters influencing PT is getting more traction. I've heard the same from my source.

Compete all week in practice and then never see the field on game day.

seems_a_little_crazy_weird_al.gif

Reactions: 1 person
That's why we've had to suffer watching Jumper play and will continue to play for 2 more seasons:(

Because his dad paid a lot of money that didn't leave a trail and no one said a thing? K. :boredom:

The Jumper rumour has been in existence since he stepped on campus.

Jumper I agree with, but Mcdowell was ranked higher than Sapp, Bituli, Smith, or Berry coming out of high school. Granted, he was listed as a Safety then. I think CM has the talent to lock down a linebacker position. I just don't think he was ever healthy enough last season.

Good call, I forgot that about CM. Well, hopefully he can stay healthy and the production will catch up with the talent. But, from what I've seen, which is about as much as everyone else watching practice videos and games, nothing he does really jumps out at you. I would love it if he changed my perception and won that job, but it seems like we're hearing more about others.

Good to be having the conversation though. The depth has definitely improved. I can't wait to see what Ignont will bring. He looks like another good player.

Go Vols!

I'm pretty sure you have these flipped. DK Jr. has played inside LB since high school and DB played outside. DK has the perfect size and speed to play Mike backer and he's the smartest player on this defense. The field general. DB on the other hand, has the height, length, and speed to play outside. He could even get up on the line and rush the passer. I don't think DK is moving anywhere.

I do think that the second and third linebacker spots are up for grabs, though, and I would love to see Sapp, Bituli, Smith, or Berry take it from McDowell and Jumper. I appreciate what those guys have done but they've been recruited over and it's time to take the training wheels off for the younger, more talented players. Hopefully Lyle doesn't hold them back.

Go Vols!

DKjr is 6'1" 230 lbs while Bituli is 6'3" 245 lbs. MLB is traditionally the bigger more physical linebacker while the weakside linebacker is the smaller quicker more athletic linebacker.

DKjr is perfectly fine as a MLB but I think he would be even better as a weakside linebacker. It would allow him to use his speed age athleticism even more.

Just not the way that position works. The MLB rarely leaves the field and is the QB of the defense.

Not true... but whatever you say.

If you don't have playing depth at every position and then a good rotation... you have injuries... like UT has continued to suffer to key players.

McDowell is the only other LB who demonstrated SEC caliber ability. He and DKjr are the guys the group has to be built around.

Reactions: 3 people
Good call, I forgot that about CM. Well, hopefully he can stay healthy and the production will catch up with the talent. But, from what I've seen, which is about as much as everyone else watching practice videos and games, nothing he does really jumps out at you. I would love it if he changed my perception and won that job, but it seems like we're hearing more about others.

Good to be having the conversation though. The depth has definitely improved. I can't wait to see what Ignont will bring. He looks like another good player.

Go Vols!

Yes. Thig has the LB room stacked.

I hope McDowell can put together a good season. I watched him a lot when he was in last year(I played weakside) and he isn't bad, he's just not as quick into the hole as he should (especially as compared to Reeves-Maybin). Him Stepping into his role would be huge for the defense. Has all the tools at least.

dkjr is 6'1" 230 lbs while bituli is 6'3" 245 lbs. Mlb is traditionally the bigger more physical linebacker while the weakside linebacker is the smaller quicker more athletic linebacker.

Dkjr is perfectly fine as a mlb but i think he would be even better as a weakside linebacker. It would allow him to use his speed age athleticism even more.

You seem to have a habit of making things up.

This is from the UT Sport website. And I've looked just about everywhere else and DB's weight isn't listed any higher than 238 lbs.

dkjrdb.jpg

Point is, they weigh about the same. Only difference is, DK Jr. is shorter and more stocky. They have comparable speed and athleticism. DK Jr. is "perfectly fine" at MLB because he's the smartest guy on the field, the play caller, field general, mental and emotional leader. Not sure how you could see it any other way. He can be an AA MLB.

Reactions: 3 people
You seem to have a habit of making things up.

This is from the UT Sport website. And I've looked just about everywhere else and DB's weight isn't listed any higher than 238 lbs.

View attachment 129961

Point is, they weigh about the same. Only difference is, DK Jr. is shorter and more stocky. They have comparable speed and athleticism. DK Jr. is "perfectly fine" at MLB because he's the smartest guy on the field, the play caller, field general, mental and emotional leader. Not sure how you could see it any other way. He can be an AA MLB.

I have to agree with D4H here.

Bituli is NFL mike huge

We may actually see more 4-3 formations this year than we have in years! That's great news, in my opinion.

Not true... but whatever you say.

If you don't have playing depth at every position and then a good rotation... you have injuries... like UT has continued to suffer to key players.

So you are saying that your starter gets no more thN 30% of snaps?
I can assure u that isn't the case.

So because he's "NFL mike huge," whatever that means, we should move our best player on defense out of position and replace him with unproven potential?

Apologies... No I was just agreeing that he is much bigger than DK

I completely disagree with moving him to another position

LB play last year was about as bad as I've seen at UT...2017 should be better, especially if Bituli can become a play maker for the Vols
Go Vols

Although I do think he could play it

I think he could play a lot of positions. But that's the reason he's at mlb. He knows what everyone else should be doing.

And I think you'd be surprised at the size difference. DB is taller. That's about it.

So you are saying that your starter gets no more thN 30% of snaps?
I can assure u that isn't the case.

No. I think I said or meant to say that the starter should get 60-70% of the snaps and should have a starter quality back up getting 30% or so.

VN Store

Back